Olinda - Melbourne
All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 1.5 acres
Persons: 1 or 2 or more
Category: Non Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 44603
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: January 22, 2018
Hello and welcome to beautiful Olinda.
Note: There are several DIY projects on the go and it is not expected that one person can do all the work. I look forward to hearing from any skilled and experienced Helpx candidates that can help develop a website and have a passion for gardening, tree lopping, repairing fences, building dry stone and bluestone walls, paths and constructing a wood shed or help with some bricklaying and painting projects.
I have accommodation available for a couple or two travelling friends or single male or female helpers.
There is outdoor power and water available and plenty of room with easy parking access for helpers with their own caravan, campervan or for campers to set up their tent and camp out.
Accommodation and all meals are provided in exchange for six (6) hours of work per person, per day for five days per week, followed by two days off.
Most of the work is outside and currently I am seeking an experienced gardener or arborist or stonemason or carpenter/builder/handyperson or bricklayer.
1. The gardener is expected to help maintain and beautify the large garden. Garden maintenance duties include but not limited to: use a whipper snipper to tidy garden edges, drive a ride on mower to cut grass, use a leaf blower to clean paths, use an electric hedge trimmer to trim hedges. Rake leaves, hand weed garden beds, prune roses, shrubs and small trees. Collect fallen bark, branches and sticks off the ground. Gather fire wood from inside or outside property. Remove holly, blackberries, ivy, silver plant, jasmine and weeds and burn garden waste. Plant new or potted plants, spread mulch on garden beds. Soil preparation and water vegetable beds. External house clean. On rainy days, we work indoors painting or splitting firewood with a hydraulic wood splitter and stacking firewood under cover.
2. The arborist must be able to climb trees and use a chainsaw to cut or prune trees and cut up logs. Chainsaw, fuel and ropes are provided.
3. The stonemason is required to help move and sort bluestone pitchers plus build a dry stone retaining wall and rock path.
4. The carpenter/builder/handyman is expected to use power tools and help build a 6 x 4 metres steel shed to store fire wood. Plus help repair some post and wire fencing and if time and weather permits work on some other projects. All tools, materials and engineering consumables are provided.
5. The bricklayer is expected to help build some brick posts for an outdoor Alfresco and a verandah.
6. Also seeking a web developer to develop a website, I will write the online content and provide photos. The purpose of the website is to inform prospective Helpx about the kind of general garden maintenance and DIY projects for the skilled tradies or general handyperson.
After you have completed your 30 hours of work per week, you have two free days so that you can enjoy sightseeing around the local area, or travel into Melbourne city or enjoy the time off in whatever way you choose. I am also happy to negotiate longer working hours for extra days off.
Highlights of the local area: Olinda is located in the heart of the picturesque Dandenong Ranges where there are lots of beautiful nature/bush walks. The property is surrounded by cool climate Mountain Ash forest and many European deciduous trees. There is plentiful wildlife, including, wombats, wallabies, lyrebirds, Crimson Rosellas, Eastern Yellow Robins, Eastern Whipbirds, White-naped Honeyeaters, White-throated Treecreepers, Australian King-Parrots, Laughing Kookaburras and in the evening, you can enjoy a clear starlit sky. I am approximately 4.2 KMS from Monbulk and Olinda village where there are cafes, shops, local buses and just one hour away from Melbourne central.
**For International Travelers: At the airport buy a Telstra SIM card, Telstra has the best network coverage around Australia and it is the only SIM card that works in Olinda. The Telstra store at Melbourne Airport is located at shop 1.15 at the Qantas Domestic Airport Departure Level 1 First Floor, make sure the Telstra salesperson helps you to get the SIM card connected and working on the Telstra network and your mobile phone.
Note: For Helpx planning to stay two weeks or longer you are welcome to use my address to request a Tax File Number (TFN) online from the Australian Tax Office plus set up your bank account with your preferred bank. Most Helpx use Commonwealth Bank. (I am very happy to help you with these tasks provided that you arrive at Monbulk during weekdays and before the bank closes at 4.00pm).
*Option 1: From Melbourne/Tullamarine Airport take the Skybus cost $18.00 to Southern Cross (Spencer Street) Station and buy a Myki card to travel on Melbourne’s public transport.
*The MYKI card costs $6.00 to purchase and the local train and bus fares cost $4.30 for 2 hours travel. (Approximately total travel costs: $28.30).
*From Southern Cross Station take the train to Belgrave Station, at Belgrave take the number 663 bus to Lilydale and make sure you get off at Main Road Monbulk opposite Woolworths and Aldi and wait for me to pick you up at the bus stop. (Make sure you ask the bus driver to let you off at Main Road Monbulk).
*Option 2: A much cheaper alternative but longer travel time (Approximately total travel costs: $10.30) is to take the 901 Bus from the airport to Ringwood Station and then take train to Belgrave Station followed by the 663 bus to Monbulk and make sure you get off at Main Road Monbulk opposite Woolworths and Aldi and I will pick you up from the bus stop. (Make sure you ask the bus driver to let you off at Main Road Monbulk). Route 901 is a Myki ticketed service. Myki card costs $6.00 plus travel costs from Airport to Lilydale and Monbulk is $4.30.
*Please text me on my mobile when you get on the 663 bus to Main Road Monbulk so that I can meet you at the bus stop in front of Woolworths and Aldi stores.
Thank you and happy travels.