All Year: April/May
Host ID: 43399
Region: Bay of Plenty
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: April 24, 2018
We are currently looking for help in April and may!
Hello there Helpxers, we are looking for a couple of hard working folk to help with renovations on our rental property in Whakatane. We almost finished the work last year, but there is still a bit of painting, gardening, digging, and general maintenance work. There's plenty of work for anyone willing to tackle a reno and learn a few of the tricks to the trade.
We ask helpers to spend four hours a day working on the house, doing 3 days on, 1 day off. In return, we offer free accommodation at our lovely house, 3 meals a day, and our local knowledge of the area. We might ask you to help with the dishes though ;)
As for us, we are a small family living in sunny Whakatane. I (Janet) am a naturapath and bowen therapist, and my partner is a plumber/handyman. My sons Aaron and Michael are also often around to help out with the renovations (Aaron usually answers the emails here!). Michael is finishing his studies at the university of Auckland, while Aaron travels the world and writes fulltime as an author.
My house is a quick five minutes walk from town and the house we are doing up is just around the corner. We have as spare bedroom with two king single beds which we use for helpers. We also have a second spare room in which we can put a queen mattress or two single mattresses, for workers who are keen to stay while the main room is full!
There is ultra-fast broadband, the house is sunny and warm, and there are many fruit trees on the property you are welcome to (when in season).
There is a local bus in Whakatane that can take you over to the beautiful Ohope beach for around $3 (voted best beach in NZ for a couple of years in a row). We will also be happy to take you over to the beach occasionally if we have the time.
We are looking for people to stay for any length of time :)
The main attractions in Whakatane are:
- White Island Tours - take a boat trip out to the amazing active volcano in our bay and take a walk around it.
- Swim with the dolphins (and seals)
- Ohope Beach - $3 on the Bayhopper bus (20 minutes). Great place to learn to surf, swim and sunbathe. Might be able to take you over ourselves sometimes as well!
- Downtown whakatane with local cafes and supermarket just 5 minutes walk away.
- Local walks - Otawairere Bay, walk to the hub, river walk, walk to the heads
- Juliens berry farm - Delicious berries and ice cream, plus minigolf
- Fishing at the heads with our rods
- Whale island tours - the chance to see some protected/endangered species of new Zealand
- Awakeri Hotsprings
We're looking for anyone who can help with the renovations, those with a hard working attitude who are ready to get stuck into the task :) Photos of the houses we'll be working on (As well as some of the inside of our house) are shown in our profile.
You'll also have access to some fishing rods in the garage that you are welcome to take down to the Whakatane heads for some fishing (no permits or anything required in NZ!)