All Year: periodically
Area (ha): 2 ha + forest 0.5 ha
Persons: best 2
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 11767
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: January 22, 2018
Next availability: FEBRUARY-MARCH 2018!
- forest maintenance: some trees went down in recent strong wind days. Weeds, blackberries and hedera now are growing upon them, and climb up on other living trees, smothering and suffocating them. The idea is to cut the follen trees in pieces, and eradicate hedera and weeds. So, in our forest new trees may grow up.
CURRENT TASK LIST:
- veg garden: digging, seeding, and generic maintenance
- forest maintenance (see above)
- gardening and land maintenance
INTRODUCTION - All year
We have moved from Rome to a natural reserve in the countryside nearby, quite an isolated place, with birds and small animals (fox, falcon, owl, others), rich flora, fantastic weather, huge starry sky and gorgeous twilights. At the present time, Elena is starting a new activity in the north of Italy, but I still live in this beautiful house built with natural and non toxic materials with sustainable power systems.
In my small property I use to grow vegetables and walnuts, as beginners can do, for our personal use.
The closest village (shops, restaurants, cinema,...) is 10' by car far or 40' on foot; there you can get on the train which leads you to
the heart of Rome in about 40'.
I can pick you up with our car at/to the train stop, if don't have a car as expected.
Depending on the season and on the the weather, there is plenty of nice jobs to be done, such as:
- gardening, grass cutting, trimming, seeding, and so on
- simple fence building and painting,
- vegetable growing,
- walnut harvest: you will hit the trees with long sticks, and collect walnuts from the ground into crates. Then the husk should be removed from the walnuts: your fingers will get brown or black, but it's 100% safe.
- herbs collection,
- house chores and cooking (why not learning how to cook italian style??)
I expect about 6 hours help per day, plus collaboration in food preparing and washing dishes after dinner, and taking care of the rooms where one sleep. 1 day per week is off. Anyway I'm *very* open and flexible and I can agree on different arrangements according to helpers wishes.
I generally accept one or two helpers, and stays of one or two weeks. Ten days is the most commons stay, but this is not a rule!
Helpers have their own little room. Free Internet available.
Smokers can smoke outside the house, thanks for not throwing cigarettes in the garden.
I'm interested in a cultural as well as labour exchange. I enjoy learning about different countries and languages and I'm in love with travelling, art, music and dance. I like easy going and polite people.
I believe in good/open communication between helpers and hosts.
Since I still keep my ordinary job, sometimes I could not be at home, so this is a place good for people who like to work and have fun with the others but also can manage to spend some time alone, doing their work or rest alone.
I do not provide any insurance, everything you do is under your own responsibility (maybe you might want to get a travel insurance).
So, have a nice trip!