All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 45
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 56548
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: June 20, 2018
READ ALL OF THIS PLEASE.
If you come here and we find out you have no clue about anything, you might be asked to leave again. So, please, READ THIS. We will know if you didnít.
MINIMUM STAY: four weeks.
WHAT WE NEED
At the moment we need people with basic construction and/or woodwork skills as we need to build new bird aviaries, and some dog kennels. If you have NO such skills, and NO animal experience at all, please do not apply.
Three very important points:
1. Animals come first. Always. If you have a bad attitude, or the animals are scared of you, then you will not work with them. We LOVE our animals. You, on the other hand, we donít even know yet. So, we and the animals first need to see what kind of person and worker you are. If you have your own animals, you will understand this.
2. We are not a language school. You need to be able to understand and speak English well enough to understand our instructions.
3. If you need company every evening, then this might not be the place for you. You need to be able to be happy with your own company and be able to keep yourself entertained on your own most of the time. If you like peace and quiet, this is a good place for you to read, write, think, take walks, etc.
WHO WE ARE
We are an animal charity in Aberdeenshire, about one hour away from Aberdeen in a very rural area with limited public transport. A local bus can be arranged on your days off to pick you up to go to places. We have a large pack of large dogs, two handfuls of cats who think they rule the place, one grumpy rabbit, some horses (not for riding), and a few dozen birds of prey (which you will NOT work with at all).
You will work five hours five days a week and have two days off. Sometimes you work fewer hours, then another day more. You need to be flexible. We can also let you work more one week, then you can save days off to take longer trips.
Your accommodation will be in a static caravan with three bedrooms, one kitchen (where you need to do your cooking), one living area, a shower and a toilet. Another living area is in a large Mongolian Yurt, where there also is internet access (reasonable speed considering the rural location).
FOOD AND COOKING
Food will be provided, but nothing unusual or luxury. We do cater for vegans and vegetarians, but donít buy the more expensive vegan/vegetarian food products (they are often also not available where we shop), but basic stuff is no problem, e.g. soy milk and Quorn products. We do not provide gluten-free products.
ALL VOLUNTEERS NEED TO:
- be reasonably fit (i.e. able to carry bags of animal feed, bags of cement, logs of wood and so on)
- be able to deal with animal shit
- speak and understand English well enough to understand instructions
- clean after themselves (e.g. bathroom and kitchen)
- true animal lovers (not just people who just say they ďloveĒ animals)
YOU WILL BE UNHAPPY HERE IF YOU:
- think we will teach you English.
- are an extrovert who doesnít know what to do with his/her time when alone
- expect luxury food items (like Amary from the reviews, who was annoyed with us because we bought DEAD meat from the supermarket, didnít buy him the most expensive cheese and did not buy him wine)
- donít like rain
- donít like cold nights
- need clean clothing all the time. Electricity is not cheap and we are a charity, so we ask volunteers to only do laundry once or twice a week and use the sun for drying
If you have read this far, thatís awesome. Most people donít and send the same email to every host. We donít want an email that just says ďHey, do you have a space from date to date? I like your place.Ē Please tell us WHY you would like to come here and WHAT you can offer, not just that you like the place and thatís why you want to come here. If you send a generic email, we will most likely not reply.