All Year: yes
Area (ha): 6
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 11960
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: December 6, 2013
I would like to give to you some more information while on my farm.
Accommodation: I have a cottage with two rooms. The cottage rooms have an attached toilet with hot and cold water. The room is big enough to accommodate up to 8 guests. I do not charge guests any money for accommodation at the cottage, however, each guest is required to contribute 250.00 rupees per day for expenses for food during their stay at the farm.
Food: we provide basic Indian vegetarian food, morning Tea/coffee, breakfast, lunch,evening tea/coffee and dinner. The kitchen keeper does the cooking but guests are welcome to join the kitchen and learn from him the Indian way of cooking meals.
Work: Helping on the farm is most appreciated. We expect volunteers to work 2 hours a day when there is work to do on the farm. Farm work does not involve any heavy duty work. Farm work could include watering trees, removing weeds, sowing new seeds, picking fruits etc. We respect the rights of helpers on the farm. Working on the farm is optional, though we appreciate the help.
Water: the taps in the cottage flow with drinking water. However, if you wish to have bottled drinking water, it is available at the store behind the cottage. Other stuff available at the store would be things like toilet paper, detergent, coca cola, sprite, fanta, maza mango, soda water,beer,rum,vodka, whisky, coffee, cheese. jam,peanut butter, pop corn etc. what is not available there, you can always go to kotabagh to buy.
Internet: My cottage is internet wi-fi enabled. Volunteers using the internet pay 60.00 rupees an hour.
ATM: state bank of India has ATM in Kotabagh.
CYCLING: At the farm bicycles are available for hire.
BADMINTON: You can play badminton on the farm. There is a net, badminton rackets. You need to buy shuttle cock from the store for 25.00 rupees.
KITE FLYING: a kite will cost you 15.00 rupees and is available at the store. The string to fly the kite is also available at no cost.
MARBLES: for each marble you pay 2.00rupees. At the end of your stay, you can give the marbles back, and you will get 2.00 rupees for each marble you give.
BOOK EXCHANGE: You can leave a book you have read, and pick up a book which has been left back by the many helpers who have come to the farm.
PROJECTS TO DO ON THE FARM
1. Working to make stone paths on the land.
2. Working to make a wooden bridge on the stream that runs through the land.
3. Teaching in local school English. This option is only for volunteers who wish to stay six months and above.
4. Planting seeds in poly bags for germination for the forthcoming season.
5. Preparing a dish of your country for volunteers on the farm. (There could be some ingredients that might not be available in Kotabagh. If you carry them with you it would be wonderful.
6. Cutting and removing bushes from the land.
THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: Since I do not have a photocopy at my farm, pls carry with you two photocopies of your passport and Indian visa as I need to submit one of these documents to the local intelligence unit in kotabagh upon your arrival and keep one for my records
If you require any other clarifications pls do revert either now or when you are at the farm. You can always phone me on my mobile.
A WORD OF CAUTION: My farm/cottage is not a hotel. I expect everyone helping on the farm to be treated like a family.
The nearest airport from Kotabagh is New Delhi. Trains are the most convenient form of transport in India, but getting booking on trains might not be so easy.
Many buses from Agra, Chandigarh, haridwar, Delhi come directly to Haldwani. Pls find out about the timings of the buses a day before you plan to board the bus to Haldwani
It is strongly suggested that while on railway stations and bus stations and the trains in India, you should never lose sight of your belongings.
Apart from the Indian railways there are almost 50-60 buses that leave for Haldwani from Delhi Daily. Journey time is 6-7 hours. The bus terminal for buses going to Haldwani is ANAND VIHAR and KASHMIRI GATE in Delhi. Buses leave for Haldwani throughout the day. There are state run and private buses running between delhi-Haldwani. State run buses have cheaper fare, and private buses are more expensive. Journey time for state and private buses is almost the same. Refer to websites of companies that run private buses from Delhi to Haldwani. Some are: hinatours.com travelyaari.com haldwani.co.in and you will find many more operators on the internet. PLAN YOUR TRIP THAT YOU ARRIVE AT KOTABAGH IN THE DAYTIME SAY TILL 5.00PM
Many trains are available from North India for Moradabad JN. Taxi is available from Moradabad to my farm. Cost 2100.00 rupees.You need to inform me the train name and approx what time it arrives in Moradabad.
