All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 1100
Category: Accommodation Business
Host ID: 38263
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: April 28, 2015
This is a Farm Stay where travellers pay to experience life on a genuine cattle farm. We require help with the behind the scenes work.
The previous helper was a 66 year old Irish man with a wealth of work experiences - who required little to no training.
During his 4 week stay he painted the exterior of wooden buildings with timber oil, high pressure cleaned concrete, greased saddles, checked sparkplugs and general maintenance on the motorbikes. He assisted us with the tidy up after each meal.
DURING HIS SECOND WEEK
He assisted the guests each day to feed and saddle their horses and walked on foot with guests to gather the milking cows, feed the calves and collect the eggs as a type of guide/host.
ON BUSY DAYS
He helped clean bedrooms, in the laundry and peeled vegetables.
IN EXCHANGE OF 35hours OF WORK PER WEEK
Mark worked an average of 5 hours of work 7 days a week (he worked longer days sometimes to get free days). We gave him his own room with shared bathrooms and all meals and transport to and from Rockhampton on arrival and departure.
HORSE OR MOTORBIKE RIDING?
Mark went horse riding occasionally when time and work permitted. During his 31 days of work he joined our farm stay guests horse riding 7 times and received 1 actual formal lesson. He has ridden the motorbikes every few days for some of the jobs he was doing. He was already an experienced motorbike rider who owned his own bike but he still had to stick to the Myella Farm Stay rules i.e. helmet, long clothes and 35km speed limit.
WHAT IT'S LIKE?
"THESE PEOPLE ARE FAIR BUT NOT TOLERANT OF SHORTCUTS" is how Mark explained what it's like helping us at Myella to our newest helper.
YOU WILL NEED
1) You will need a watch as mobile phones are not permitted during working hours
2) A hat and good shoes - we recommend jogging shoes
3) There is no access to shops for toothpaste, soap, shampoo, repellent, sunscreen and sweets please bring them with you
4) You will need the ability to accept feedback on your work, both good and bad and not take the comments personally. And the maturity to work unsupervised and on your own
- Your accommodation is simple but clean. You have your room to yourself and you share a bathroom with others
- The phone service is not great Telstra is the best. Wi-Fi can be slow sometimes
- There is a TV common room, large swimming pool, hammocks and a lot of guests to chat with at night and before breakfast
TO APPLY COMPLETE THE BELOW QUESTIONS
1. What are your work experiences, age and nationality and percentage of English spoken/understood?
2. What are your practical working skills and experience? The more skills you list increases your chance of joining our family and getting a variety of jobs to do.
3. What is the length of time you are available to work and when could you be ready to commence?
4. Do you have an Australian drivers licence? Do you have your own transport?
5. Do you have any special dietary or medical conditions or any special requests?
6. Please send the answers to these questions and then phone Lyn 07 4998 1290 to introduce yourself.