All Year: yes
Persons: 1 to 2
Host ID: 13347
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: October 17, 2017
UPDATE October 2017: We are looking for one to two helpers who can stay from now onwards. Our minimum stay is one month. We would prefer a helper/s who can say longer than that (e.g. 3+ months).
WHAT WE OFFER YOU:
• Own room in a beautiful house 12 minutes from the Melbourne CBD / central Melbourne and 15 mins from the beach by train (we live opposite the train station) and less than ten minutes’ walk from Yarraville shops, including the famous Sun cinema.
• Mostly organic food – includes all meals and snacks except ‘special treats’ and alcohol – however, if we are having a beer or a wine, we always share. We’ll pay for the food, but you’ll prepare a lot of it as part of your hours.
• Electricity, gas, water, unlimited internet, Netflix.
• Learn how to prepare healthy, delicious whole foods, yoghurt, bread, home-made pasta and more
* be part of our family and discover Melbourne from a resident's perspective
WHAT WE ASK OF YOU:
• A minimum of two weeks' commitment and at least one weeks' notice before you leave (preferably two weeks)
* An open and positive attitude
• Around 20- 25 hours of light work over the week per person. Much of the work would be things you would do as part of living in your own house anyway. Duties comprise:
o Preparing dinner Monday-Thursday (4-6 hrs pw)
o Cleaning house (5-6 hrs pw)
o Picking up kids from school ONE day per week and look after them (1.5 hrs pw)
o Dishes, emptying bins, wiping benches & sweeping Monday-Thursday (2-3hrs pw)
o Extra jobs as needed, for example: ironing, making yoghurt, bread, pasta, freezer meals and cakes/slices for school lunches or babysitting (you won't be asked to do all these jobs every week, just the ones that are needed and only within the hours we have agreed beforehand)
NOTE: We do not always have enough work for 2 people. If you are a couple and we do not have enough work for both of you, we may ask you to cover the cost of food for one person - approx $65 per week.
Whilst we have preferred days of the week for many of these jobs, there is some flexibility to accommodate other commitments you may have, such as study or work
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT US:
We are a family of four (Joel, Katerina, Mischa & Jasper), but we also live with a friend (Mitch) and we have a very fluid household. People often drop in and we’ll invite them for dinner and we sometimes have other commitments, so whilst there is almost always somebody home, it is always a bit of a surprise how many people we will be at any one time, including at dinner time.
Joel owns his own building company, Katerina is CEO of a start-up not-for-profit that raises public awareness about climate change. Mischa is 13 and Jasper 8. They both go to school. Mitch is a jack of all trades. We have a dog, Soot. She is large, but friendly.
We aren’t vegetarian, but we do not eat much meat, so if you can’t live without meat, this is NOT the house for you. Vegetarians are welcome. We don’t smoke, but Mitch does – he only smokes outside.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking for someone who will enjoy sharing meals with us, chatting by the fire sometimes, or playing card games with the kids, not because these are ‘duties’, but because you enjoy being part of our family.
We are looking for someone who respects our values and will do their best to live by those values too (without being puritanical about it). In general, we try to live a life that is healthy and minimises our impact on the planet whilst contributing as much as we can to the betterment of society.
We would prefer a non-smoker, but as long as you don’t smoke inside or in front of the kids, it’s really none of our business.
We want someone willing to learn and try new ways of doing things, but who is also able to take initiative when needed; someone systematic and organised, with an eye for detail, who takes pride in their work and takes the same care in keeping our home as we do but who is also flexible and tolerant of our busy lives and fluid household.
If this sounds right for you, we'd love to hear from you!