After arriving at HALDWANI BUS STATION, take a cyclerikshaw or auto rickshaw to KOTABAGH BUS STOP-MUKHANI PETROL PUMP in Haldwani. The cycle rickshaw will charge rs. 20.00 And autorikshaw will charge 50.00 rupees to reach MUKHANI PETROL PUMP which is approx. 3 kms from Haldwani bus station to take the bus for KOTABAGH. The first bus leaves Haldwani at 8.00 am the fare is 30-40 rupees and journey time is a little over an hour. Buses leave from here for Kotabagh hourly till 5.00 pm.
After reaching KOTABAGH BUS STOP, get a taxi to my farm Baluti. If any problem, there is a sweet shop opposite the kotabagh bus stand “Aggarwal sweet shop”, you can ask him to arrange for a taxi to baluti. The taxi will charge rupees 200.00 to 250.00
TAXI: Taxi can pick you up from the bus stop or railway station in Haldwani and drop you at the farm. The cost is 1000.00 rupees. You need to inform me a day before you arrive at Haldwani, the time of your arrival for me to inform the taxi to pick you up from Haldwani.
If you need more clarifications on how to get to my farm, pls do revert
For further information you can call me on my mobile.
Places to visit around my farm.
1. LAZY MORNINGS/AFTER NOONS AND EVENING.
A. enjoy the Himalayan sun, cool breeze, check out what else is there on the farm, walk downhill to the base of the farm. Just be lazy.
B. play badminton on the farm. There are rackets, a net etc. you need to pay 25.00 rupees to puran to buy a shuttle cock.
C flying kites can be a lot of fun. The kite, the thread is available at the store behind the cottage.
D playing marbles on the farm is good fun and reminds you that you are still 8 years young.
A) IN ONE DAY
1. Fly downhill on cycles to the Dabka River. Leave the bicycles at the river tea stall, where you can refresh yourself with tea ad biscuit etc. relax on the banks on the river to view the cinerary, walk down the rocky banks of the river, either upstream or downstream, read a book in the calm atmosphere, cycle along the road above the bank of the river Distance from cottage approx 3km. Cycle hire for the day. 50 rupees. Alternatively walk down to the river from the cottage. My comments: cycling or walking are both fun. In walking you see the richness of the nature of the hills and fauna. Walking doesn’t cost anything.
2. Walk down to kotabagh and check out some of the Himalayan sweet shops, fruits and vegetable vendors, train or air bookings, internet, Himalayan non vegetarian dhabas(small restaurants),shop selling all organic medicines for different treatments,cheese,fruit juice, and general knick-knacks. You can fly down to kotabagh on bicycles and leave the bicycles at kotabagh and walk back without the hassle of cycling uphill to my cottage. Cycle hire 50.00 rupees per day. My comment: cycling or walking are both fun. In walking you see the richness of the nature of the hills and fauna. Walking doesn’t cost anything.
3. Full day horse ride to the Sitabani forest and Corbett park, where if you are blessed, could see a tiger, elephant. Please remember it’s a jungle and not a zoo. You could be blessed to see many, many wild animals, or you just might see a few. Horse riding for a day (7 hours) will cost you 700.00 rupees. My comment: It’s fun to be in the jungle on horses. You never know what lies ahead on the next bend.
4. Trek upwards from the cottage to the beautiful village of Talia, a semi scattered village, with fields, growing wheat, tomatoes etc. on the east and north side large mountains. A very picturesque spot. Trekking from the cottage to Talia takes about 45 minutes. Trekking is not very difficult. The guide sonu will meet you half way to the trek to Talia and show you the beautiful region. On your return give him 50.00 rupees. My comment: It’s a very nice place to take pictures and sonu can be of help.
