All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 34
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 45580
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: November 22, 2017
** Space available Nov/December**
** We have some big projects underway and need people to help with fencing, clearing/weeding/planting, building projects (new greenhouse), planting semi-mature plants, establishing new lawns. Short or longer stays welcome. Come and join our friendly team and enjoy the rainforest! Got an idea for a project? Tell us about it!**
Situated in tropical North Queensland, Ross and Locke sits on the picturesque sandy Mulgrave River, 31km south south-west of Cairns. We are building a 34 hectare regenerative, organic permaculture development working to produce a wide variety of heirloom fruit and vegetables, spices and herbs, as well as training facilities. Future projects will also include bee keeping, egg production, boutique sugar production and many more activities.
We are looking for helpers to undertake a variety of tasks on the farm, in exchange for accommodation and meals.
Helpers are asked to assist for 4-6 hours a day with plenty of flexibility; morning is more suited to work in the tropical environment. Weekends are yours to relax and explore! 2 weeks is recommended to get into the swing of the farm and enjoy the area; longer stays are welcome by mutual agreement. Small groups and couples as well as individual helpers are all welcome.
Pickup/Drop off from Cairns and Gordonvale available by prior arrangement
Tasks can include:
* planting and tending a kitchen garden which provides food for farm workers and visitors
* assisting with earthworks ; building dams, swales, construction pads, shade tents etc
* hand slashing, cutting and mowing weeds and grass
*planting and transplanting potted flora
* tending seedlings and nursery plants
* building fences
* planting high intensity tropical vegetable gardens, propagating tropical palms / plants / fruit trees.
* Shade/Green house work.
* Garden cleaning / weeding and watering.
*Seasonal vegetable harvesting.
* Tropical Garden building around property.
*Construction of fences, water features and other farm infrastructure
* Caring for farm animals (near future)
Facilities for helpers:
* accommodation now available in completed homestead including bathroom and kitchen facilities. Depending on number of people staying beds may be a private bedroom in the house, a shared bedroom, or comfortable camp beds on the large, covered verandas over looking the forest canopy. Lots of lovely shady spaces for tents, campers/vans and swags as well.
*Rainwater, full off grid power Solar power
*Open-air, privacy screened nature showers (valley view & secluded rainforest). Indoor bathrooms available as well.
*A wide variety of fresh local produce, bakery and international foods provided for shared cooking
*Landline Phone and broadband internet (no mobile reception on the property but Skype/WhatsApp etc can be used.
* Beautiful Tropical Rainforest setting with direct access to sandy beaches on the Mulgrave river / Ross&Locke Picnic area, cool shaded rapids for cooling down/bathing/tyre tubing. Kayaks for exploring river reaches and fishing/relaxing.
*Cairns and Great Barrier Reef a half hour drive, also accessible by bus
*Very close to historic Mountain View Pub at Little Mulgrave
*Close to Nature trails and national park at Goldsborough.
*Climb the “Pyramid”