All Year: just about..!
Area (ha): 6.4
Persons: 1 to 5 +more/ tents
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 4387
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: October 19, 2017
Aloha everyone I am Mark, AT THE MOMENT we are looking for people to help with our on-going Permaculture Design:
***** Help with checking and mesuring the levels( hights ) to make a topographic plan of the site ..! As well as the making/pegging of the futur waterways ponds and small lake.....
* Gardening/Growing food for people who will be comming to work on any of the on-going projects, this is a priority ! (healthy food for healthy body, mind + ..? )
* Reparing a small roof to be able to mouve the workshop to open a space to have an associative cafe/resto. (We have just about all the materiels to do it, yes)
* The continual clearing of land ( brambles etc).
* Setting up of the solar pannel instalation ( this is on hold till we find what we need) "looking for an alternative to batteries.. ???
* Modification of a diesel engine to run on Filtered recycled cooking oil + a HHO sytem and other possibilities..? So anyone with that expierence or has good life skills (handy man /woman) out-there your help would be realy usefull… !!!
* Even more water recuperation we have 16 000 litters of storage space and anothe 12 000 (soon) , we are looking for guttering.
*** We have all the pieces now to set-up a solar shower so please if you have done of this before please come and share).
* Digging a new chanel to take water to and from the water tank.
* Prepairing the holes for the next tree plantation.
If you feel you could help with any of these and other on-going projects please feel free to contact us, we need your help, thank you..!
Please read profile full so you know what you are getting yourself into, thank you !
A big thank you for everyone who has helped this last while were we have filtered hundreds of litters of recycled cooking oil to run the generator this winter along with many many other jobs including the planted just over a thousand trees. AND a big thank you to the team of 6 that have just taken up all the barbed wire around the farm THANKS EVERYONE....!
There is an internet connection at the farm now ( a satalite connection ) it is limited.!!! It works well for everyone to check there emails etc just not films etc...
I am eating mainly vegetarrien ( but not always), theres plenty of veg in the garden and I am well know for my salad sauces..mmmm If you have special needs or diet please let me know before comming please. I have nothing against people eating whatever they choose ( im not on a crusade ) nor do I have a problem with people drinking alcool ("AND" i dont want drunks), i must admit i dont like cigarette smoke ( i smoked myself for 35 years ) juste not in my presence please, thank you.
It is very exciting, theres is soon much to do, it gives lots of choice, never a dul moment...!
( check our the feedback )
Here at the Bean we are in the middle of a massive forest that stretches for miles. Within 30 seconds walk you are out in the hills and there is some beautiful country out there to be explored, every valley has its micro climate and its plants and wild life.
There is a third and very shortly a 4th Mobile Home at the farm so i can put up more people and plenty of room for tents , there is starting to be more and more choice for accommodation and for more people as the project goes forward..! (The cold season is comming so you will need warm cloths and your sleeping bag. With climate change we never realy know what is going to happen.. ! We are going more and more into extremitys of diferent weather conditions so be prepared...!
Who am I...? I'm Mark, i speak mostly English and French with a little knowledge of German and even smaller Spanish. I realy need people to speek fluent english or french (we need to be able to comunicate well ,Please..! ).
I have been an ecological militant for certain number of years...... I was in exile and have even been jailed..( life is full of surprises (luckely:-)). I had a good shout, met some great people. Got depressed and felt i was not making a difference ( ok i was expressing my anger while still being the victim). After many divers life experiences and a bit of research; on why are we here, what is our role.. etc…
I decided to start to change my main focus: from "what i didn’t want" to that, "that that i wanted". And that has started an ongoing process.. from which I feel: much happier and healthier, constructive, creative and closer to nature…. ( I say; « that is prity cool » with a good feeling inside, as those moments are lived more and more often.... :-))
IN this transition period (the last 11 years) i have been occupied with promoting composting toilets, (mostly rentals with some construction). With over 1 830 000 people using our compost toilet's along with the hundreds of events we did: show’s, sports, expositions, markets, festivals… all types of events ( were people meet, drink n eat). This has been accomplished and now is the time to start new projects here at the farm.. !
I have put some info at the end about the compost toilets….
The Grean Bean / Le Barraquet / Haricot Vert
3 years ago we got our hands on an old run down farm ( its from around 1760 ish) with 16 acres of land, of which 4/5th is usable once the top-soil has been re-grown, the rest is good for the planting of trees.
It is called the "Barraquet" which in the old Occitan means "Haricot Vert" and translated into English is « The Green Bean » All the buildings need renovating and we have put priority into growing food to feed everyone who comes to help. There is now more accomodation with more comming soon (inchalla). We are doing most of it on a shoe string with recycled materials, we do what we can with what we can get our hands on.. ! We will be starting on the buildings when there is enought people with enoght energy to get that part going...!
The New project: "The Green Bean, is an Environmental Learning Center and Working Permaculture Farm grounded in a vision of a Positive Future"….
( "I like it, its coherent and it inspires me..! ")
The old world is dying ( i dont belive anyone can deny that one anymore), so let it go gracefully, no need to hurry it up or even slow it down , just stop giving it our/your energy (time/work), Lets create the world we want (history starts now) we all have our own part of the new world that we want ( our story) and at the bean for me it is one of many places to help exchange that knowledge, to write our story, create the world that we want with the tools we can share…
Everyone of us has there part of the new world that we want, so lets create it…!!!
« a natural evolution from passive to active co-creation.. »
Ok see you soon, safe travels whatever road you take....
Mark, Family and Friends
Post Scriptum : There is a 1€ bus from both Perpingan to Quillan (18,5km from here) and a 1€ bus from Carcassonne to Esperaza (14,5km from here). Ask me for time tables.
* People are asked to do there share of cooking and cleaning. Also helping somtimes with Sirius who is now 6 years old son (he is so cute) .
* I am looking for quite independent people with enquiring minds who are not afraid to work and have fun. People just looking for a place to crash/sleep it is elsewhere you will find it.
* There are possibilitys of long term stay to.....!
* Also, I feel it important to talk about how things are going and not let things build up, "we are all learning together" that might just be what the word « life » means (we are all learning together) .. Let it be healthy for both/all parties. And if someone wants to end the experience they should feel free to say without fear …
* I have a hyper sensitivity to unnaturel smells like : purfume, aftershave lotion and deoderents, Please during your stay do not use them, thank you. There are organic alternative ask Mark.
* Oh yes, i am sorry to say NO DOGS please, thank you.!
Compost Toilet info:
Using the compost toilet is about getting back into a healthy cycle and giving back to the earth" Humus" in the form of compost. That by putting humus back into the soil we help restore the bio-mass, what dose that mean: by putting large quantities of humus back into the soil raises the water holding capacity of the earth, thus a greener landscape that will draw clouds and create the opposite effect of that of desertification..! as well as benefits like; Raising the capacity of absorption of CO2 (carbon sinks) And putting non negligible sources of nitrogen potasium and phosphor back into the soil.
Fore More info ask Mark, Ok see you soon maybe.....