All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 8.0
Persons: 1 or 2
Host ID: 25980
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: June 18, 2017
Do you want to travel, meet people and gain some new skills? ..... Come and join us if you do.
The team currently comprises Carl, Belinda, Jazz (working cocker spaniel & team mascot), Otta (demented working choc lab puppy), Choupette (ravenous rooting permaculture pig), 2 farm cats on rodent patrol and 5 laying hens.
Thanks to willing volunteers, friends and family Coetillec now comprises: 5 C17th renovated stone cottages; 5 stone barns; a wooden barn made entirely from recycled timber and slate; heated swimming pool; fully-commissioned mobile-home; plus 30 acres of woodland, lawns, meadow and a stream - all set in the beautiful rolling Morbihan countryside just 25 miles from the stunning southern Brittany coastline. Oh, and I'm currently in a state of utopia as my beloved VFR750FK has just been resurrected: a huge 'THANK YOU' to Matt!!!
Current and future projects:
• during the Summer we need assistance with cottage changeovers, keeping the swimming pool water crystal clear and its surrounding paved area spotless - this includes a level of guest interaction
• development of cycle touring and walking routes, this is now a priority and we'll send further information upon request
• the patience to improve my appalling French, translate my website into French, French business administration
• increase our on-line presence by developing social media, website content (okay, it needs rebuilding) and layout, SEO, taking and publishing stunning interior and exterior photographs and drafting compelling captions
• tree surgeon / arborist to re-pollard a few magnificent veteran Oak trees
• use green woodworking tools and methods to develop a range of traditional woodland products, such as cleft post and rail fencing, gates and roofing shingles from Sweet Chestnut, bean-rods, pea-sticks, hurdles and charcoal from Hazel. Also use an Alaskan type chainsaw-mill to produce larger timber products
• cottage maintenance, such as minor electrical work, painting and decorating, re-grouting tiles, small plumbing jobs, ect.
• continue to bring the woodland back into active management utilising low impact silvicultural systems
• make a set of stone steps leading to the swimming pool
• clear fallen trees from a derelict field and move Choupette into the next area to receive her specialised 'rooting treatment'
• cut, split, move and stack firewood from our sustainably managed woodland
• domestic cleaning and cooking
• feed the chickens, cats and pig.
• design and build/lay out a mandala style veg. garden following permaculture principles, as well as a bender style polydome, composting toilet, forest garden, lake, campsite, another mountain bike track
• stone masonry: build with granite, lime and sand mortar; erect a hand-cut Oak roof - to restore a ruined stone cottage
• riparian zone management and creating a lake
• build a log cabin
• layout a campsite, woodland walks, mountain bike track and develop a reed-bed fosse system.
We have the right tools and materials to carry out a plethora of projects to a high-standard, for example land management equipment (AKA boys' toys) includes: a digger, tractor, ride on mower, a fleet of chainsaws and brushcutters/strimmers, collection of splitting axes, ect.
Please get in touch if you think that you can offer any assistance, letting us know which project(s) you are interested in and we'll send further information.
Accommodation: take your pick; there are 13 bedrooms, 2 in the mobile-home, or you can pitch your tent/yurt/caravan/campervan.
All food, drink, bedding provided - just bring your own towels, outdoor footwear and gloves.
The work here is hard but rewarding; you need to be able-bodied. If you have a good sense of humour, like to have fun, have a strong work ethic, are sound of mind, can show respect towards others and their property, can tidy up after yourself and have common sense then we'll get on well!