Santa Cruz de tenerife
All Year: Yes
Host ID: 50926
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: June 8, 2017
Welcome to Tertulia's home, my name is Sonia, my husband Mauricio and my cats Chocolate, and Yuppy or Jupiter who recently arrived to our lives. We are SLOWLIVERS, NOR MAINSTREAMERS NEITHER HIPPIES. We wanna have helpers from 3 nights up to 9 nights. We live in the beautiful Tenerife Island, Canaries in a quiet traditional area of the city. We will be as descriptive as possible. It may sound we are very strict but is not so, is that we want to avoid missunderstandings.
I am new on Helpx and do it due to health problems, but we are not new at hosting people. I also have couchsurfing profile and i do receive some people. I find interesting that platform, but use it less and less. I noted that being too hospitable was preventing me to be productive in my creative activities and i rather have collaborators instead of visitors demanding a lot of time and resources from me. I have given a lot to the universe and I think i would prefer people apreciating the fact of having a shelter and a cool family to be with by earning it. Despites CS has been a possitive experience in general, I had hosted some professional freeloaders and that have made me more selective or carefull with CS.
If you have a couchsurfing profile please let us know to know you better.
**NON SMOKING HOME***
**WHEN WE GO OUT FROM THE FLAT YOU MUST GO OUT TOO. WE DO NO PROVIDE KEYS. I WORK AT HOME.
**CATS SAFETY IS MAIN RULE OF THE HOUSE
• PRIVATE ROOM
Very good for sleeping room ( tiny but cozy, non shared), dark/lighty and with lots of silence to sleep. Accesible home by bus. Our flat is about 90 sm. We have a storage garage and a little terrace up to 20 sm also.
Mostly vegetarian but we also eat sometimes meat based foods. If u are vegan its good and if we eat meat will not be something smelly or will do as vegan as we can with u. We try to eat healthy but are not radical in any sense in our lifes and neighter about feeding ourselves; if you are fundamentalist in that sense is better to do helpx somewhere else.
• bed linens, towels
• washing machine for ur clothes
• Some rides if they are on our way to places within the city
If you bring swimming/pool cloths and glasses and you like it, i can invite you once/twice to the public swimming facilities, or take u to Teresitas beach which is 1 hour by bus from home 20 minuts by car distant. If you want can join us when we go, as we go often.
• books for reading at home and nice music (from our point of view, however, my cats and husband tend to prefer silence !!!)
• we have a hammockand a mat in the terrace that u can use for stargazing or to think or meditate/yoga, etc. not for smoking
• Spanish /german exchange
• RESPECT AND INTIMACY
U have a powder room besides ur room but shower is common. If you whish to conversate we do, if you are not in the mood we will respect, all within good manners and considerate behavior.
DUTIES and ACTIVITIES AT THIS HOMESTAY:
Work 3-4 hours per day, per night you need to sleep at our place. If you are required to work less certain day you will be informed. If you stay 8 nights, one day will be off work.g.
If you know about design, sewing, weaving, origami, pattern making embroidering or have some engineering background that might be useful to create wearable instalations and artclothing let us know. If you are an artist on something let us know to see if some of your skills can be a source of creativity exchange. Part of your work will be then using your brain. If u know autocad 3d and othe 3d programs let us know so we do more hours on pc than on home tasks. If you are an artist but dont like to work in group is quite ok, we do not mind if you prefer to keep on house tasks oriented help.
Please let us know about u us much as u wish. in order we can think the best matching combination of duties our needs of help and your being, skills and knowledge. Each visitor may have diferent skills and each case is different, you wont be pushed to do all this at the same time, you are not a slave, but a person commited to work up to 4 hours per day in a human and as relaxed as possible way.
+++ EXAMPLES OF POSSIBLE TASKS+++
• Help in cooking following instructions; cooking something nice from your land; test recipes making them with me; cook for our cat; lets bake if u are good at it.
• Do cat sitting that is cleanning its sand box and surrounding area. If you like cats you are invited to play with them while you are having a coffe or having breakfats or relaxed at home.
• Doing deep cleaning tasks alone or with our help depending on the task, for example clasification in the kitchen, fridge, work rooms, garage or other rooms; cleanning floors, and toilets; vacuum and windows cleaning.
• Wash dishes
• Water plants
• If you enjoy being a model (you can be any shape or age, i am against conventionalims) maybe we can organize a photo shoot for one of my blogs ( vegan, emotions based fashion or animals lovers one) as part of your hours not additional. Help and join (if you wish) thematic picnics i organize somethimes.
• Ironning some clothes.
• Help us to re-make our pots based little agriculture in our tiny terrace.
• If you know german part of you duties or your time might be used as language exchange.
• If you know chinease, japanese, arabic, farsi or any other language which writting is diffent, you will use part of your time as caligrapher, which is something easy and fun for you! We may need some of your time for translation tasks. All within your time, not more.
We love creative people and to learn from everybody!
• My house is like a cat cafe,they are our Gods. Ur window cannot be open due to cats policy or u have to keep ur door ALWAYS CLOSED. THAT APPLIES FOR THE REST IN ORDER TO KEEP OUR CATS LIFE!
• After your work is well done, feel free to enjoy the island independently until 10:30 pm in weekdays or 12 in weekends if you are out.But if u arrive late please do not cook smelly or noisy.
• Some behaviours are not welcomed in our place: having drugs, drinking or having sex with friends, being noisy. As soon as it happens you will be out of our place and get a bad reference.
• Bring a photocopy of your passport and of your insurance, eurobased social security card, or the insurance from the credict card uused to buy the tickets. THIS IS ONLY WHEN YOU ARE HERE, WE ARE NOT REQUESTING YOU TO SEND IT VIA E-MAIL. WE NEED TO KNOW YOU HAVE YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE OK AND HAVE A REGISTER OF WWHO WAS AT OUR PLACE IN CASE SOMETHING WRONG OR BAD HAPPENS REGARDING YOUR OR OUR SECURITY. SO PLEASE DO NOT SEND IT AHEAD IN TIME, ONLY BRING THAT WITH YOU AS YOU COME.
• You wont have our keys and you must go out when we are not at home.
• Respecting our schedulles. I will wake you up between 9-10 am. Take it into account if you are a night chatter. If u wake up earlier you can go to the terrace to relax or read until 9.
• We respect you, you respect us
WHAT WE LIKE OR DISLIKE:
We like Independent travelers who are not iddle at home after they finish their duties. Of course you can rest as much you need but if you stay too much time iddle at home you may be bored at your room. We consider we are tolerant people. We wont discriminate if you are part of a minority. we respect your believings, we expect the same from you.
Hate not honest people, steal or any other lack of respect to property. We all avoid people with rude maners. if you are not polite you will be asked to look for a hostel.
MORE ABOUT LIFE IN SANTA CRUZ:
• Bus is not so cheap but you are saving a lot by staying with us so you can get info with us or places reachable by bus or easy for autostop.
• For europeans or foreigners holding a spanish NIE, public libraries usage are for free. i love to go.
• there is a free botanical garden 15 minuts walking from home and a nearby park if you want to read or need your space to be alone or with friends.
• a coffe and a sandwish can be about 4.5 euro in a cafeteria if our food is not of your taste or eating out fits ur plans.
• Parque Maritimo is an affordable place to enjoy swimming pool reading a book and vintage architecture besides the sea.
• You have La laguna 35 minuts away by tramp from home.
• there is a subtropical jungle to visit called Laurisilva, for that u need a lot of bus logistics. if you come to the island for longer we teach u some manners of enjoying this bio jewel.
• We give you ideas about low budget life as traveller or visitor and you tell us ur experience as well =)