All Year: Yes
Category: Non Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 29846
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: March 8, 2018
We are a grass based dairy farm in county Kilkenny, there are lots of animals here - Dogs, hens, cats, peacocks and cows of course!
We live in a house built in the 1700ís surrounded by beautiful mature trees and a walled garden.
This is a house of six with four grown up children coming and going as they travel and study and sometimes work on the farm. We love where we live, enjoy farming, country lifestyle and working with animals. We also enjoy visitors and welcome their stories and lifestyles.
We offer Helpxers comfortable accommodation, excellent food and a genuine welcome.
We have a positive and welcoming attitude towards people and we appreciate that some people start with very little experience. Some of our best helpers have been first-timers. But we do expect applicants to provide some evidence that they are able to make a useful work contribution in return for our hospitality. This means you need to tell us about things you have done that show you are hard-working and quick to learn, as well as experience you have at jobs like painting, gardening, building, farming cooking etc.
Accommodation will be provided in our home in a large double room (couples/friends), or in a single room. Bathroom facilities are shared.
All food is provided & assistance with cooking welcomed, we would like to share your traditions too!
WIFI is also provided as well as a warm open fire!
No Smoking please.
Vacancies: Spring 2018 - January - April is a busy and exciting time on the farm when all of the new calves are born!
- Farm work - Feeding, looking after and bedding the newborn calves
- Housework - Cooking - (good healthy basic food) cleaning, tidying, dusting, painting, around the house.
We have a number of other projects which we would also love some help such as:
- Vegetable garden - We would like some help with our vegetable garden, weeding , planting, watering, harvesting etc.
- Maintenance/repairs - Around the gardens, grounds, farm & house. Pruning, weeding, clearing, chopping timber, cutting the lawns, cleaning & organising sheds.
We also have a couple of small plastering projects if someone has experience in the area.
- Carpentry/cooking /gardening/stone wall building skills would be very welcome.
- Compost heater - We are considering building a Jean Pain style compost powered water heater or something similar at some stage in the future. This would use farm waste to generate hot water for the house or farm, however we are open to suggestions on this project so if anybody has any experience in this area and would like to take this project on that would be great!
We expect about 5 hours of hard work per day for 5 days of the week. In your free time you can explore around Kilkenny or elsewhere around the country.
There are regular buses to & from Dublin city & airport. (Approx 2 hours)
We are 12 miles from Kilkenny City and 2 miles from the nearest village where there is a good bus service. Bicycles are provided or we can drop you to the bus.
Kilkenny is a beautiful medieval city with lots of artistic and craft based traditions and has many major Irish tourist attractions such as Kilkenny Castle, Butler Gallery, St. Canices Cathedral & Round tower (One of the only 2 climbable towers in the country), Smithwicks Irish Ale Brewery, Black Abbey, Rothe House & The Kilkenny Design Centre.
We are also close to Dunmore Caves, Castlecomer Discovery Park, Jenkinstown Woods & Heywood Gardens.
Other attractions around Kilkenny include Woodstock gardens, Reptile village, Jerpoint Abbey & Kells Priory. We have a good stock of tourist information to help you plan your days off.
In summary, we like our Helpxers to have a good time and try our best to make this a high value experience for both parties. We offer just a few spaces each year but, if you are hard-working, adaptable and practical, we would love to host you.
Thank you for reading our profile and we look forward to hearing from you.