5. Cycle mostly downhill to Corbett museum (kaladungi) and Corbett falls. Distance from cottage to Corbett falls is 23kms. On your return come back to Corbett museum and put the cycles on a bus or shared taxi for kotabagh. At kotabagh, leave the cycles at the place I will pre-inform and walk down to my cottage. Bicycle hire: rupees 50.00. My comments: a nice cycling experience to kaladungi
6. Cycle mostly downhill to belparao, a small village, passing through the Corbett national park and the entrance gate to Corbett at pawalgarh (where Jim Corbett shot a man-eating tiger). At belparao, enjoy the very tasty lunch at Shiva restaurant (made in typical Kumaon style (our region of the Himalayas). From belparao, take a bus or shared taxi, put your bicycles on it and ride to Kotabagh. At kotabagh leave the bicycles at a place I will inform you, and walk back to the cottage.
7. You can visit the many different villages on the hills, either walking or on horseback. Horse ride for a day (seven hours) will cost you 700.00 rupees.
8. Cycle down on a very lovely road from kotabagh to bajpur. The road is lined with beautiful trees and you can enjoy the cycling and also the view. Take a bus or a shared taxi till either belparao or kaladungi. At kaladungi or belparao change buses for kotabagh. After reaching kotabagh, leave the bicycles at crown palace and walk back to the cottage. Bicycle hire: 50.00 rupees.
9. Jeep safari to Sitabani forest and Corbett national park: jeep will pick you up from the cottage 20 to 30 minute before sunrise, will show you the park (which is actually a jungle), you could be blessed to see much wild life. The jeep will drop you back in the afternoon at the cottage. Jeep safari 5 hours. Cost of jeep, including all the entrance fees etc. 2000.00 rupees. Seating capacity 8 persons.
10. Nainital: take a direct bus from kotabagh to Nainital. There is only one bus plying kotabagh-Nainital. It leaves kotabagh bus station at 7.00am travel time from kotabagh to Nainital is approx. 1.20 minutes. On reaching Nainital you can do some of the things mentioned in ‘one night stay trek’. In the evening leave Nainital at 3.30 and be back in kotabagh by 5.00pm and walk back to the cottage.
ONE NIGHT STAY TREK:
Trek to the teeth Devi temple via Talia village. Trekking time to the temple roughly 4 hours. Sonu will guide you to the temple. It’s a tricky path to the temple so suggest sonu accompany you till the temple. At the temple there are 2 rooms where you can sleep for the night. The caretaker of the temple will offer you morning tea, lunch and dinner. Very simple vegetarian food. In the rooms there are no beds, so if you are not carrying your sleeping bag, you could use the blankets available there. Suggestion: though the room has mud flooring, the blanket could smell a little. To make it a 2 night trek, you could trek the next morning to the different peaks from teeth Devi temple and return back to the temple by the evening. Sleep the second night at the temple, and trek back to the cottage in the morning. Coming down takes approx 2 hours from the temple. Since the temple is run purely on donation, pls give 100.00 per night for your stay as donation. I once again remind you that the caretaker will not demand it-because donation is your will. On your return pay sonu 200.00 rupees per day of his services.
Nainital: a very beautiful place with the lake as the centre. Take a direct bus from Kotabagh to Nainital. Travel time 1.30 minutes.
KAINCHI DHAM: Very holy ashram for people in India. When Steve Jobs(APPLE) and Beatles where young and Hippies, they spent a lot of time in this Ashram.
KASAR DEVI: One of the MUST VISIT places in the manual during the HIPPIE culture in the 60’s. From here you can view the snow capped peaks of the Himalayas.
KAUSANI: A very picture beauty hill station. You can view the Himalayan snow capped peaks from here.
RISHIKESH: Kotabagh-Nainital-Ranikhet-Karanprayag-Rishikesh. You can break your journey in any of these beautiful cities in the Himalayas. Rishikesh is the Yoga and meditation capital of India, with Ganges flowing there. White River Rafting a must.
NEPAL: Nepal from Haldwani is 1.30 hours. You arrive at Tanakpur(India) and Take a bus to Mahendernagar(Nepal). Bus/train 60.00 rupees.