All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 700sqm
Persons: 1 or 2
Host ID: 57866
Region: Western Australia
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: June 20, 2018
| _______________ (¯`·.·´¯) VEGAN (¯`·.·´¯) VEGAN (¯`·.·´¯) VEGAN (¯`·.·´¯) _______________ |
We ONLY take vegans OR those willing to consume plant based food in our home.
MINIMUM STAY 7 days
WE NEED Handy men/women for lot’s of different jobs | -- TWO HOURS PER DAY – | 5 DAYS PER WEEK (Flexible)
We are Buddhist and we need people to help out in our local Temple. No specific skill is required, however Painting, Gardening, weeding, and generally helping around the grounds, is usually what is needed. Our local Temple is about 10-15 minutes away. THIS REQUIRES THAT YOU WORK 2 x 4hr days, twice per week. And one two hour day in our home. We drive you there and pick you up. If your skills are not suited to Temple work, you can offer your two hours to us at our home.
On top of the above hours, we ask that you assist with "CHORES" as do all helpx HOSTS that I know of. It helps "bonding" when we share the workload. Chores of course are 7 days a week, things like, Empty dishwasher, Fill, dishwasher, wash your sheets, towels at least weekly, sweeping, mopping, peel garlic, onions, potatoes, etc.. as needed - no more than most people would normally do, helping out mum/dad at home.
It separates us from being a Hotel and more like a family. We Hope you agree and share these values??
We have tried many ways to maintain our vegan way of life, we have reduced the hours to 2 ONLY, 5 Days per week - which offsets your accommodation ONLY.
FURTHER: As this is a private home, we ask that people not cook their own food. This was breaking the bank, multiple people cooking every day (7 days) crushed us financially.
Australia’s electricity prices are THE HIGHEST IN THE WORLD.
We ask you to agree on $95.00 *PER PERSON* - *PER WEEK*, ($13.60 per day) for ALL FOOD, electricity/gas costs, fuel, and more. This is for SEVEN days and not just the days you are working. This is lower than ALL dorm beds in Perth and dorm beds do NOT include 3 VEGAN meals a day. OR your own private room.
We are flexible with hours worked, having (had) those with FULL TIME jobs, who need LOW COST – All inclusive (food) – accommodation – If you wish to do your 10 hours before/after work, please let us know.
In return for your commitment, you get.
• PICK UP from our local rail station (Other “pick up” options may be available – we send details on confirmation of your stay)
• FREE - delicious "LUNCH BOX" for those working/studying.
• Your own private room, complete with bed linen and towels.
• Double Bed available for couples.
• FREE Use of a bicycle & helmet
• FREE use of a Kayak on the nearby lake.
• FREE 24/7 NBN Internet
• FREE use of washing machine and detergent.
• FREE Print/scanning facilities
• You can accompany us on most of our trips, shopping, sightseeing, etc.
AS STATED: We are Buddhist and we need people to help out in our local Temple.
Please note: Buddhism is a philosophy of life and you need to feel comfortable being in a Temple. The monks usually invite you to join them in their main meal of the day (**DURING your working hours** - how good is that :-) ). Our closest friend is a “Catholic-Buddhist” - no dichotomy there, despite what many think.
If you are NOT comfortable with being at a Temple, we are flexible in how you use your hours, in our home, up to and including 2 x 5hr days. We never work on Sat/Sun as this is OUR free time.
THIS IS ESSENTIAL - Like YOU, we need to know some things: When you write to us, PLEASE include your answers to the following questions:-
1. PLEASE let us know your skills and how you think you can help us + your willingness to help with "chores"..
2. A FIRM date you can start - PREFERABLY no more than TWO weeks into the future. Plus, what is the minimum time, you feel, you can stay for.
3. PLEASE let us know your vegan status and/OR willingness to eat only Vegan in our home.
4. ANY ALLERGIES or any health issue you think we should know??
5. YOUR ACCEPTANCE of the $18.00 food charge.
6. Our home is HEAVILY insulated and rarely gets “very” cold. We never heat our home, preferring to add an extra layer of clothing, if needed. We need your understanding that we do NOT “heat” our home. Australia’s electricity prices are THE HIGHEST IN THE WORLD. IF you need a fan heater in your room, we have no option but to charge you $49.00 per WEEK for it’s use. ($7.00 per day). NO refunds for days you choose not to use. We NEVER use electric blankets – but get asked by “some nationalities”. - – If you own one, you are free to use it (No charge) – we do not supply them.
In summer we use the air-conditioning – it is a very efficient evaporative system. We use fans at night, nights in excess of 30 degrees (approx 90F), we can (by consensus) us A/C – personally we never bother, fans are all we ever need.
(Just the above SIX questions :-)
Warm Regards - Mal & Lee