All Year: Mid-April - September
Area (ha): 22
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 28723
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: September 20, 2017
We are a young Estonian-Canadian family (Iisak, Maris and Jaako (07.2017)) who recently acquired a small old farm property in the Deep South of Estonia which we are slowly restoring back to its original beauty. We are surrounded by forests which we share with deer, moose, wild boar, foxes and endless species of birds. We also live in an area where the ancient Seto Culture is still very much alive. Built in between 1910-1938, we have an old stone stable, log barn and have just recently moved into the tiny cabin which we renovated with the help of volunteers in 2014/15.
We are experimenting with permaculture and are striving to be as self-sufficient as possible. We work lots with the other young awesome families in the nearby village, who have sheep, chickens and some horses who you just may be able to ride... We ourselves enjoy fresh eggs from our chickens, milk, cheese and other tasty treats from our milking goats and awesome rides in the forest on our Estonian horse.
As our tiny cabin has barely enough space for the 2 of us, accommodation is in a tent or in the hay loft of the stable with the swallows. We cook communally and socialize in our converted barn & washing is in our recently completed greenhouse sauna.
During your free time, we have bicycles for exploring the forests (including Mustoja, the largest protected area in the county, just 2km away), visiting lakes, caves and other swimming holes, and instruments for playing (guitar, djembe, mandolin, ukelele, kannel (the Estonian national instrument) kalimba, clarinet and more). We are also rather social so you can expect to meet some of our friends while you are here too.
We have both had extensive wwoofing/helpex experience ourselves here in Estonia, in Canada, Iceland, Ecuador & Australia and are looking for ~5hrs work/day 5days/week in exchange for meals and accommodation.
We are looking for people as early as April, 2017 to:
help with GOATS
- help with the 25 or so baby goats who arrived in April
- milking and feeding their mothers
- complete fencing for our ever-expanding pasture land
help with BUILDING
- help with renovations of our old stone stable and building of the milking parlor for the goats - people with previous experience in building are especially welcome!
- finish the extension on our house
- build a small shelter for our horse and baby goats
- fix the roof on our wood shed
help with the GARDEN and FOODS
- tend (planting, weeding, harvesting) to our organic vegetable garden
- gather wild foods (berries, mushrooms, herbs for tea and medicine)
- help with yard work (mowing, trimming etc.)
- help with brush cutting, chopping firewood, and so on
- but most of all, enjoy themselves and their time here