All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 350
Category: Non Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 46219
Region: Western Australia
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: May 13, 2016
*MAY UPDATE 13/05/16 We are urgently seeking carpenters and gardeners for our farm house restoration project AND helpers to assist with seasonal work (e.g. stick picking), tidying farm and help with meals.*
We have two beautiful equestrian and cattle properties in the south west, only 1.5 hours from Perth city. We breed beef cattle and breed and agist horses.
Our home farm is nestled in a valley, with a natural creek running into a series of dams. The property, which has idyllic country views, is surrounded by forrest and is the perfect place for nature walks, feeding the ducks, canoeing or just relaxing on the deck around the dam. We are trying to renovate our house on this farm, so at the moment we are living in the dairy on our working farm.
Our working farm is just 20 mins from our home farm. With just over 200 cattle and around 60 horses, there is always plenty to do! We do not offer horse riding on our farms, but our family have a riding farm not far from us where you can negotiate to do trail rides in exchange for work or, if you prefer, for a modest fee.
As there are plenty of things for you to do, your work will depend on your skills and experience, and the time of year. Generally, jobs may include weeding, cleaning paddocks and laneways, feeding animals, gardening (we have our own vegie patch), working cattle, fixing fences, servicing vehicles, fixing machinery, feeding horses etc.
We welcome anyone with a good work ethic to apply, regardless of experience. However, please let us know if you are qualified or have extensive experience in any of the following trades or skill sets:
Stable Hand/Horse Handler
What we offer:
- Access to enjoy the beauty and serenity of our properties as mentioned above
- An opportunity to experience country life on a working Australian farm with horses and cattle
- Comfortable and clean accomodation
- Food and basic amenities (sometimes we will cook and enjoy meals together, sometimes you will need to make your own).
- Afternoons and most weekends off
- Help learning English
- Sharing our knowledge and experience with you, teaching you new skills
- Friendly, social atmosphere
What we expect from you:
- Fast and efficient work
- A good work ethic with a motivation to get on and get things done, use initiative, see tasks through to completion, and tidy up after yourself
- Good comprehension of English, sufficient to communicate effectively
- No smoking, No drugs
- Australian or international drivers license, own vehicle preferred
- Minimum 1 week, prefer longer
- Non Smoker
Please note: A lot of time and effort goes into preparing for a helper before you arrive and also showing you around, how things work once you get here. We are not unreasonable and understand that you are wanting to enjoy your travel, socialise, learn new things as well as help out. Having said that, if you are not willing to genuinely work and just looking for easy accommodation, then that is not very helpful for us and our farm is probably not for you. We are very open, friendly and sociable and would love to meet people who are genuinely wanting to help farmers and experience our way of life. We love what we do, and we want to share that with you. If you are genuinely willing to help, please give us a call!