All Year: No
Area (ha): 2.5
Category: Non Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 50662
Region: Far North
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: October 2, 2016
We are a couple with 4 children (ages from 5-8) with another on the way (baby due in November)who have recently purchased a small, free-range chicken operation in a picturesque setting.
Our long term goal is to become self-sustainable based on permaculture principles. We already have producing fruit trees, large veggie garden under construction and bees. It is a small piece of land (2.7h or 7 acres) but, with the children, it is big enough to keep us busy.
We have chickens, ducks, a friendly kunekune pig, sheep and a cat.
We are meat eaters. We would prefer people that eat meat as we cannot cater for wholly vegetarian. If you are vegetarian please bring your own protein source.
We live 4km inland from the small village of Taipa which is 31km from Kaitaia or 66km north of KeriKeri. We are close to the very beautiful coastline of Doubtless Bay where you have stunning beaches such as Cable Bay, Coopers Beach, Mangonui, Tokerau, Houhora, KariKari peninsula and more. We are also about 99min from the most northern tip of NZ (Cape Reinga).
Ideally we are looking for a motivated, easygoing couple > 25yrs with landscaping backgrounds or with a hard working ethic who are not afraid to get their hands dirty. We have over an acre of landscaped gardens with native trees and a pond that is need of attention (mostly pruning). We encourage people with experience to offer ideas on landscaping choices.
You are also expected to be good with children and also tolerate a busy household!
It is important that you have your own transport as we live quite isolated.
You are expected to be able to understand and talk in English.
Our agreement would be ….
• Free accommodation 7 days per week in a separate self-contained (includes kitchen) 1 bedroom apartment with a large sunny deck.
• We will provide 3 meals per day during your 5 working days. It is expected that you will help with food preparation and tidy up after meals. Please note: We do NOT provide food on weekends when you are not working.
• 830am-2.30pm Mon-Fri (5 hrs of work/day + 1hour for lunch). You are free after 2.30pm on week days.
• You are free to do your own thing on Sat and Sun.
• It rains a lot here so bring wet weather gear and preferably gumboots and expect to work in the rain sometimes.
• We are looking for a maximum of 2 week commitment.
INSIDE WORK tasks include:
Washing, vacuuming, mopping, sweeping, food preparation, cooking, cleaning, entertaining and supervising children etc.
OUTSIDE WORK tasks include:
Pruning, waterblasting, Gardening, clearing ditches, cleaning sheds, turning hay when grass is mowed, bagging manure, painting, collecting eggs, preparing them for sale, feeding animals etc.
We are looking to share our slice of paradise with motivated people who are willing to contribute and implement agreed ideas.