All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 0.8
Persons: 1 or 2
Host ID: 15743
Region: New South Wales
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: November 16, 2017
We live on our 2 acre property which is part of a larger 800 acre sustainable community in Northern NS. The community iscalled Billen Cliffs(http://www.billencliffs.org.au) and there areapproximately 250 people living there.
We are 20 mins from Nimbin, 30 mins from Lismore, about 1 hour and 15 mins from Byron Bay.
We live in a beautiful, owner-built eco-house with mountain views and a panorama of stars at night. We share our land with native wildlife including wallabies, kookaburras, bandicoots, echidnas and many native birds. We two dams for swimming in, fruit trees, organic gardens and a stand of trees for agro forestry. .
We are looking for helpers with an open heart and willingness to help.
We have a variety of upcoming projects including eco-building, permaculture gardening and land care, as well as the more day to day activities of cooking, cleaning, feeding the animals and playing with the kids (Erin 10, Ashwin 7)...
If you have particular skills in any of the following areas, we may also have other projects you can help us with:
* Organizing and clutter clearing - we've always got stuff to sort out - from kids clothes to re-organising the tool shed.
* Permaculture and/or botanical knowledge and skills - we have permaculture systems in place, an active veggie garden, an establishing orchard and also have a lot of banks that need planting out and we'd love to plant more natives.
* Building and painting skills - We're renovating a studio, building kitchen facilities at the caravan, building a sweat lodge/sauna...
* Sewing skills - would love some help with those projects we never get round too.
* Chainsawing and Treelopping skills
* Report writing / English - We would like to create a comprehensive document to introduce guests to our house.
*Mosaic art and Murals - we have some beautiful little grottos around the house with mosaic, and some other places waiting for someone to finish them..
Don't let that list overwhelm you. Mostly the help we require is much more simple.
We have a few accommodation options- a caravan which is 100m from our place, or a spare room inside the house.
In terms of recreation, you'll often find us playing music, singing, dancing, doing tai chi, yoga, chi kung and healing. There's also a lot of beautiful walks around here, and plenty of opportunity to connect with nature and wildlife.
Our community has a lively community culture with a weekly cafe and regular gatherings and celebrations in the Hall and Craft Centre that we welcome our guests to join us in. You can read more on our website.
Also, there are often other WWOOFers and HelpXers staying at other properties on our community, so you have an opportunity to socialise with locals as well as other travellers.
We eat a lot of healthy, fresh, organic and mostly (but not strictly) vegetarian meals. We're a nonsmoking household, and there's a no dogs policy at our community.