All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 156
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 45836
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: November 22, 2017
Vacancy for 2 helpers from 27 January 2017.
G'day travellers - want to live on a working farm in the stunning Scenic Rim, 1.5 hours south of Brisbane, and 1.5 hours inland from the Gold Coast?
We are a boutique family owned enterprise (husband and wife) that are in the start-up phase of regenerating our farm eco-system to create a chemical free, holistic and sustainable enterprise. After having been inspired by a training program completed in early 2015 with Joel Salatin (www.polyfacefarms.com) we are now producing a range of beyond organic products on-farm. These currently include:
-Pastured Broilers/Meat Chickens
-Pasture fed Beef
We run our farm under Holistic Management principles, moving cattle and chickens every few days to fresh pasture. If you are interested to learn why and how we manage our farm the way we do then we will certainly take the time to explain, and there is access to quite a library of reference material. You can potentially learn quite a lot around regenerative agriculture and regenerative land management techniques, and we are also willing to share financial and business information that can help you consider feasibility of a similar enterprise.
Jobs include chicken, egg and cattle care plus housework, farm maintenance, farm-shop help etc. We have a lot of “establishment phase” work going on which would be useful for someone wanting to learn and potentially help with the business side of running a farm. Activities will largely depend on your particular interests, and what ‘you’ want to learn – the experience is largely self-driven. Anyone with a positive attitude and an interest in learning more will certainly be welcomed at the farm. We have found that those interested in the Joel Salatin / Polyface Farms processes or the Richard Perkins / Ridgedale Permaculture processes enjoy coming to our farm.
We are highly orientated to giving you the experience of living with an Australian family, as well as seeing items of interest in the local area.
You will have a choice of joining us for all meals or preparing some yourselves with ingredients supplied by us. You are welcome to suggest meals and help in their preparation, and prepare some meals for all of us. Coeliacs are catered for and other special requests will be accommodated if possible.
Hiking: We have excellent bushwalking tracks on the farm and also round the area eg Mt Maroon, Mt Barney. Nature is never far away with wallabies observed within 10 metres of the house most days, abundant birdlife, hares, flying foxes and even koalas and on one occasion a Platypus in the farm creek.
For items of interest in the Scenic Rim see: http://www.scenicrimguide.com/scenic-rim-tourism.html, http://www.visitscenicrim.com.au/, and http://www.scenicrimtourism.org.au/, as a start.
Accommodation wise you will have a private en-suite room that also comes with air-conditioning. The large verandah has a seating area, table tennis and a fantastic view of Mt Maroon. We have anywhere between two to five helpers at any one time with occasional visits from one of our sons at weekends.
As recommended by Helpx and to avoid misunderstandings we note the following:
• We need help with jobs involving looking after our meat chickens and laying hens and also normal farm running and maintenance, and housework.
• Our farm has limited mobile coverage on the Telstra network (excellent in certain spots & reasonable from the helper cabin) but other networks may not work at all
• We provide internet connection via WiFi, through the NBN Sky Muster Satellite service. This can include voice (but not video) phone calls over the internet.
• We can only accept non smokers
• We are not in a position to cater for children or pets
• It is 14kms to the local small shop at Rathdowney and 30kms to Boonah where there are shops, hotels, Art gallery and a thriving café culture.
• We expect 25 hours of help/work per week in exchange for food and accommodation
• We would be able to collect you from Brisbane to come to the farm if you use public transport.
• Males and females equally welcome here - attitude is more important than your gender
• The ability to speak and read English is essential as we are developing a detailed manual on how our farm works that you need to understand well
• Experience is welcomed but not by any means essential – we are happy to teach & learn from others
• You need to be enthusiastic, honest & reliable
• You need to be respectful of all living & non-living things on our farm
• Due to our “establishment phase” work commitments we do not have a lot of time for showing you around the local area, but on the basis of your help making a significant difference we intend to be able to take some time to do so.
• If you want to download movies, stream TV or Videos or use Skype equivalents with picture showing etc, you should bring your own wireless broadband device to access the internet, as our download cap cannot absorb such use.
• Minimum stay 2 weeks, longer stays welcome
• No use of illicit drugs allowed
• Must have work clothes & boots as a safety requirement -local charity stores have cheap items. We can supply a hat
• As per the suggestion by helpx all helpers must provide a valid government issue photo id to be copied on arrival and agree to the rules listed here
• We ask that you maintain a clean and tidy environment within your living quarters
• You will have access to a laundry to do your washing. Bed linen is to be washed regularly
• When you vacate your accommodation it is your responsibility to leave it as clean as you found it upon arrival.
• We ask that you complete our Visitors Book on arrival: Details provided include: full name, nationality, passport or driving license number (or other acceptable ID), email address, next of kin phone number and email address and date of arrival. We will also take a photo of arriving helpers
Our location and work qualifies for second year visa. As from September 2015 the new SECOND YEAR VISA conditions require you to be paid the award wage and have pay-slips to prove it. If you have special skills you think we could use then we may be able to come to an agreement, especially if you have the qualifications or experience to maintain and expand our food garden.
Your first contact with us should be an email through helpx. Please email about yourself and include dates you prefer as a first step. Information such as this will be useful:
(NB. If any questions below are already on your helpx profile, please skip to the next question.)
4) Where are you now?
5) Can you speak and understand English? OK? Good?
6) How long would you like to stay?
7) When would you like to arrive?
8) What skills do you have? What are you capable of doing?
9) What kind of jobs have you done in the past?
10) Do you have any medical conditions? Allergies? Injuries?
11) Why are you doing HelpX?
12) Are you travelling by car or by public transport?
13) Can you cook meals?
14) Do you smoke?
15) Do you have a drivers licence? We have a range of farm vehicles that (depending on experience) can be driven by volunteers.
16) Would you be happy with starting some chicken feeding etc duties very early in the morning?
17) Do you have travel insurance?
Preference will be given to those who contact through the helpx channels.