All Year: Yes
Persons: 2 (may vary)
Host ID: 11736
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: November 29, 2013
We are a German non-profit organization devoted to improving education and healthcare in remote villages along the Nam Ou, a few hours north of Luang Prabang. We have been active in the region for six years now, and have constructed educational facilities in four villages while establishing close relations with the local authorities.
At the beginning of June we opened a new healthcare building in Muang Ngoi Neua village, and we are now looking for medical volunteers to come work with us to help us improve the standard of healthcare for the surrounding area.
In addition we just opened our new Vocational Training Center in Nong Khiaw where high qualified professionals teach young Lao people basic skills in welding and concrete construction.
Currently we’re looking for craftsmen, nurses, doctors, health workers and medical specialists to come work side by side the local staff.
Depending on your experience and expertise, your role may entail:
• work as a teacher for a welding or concrete construction course and provide vocational training to young Lao people
• providing training to Lao nurses and doctors of the area
• helping to implement new health and safety policies in the health centers
• examining and treating patients with very limited resources
• giving workshops in topics such as family planning, sexual health, hygiene, first aid, disease prevention etc. in remote villages
• accompanying local nurses on vaccination trips to surrounding villages
In the past, we have also asked for construction workers to come to work for us. At the moment we don’t have any building projects underway, but if you are interested in coming to join our team, please contact us and we can let you know if there are any volunteer positions available in the future.
Depending on your purpose of stay you will be accommodated in a guesthouse or may stay with a host family but in less remote villages (such as Muang Ngoi Neua), however you will more than likely also go on field trips to these villages during your stay.
The organization will cover food, accommodation and visa extension costs.
As a Bamboo School volunteer you will need to:
- be extremely independent, resourceful and able to work on own initiative
-have a flexible schedule
- speak English (German is an asset)
- be confident, easy going, open-minded, reliable and well mannered
- understand Asian mentality, and be highly respectful of local customs and culture
- have a certain experience/maturity/demeanor
- have travel insurance, which also covers evacuation in case of emergencies
Experience working in similar low-income, remote communities would be extremely beneficial.
If you are interested, please send us your resume, a photo and details of your availability along with any other information that might be relevant. We would only ask you not to send data amounts exceeding 2 MB because the internet connections here in Laos can sometimes be slow and choppy around here.
Khawp Jai Lai Lai!
The photos show (from left to right, top to bottom):
- One of our volunteer nurses explaining clean delivery kits to a crowd of villagers
- Our new health care centre in Muang Ngoi
- One of our primary schools
- The Nam Ou, photo taken in our project area
- One of our volunteers teaching English
- Kids in front of primary school