All Year: Yes
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 45215
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: February 7, 2016
Hello future helpers,
We are a German couple in our early 60s in great shape and especially active. It has been almost 35 years since we established our farm in South Corsica, close to Sartène, in the valley of Ortolo. We speak German, French and English.
We have a varied farm: a sheep breeding, poultry and a big garden filled with vegetables. We sell the main part of our production on the local markets.
The main activities depend on the season:
- From December till July, our main tasks are the milking sheep and the producing cheese.
- From March to October are dedicated for the preparation and the maintenance of the garden (sowing, planting, plowing) and the harvest of vegetables.
- From October till December we cut wood and take care of the new born lambs.
- All year round we raise chickens (meat and eggs).
The missions may evolve according to the skills and the interests of the helpers for example:
- Taking care animals (feeding, preparing the sheds…),
- Making maintenance works on the property (for ex: fence).
- Gardening and making cheese according to the season.
- Cooking fruits and vegetables of the garden: cans of food, jams, tomato sauces and ratatouille. If you like cooking vegetarian it is ideal :-)
- Other temporary projects
You will participate 5 hours a day with 2 days off a week. Schedules vary with the climate especially in summer when we work early (from 6am) and in the evening (after 6pm) to avoid the hot hours. We supply accommodation, WIFI and meals. We eat mainly our products (vegetables, cheeses, chicken, eggs) and make our own bread. No specific diet like vegan or high-protein PLEASE.
South Corsica is a region rich in prehistory, culture and in varied landscapes where there is a lot to visit. It is better if you have a car/motorcycle or like hitch-hiking. The next village, Sartène, is in 16kms; it is served by a bus which covers half of Corsica 1 or 2 times per day in high season. If you are experimented cyclists (roads are sloppy and sinuous), you can bring your bike.
We look for 1 even 2 helpers (ideally a couple) for minimum 1 month. You have to like the nature and the animals, the physical work and be in good shape. We consider that helpx is a cultural and professional exchange where we share our know-how, our lodging house and meal with people ready to learn new things and to make us discover their culture in return.
Do not hesitate to write us and tell us about you, about your skills, past experiences and about what you would like to learn.
Small bracket for people not been used to animals and to life in the countryside, people who are hypochondriac or allergic : we sometimes have dogs and cats in the house and there are insects in the nature ;-)