All Year: no
Area (ha): 3
Category: Accommodation Business
Host ID: 40020
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: July 17, 2017
Join us in the woods: Alternative Lifestyle opportunity at an ecological off-grid woodland campsite
(Good level of spoken English required)
UPDATE: WE HAVE FOUND OUR VOLUNTEERS FOR THIS SEASON THOUGH IF YOU ARE REALLY REALLY EAGER FEEL FREE TO GET IN TOUCH; WE MAY BE ABLE TO ACCOMMODATE YOU.
Our beautiful off-grid campsite is located in a 600 acre private woodland in the heart of the High Weald, an area of outstanding natural beauty. It is a low noise, family-oriented place and no cars are allowed into the campsite.We have 'bring-your-own' tent pitches and glamping belltents each tucked into its own glade. We offer the closest thing to wild camping, with the added luxury of basic facilities. There is mains drinking water and running hot water, but no electricity. And, of course, lots of trees.
Several pubs, a cafe, post office and convenience store are in walking distance (30-45 mins). The historic town of Battle (for supermarkets, public library with Internet access, cafes, pubs and restaurants as well as Battle Abbey) is only 2 miles away. In your time off we recommed you explore the vast woodland and beaches nearby, or just relax on site.
We ask our volunteers to contribute 25h work per week. The work we require you to do varies depending on what time you are here. In April we need help with small building projects and setting up the site, erecting tents, spring cleaning, etc. From May until September there is cleaning of tents and facilties to do, as well as assisting guests and minding the site.
We are a small and friendly company with an interest in sustainability and creating a nice working environment. Your main point of contact will be the on-site Wardens. We are Lawrence and Theresa, and we have been running the site for three years. We love living an outdoor livestyle and meeting like-minded people. Lawrence is a musician and Theresa is training to be a permaculture teacher. We have both had great experiences volunteering ourselves and hosting volunteers. We have busy lives so it is important that you can make your own entertainment (with no wifi and poor phone reception!).
What we expect of you:
- 25h work per week
- respect for our woodland and our privacy and friendliness towards our guests
- a helpful, energetic attitude (outdoor life isn't always easy, especially in the colder months and when the sun isn't shining so please come well prepared)
- openness and a willingness to work and to try new things
What you can expect:
- a woodland camping experience
- basic accommodation in a 4m bell tent (shared for a couple or friends travelling together)
- a daily food stipend (lifts to the shop can be arranged)
- cooking utensils, a gas hob, a BBQ and an allocation of firewood
- shared bathroom facilties (we have indoor showers as well as outdoor bucket showers, regular toilets and compost toilets, toilet roll and biodegradable cleaning products are supplied)
- more detailed information before your arrival
- fair treatment and a supportive environment
- Live in the woods!
- Get to know the ins and outs of running a small business
- Learn about permaculture and how to set up/maintain an organic no-dig garden
- Explore rural East Sussex
To apply please tell us a bit about yourself, why you would like to volunteer with us, what relevant experience you have and what dates you are available. Looking forward to hearing from you!