Bass Coast Shire
All Year: August to May
Area (ha): 0.15
Host ID: 33302
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: September 29, 2017
Pls read all details before applying - thanks. . . .
Hello - November 2017 is open to discuss. (We might have a space in October 2017.)
Are you in Australia ? Preference given to people with full profiles , already in Australia (unless you have been in Australia before)
Our Winter live-in Caretaker has finished, and the main manager (Dominic ) is just back at Inverloch, lining up interesting projects. . . making a top-bar African bee house; preparing fences, etc for re-introduction of chickens; finishing the new pond area; adding ceramic floor and wall tiling (get creative); planting / pruning in the food forest; completing the waterless toilet set-up; other fun stuff !
Available to use:
- Spare clothes
- Library focused on sustainable home and community living, as well as health and personal develpment (yoga, diet)
- Space for your creativity
- Sewing desk with two sewing machines and other cloth and leather tools.
We have a comfortable home and urban retreat on the edge of coastal town on Bass Coast, 140km from Melbourne, in a National Parks area . . .
- September to April are the regular HelpX / WWOOFing months
- Two weeks minimum.
Preference is given to mature couples where one person has international drivers license and both have detailed WWOOFER or HelpX profile (OR a Resumé) - Photos essential - Facebook profiles are not enough.
At our place you will gain insights into ecological design, adaptive carpentry, permaculture design, yoga practices and more.
Walking distance to both quiet and surf beaches, wetland reserves, the Bunurong Marine National Park.
Close to Wilson's Prom. National Park, and other National parks, many weekend markets, music events.
- Please view our photos, reviews and educational posts at our facebook page via link above.
- Please provide a phone number so we can speak.
- Seeking people who are not addicted to internet / tobacco / alcohol
ROLES (most common)
- Renovation assistant = house-painting, carpentry, paving, tiling.
- Gardening - remaking garden beds; pruning trees, preparing firewood
- Revising signage & visitors manual (photography / writing - a high level of English and another language is needed for this task)
- Mending (repairing/sharpening) - a wide range of items (glueing, screwing, darning / sewing machine)
- Two to four weeks stay.
FIVE DAYS A WEEK - DAILY SCHEDULE
- Yoga class (or walk or swim) - 7 00 AM
- Breakky - 8 00 AM sharp
- Cleaning - 8 40 AM
- 9 00 to 11 00 AM - Morning Session
- 11 00 - 11 15 - Fruit/drink break
- 11 15 - 1 15 PM - Mid day session
- 1 15 PM - 1 45 PM - Lunch
- 1 45 - 3 45 - Arvo Session
> Do your own thing in the afternoon - beach / walk / swim / explore area use house library / town library/ Bunurong Environment Centre / tourist info centre.
> Five hours per day includes group meal preparation,
and we all have one full day to roam / explore the coast or mountains, or go to Melbourne for Kirtan with Dom.
> IF Helpers wish to do at least 6 full hours help per day then you have the whole weekend to yourself (great for bigger explorations)
- for urgent web access, hotspot wireless is available from your Host's mobile phone
- reliable wireless internet is free at our town library, six days a week.
- Our place is a NO packet-cigarette place
- We drink alcoholic drinks in moderation.
- Place is at final stage renovations of buildings and gardens .
- Melbourne and South Gippsland are highly regarded for quality and diversity in many of the fine arts and in quality local and Organic foods (and Inverloch has two places to for excellent coffee, hand-made ice cream and much more)
- Many excellent weekend community markets in Inverloch area (local produce)
- As you see in photos, you can cycle / walk to close flat beaches / patrolled surf beach / town inlet beach / local parks ... whole estuary is open for windsurfing, kite-surfing, paddle-boarding, canoeing - walk to nearby urban orchard with cafe / beach yoga sessions with Dom G or other town teacher / local bush-walking / town exploring / wildlife everywhere.
- Access to library focused on Permaculture design and practices / sustainable living / healthy mind and body - books / magazines / CD's / animals / yoga and self-development; try a new recipe with herbs/greens from our gardens; practice your English with me or local people.
- is committed to practical design & management methods that build Natural and social capital, leading to community, household and personal sustainability.
- is called 'Inverloch Sustainable Living and Learning' and is a family friendly urban cul-de-sac in a court near edge of beautiful town
- has beaches in walking distance, warm in Winter/cool in Summer (no fossil fuels burnt to achieve this) ; lots of clean air, trees and wildlife; is an ideal place to get deeper insights into sustainable living
- We define sustainable living as:
conscious design, creation and management methods to fullfil needs of present and future generations > using safe Natural energy and safe materials > three-generations and multi-ethnic inclusiveness >home produced food and fuel, healthy eating habits - ie: less meat, more nuts, eggs, tahini, beans; fresh and preserved vegies, nuts, and soft fruits grown biologically (no industrial poisons )
; reducing desire for self-damaging and enviro damaging habits
; less packaging = re-using / recycling containers
; responsible choices in transport [we used commercial soy-diesel in the diesel wagon until the Sept-October 2015 rise in Federal excise killed access to biodiesel] bicycles; walking anywhere (will get you somewhere)
awareness of the effects of our own actions , and awareness of the thoughts that pre-cede these actions
living within Nature's means - eg using energy and water captured at the home;
a conscious use of our own own bodies (less strain & pain)
; conscious use of resources (opposite of "the throw-away society" )
; using Yoga / swimming / TaiChi type practices to stay well (and warm) in body and mind (rather than relying on Osteopath or Chiropractor )
- Assisting Dom with carpentry / paving/ painting (he will teach you what you need to know)
- Help is needed with driving sometimes
- Assist preparation for accommodation guests
- Improve your English and learn Australian lingo
- Amazing water sports available - estuary & beaches all walking distance (or use bike)
- our street basketball court, bikes, bowling balls, golf clubs, surfboards available at town Library for free hire
- other beach water activities - like stand-up paddle boarding - can be booked at Info Centre in Inverloch
PLAN AHEAD: if you plan ahead two weeks or more - it works out better for everyone :-)
- Dominic (myself) is a qualified educator for children with a two decades of experience in design and application of ecologically sustainable home and business > environmental design (site design) / green building design & construction / sustainable product design and local scale manufacturing.
We eat well and we always have fresh greens and other foods to harvest straight from garden.
Our fresh foods come from mostly from our gardens / weekend local farmers markets /a nearby urban farm
Exchanging ways of cooking/preserving and language, is a strong part of our place.
WINTER CARETAKER POSITION OPEN - 2018
Winter Caretakers are selected on the following :
- Couples or independent individuals > 25 yrs old.
- References required (University, Previous Volunteer or Paid position, HelpX references)
- Minimum four weeks stay.
- Caretakers do less hours per day than other times of year, BUT take more responsibility than other Helpers - e.g. 2-3 hrs per day of tasks, use some house foods plus supply yr own.
- Dominic or a neighbour will 'show you the ropes' and there is a Caretakers guidebook to read.
- There may be some paying guests to attend to (though not many) - use prepare rooms/make up room for next people.
- There will be some gardening, perhaps some painting.
- Caretakers have excellent communication skills and can judge who to get help from if they need it (the other owners/neighbours / myself) and can resolve issues as they arise (e.g. unblocking rain pipes or removing faulty electrical item and turning power back on after a switch is tripped) and prepare for any coming storms (check roof gutters and down-pipes for blockages, tie up plants, etc.)
Preference given to couples over 25 yrs old.