All Year: No
Area (ha): 0,3
Host ID: 58184
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: August 28, 2017
Get experience in yurt building!
We are Sanne and Marc, a couple from the Netherlands.
We are living with our 1,5 year old baby Yoel in a caravan in Quinta do Sol, a small piece of land close to the village Cheleiros. It's in a nice agricultural valley close to Mafra and Sintra and the atlantic ocean.
We started building our own yurt end of March and still have lots of work to do.
We need 1-3 people to help us out with the building and other jobs. You're welcome to come for any amount of time!
We're looking for people who can take care of themselves: we can't entertain you every evening or have three meals a day waiting for you. Sanne is currently recovering from a burnout and can't be a very social host. Therefore we count on you to prepare your own breakfast and dinner, and we see the cooking of lunch as one of the jobs to be done each day by a different person.
- making the walls: tying knots, cutting bamboo, tying more knots ---> almost done!
- making roof poles: harvesting small eucalyptus trees, steam bending the wood, cutting poles to size
- felt insulation: cutting and sewing the felt to the right size
- baby sitting: entertaining Yoel, so Sanne can also work on the yurt or get some rest
- cooking & washing up
- are you a carpenter and you like to work on something original? we still need help building the doors! (the doorframes are almost finished)
- a big four person tent with a mattress to sleep on
- a well for washing water -> cold bucket showers are lovely in the sun :-) -> there is no tap!
- a communal kitchen space
- the food (fruit/cereal/bread/cheese for breakfast and dinner, and a decent vegetarian meal for lunch)
If you don't have your own transport, we can pick you up somewhere. Without transport you can go for walks to the nearby river, hillside or village and hang out in the lovely garden.
With your own transport or public transport there are lots of things to visit in the area: Sintra and Mafra are nice tourist towns, and there are beautiful beaches near.