All Year: June to September
Area (ha): 25
Host ID: 5390
Region: Nova Scotia
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: February 26, 2017
CLOSED for the frigid winter season. Thank you.
You are invited to share in this sustainable living experience in front of the ocean in Nova-Scotia.
What you get:
- an off-the-grid living experience in one of the nicest province of Canada.
- a secluded ocean-front location to appreciate the ever-changing natural beauty of the ocean around.
- food and shared accommodation in the cottage. If you prefer you can also pitch a tent. Eating healthy is the goal - with lots of opportunities to pick berries, go clamming and share recipes.
- you will also have free time to enjoy the outdoors: swimming in the ocean which is only steps away. Central NS offers lots of backpacking opportunities. We can organize weekend outings to watch the whales, go sailing, hike, canoe or go camping. A bicycle is available for you to use. If you want to learn to sail this is THE place!
- are you from overseas and want to improve on your English or French? No problem we can "exchange languages"!
What you offer:
- above anything else: your positive attitude, open-mind and a desire to try something new.
- a desire to embrace a simpler lifestyle: we live off-grid which means fewer creature comfort. For instance electricity comes from solar panels, so we must be careful with electric appliances. We conserve water as well.
- about 4 hours of work a day. We have three major types of projects: "light construction", "gardening" and "homesteading". You can expect to be involved in each; but that also depends on your preference and the timing of your stay.
- help with the domestic chores such as cooking and cleaning. You're part of the cottage life - not just a guest.
Project List (a small sample)
- plant some spruce trees and tend to them,
- cultivate and plant several vegetable crops
- re-start the herb garden
- harvest seaweed for the compost
- pick strawberries, blueberries and make jams
- house maintenance and improvement
- sailboat maintenance and cleaning
Where is Wild Ocean Cottage?
6km from the town of Yarmouth and about 300km from Halifax (international airport). There is a shuttle service between Halifax and Yarmouth. Instructions will be provided to help you find Yarmouth and will pick you up at the shuttle stop in Yarmouth. Sometimes we can also arrange to meet in Halifax if the schedules match.
Internet, Skype and bicycle are available for your use.
On parle Francais.
Short stays welcome.