Mt Barney. Rathdowney
All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 20
Persons: 2 - 4
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 6564
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: April 24, 2018
We need HELP, lots of help!!!! For a few weeks or more We hope to give you a different but comfortable home, full of good food, family fun, foot tapping music and happy times in return for your blood, sweat and tears!!!!!!! (only joking about the blood!!! But Definitely no joke about the sweat and .... maybe the tears!!! ;) and some will tell you that the blood is not a joke either!!!! Eeek!!!!!!! :)
We have so many projects on the go with so many opportunities to learn, build and create something suited to your own personal creativity!
We are a fun loving and easy going family chasing the good life! We are a Mum and dad with three kids... Alara 11, Connor 10 and Benjamin 3.5!!! We live on 50 acres, with our own little hill, two dogs, two cats, and an unfortunate turnover of chickens!!!! (Bad dogs!!! There is only 3 left!!!)
Where we live is a great spot for nature lovers, with lots of native wildlife, great scenery, lots of walks and some excellent mountains to climb!
Our place is a little different!! We are completely off the grid, self sustainable, using solar power, rain water tanks and composting toilets! Our house is a construction site!!! Literally every wall in our house is currently in the process of being rebuilt, covered / sculpted using stone off the property, cob, straw and mosaic glass bottles.
Our roof is a crazy tent design using a thick membrane plastic and is in need of fixing / replacing in certain places, so when it rains, it can rain in the house as well!!!
Luckily for you! Your accommodation is not in our house!!!! :) We have a caravan that sleeps four at a squeeze, 2 - 3 comfortably...
Of all the projects that we have on the go or begging to be started, at the moment our most important projects are:
* creating a compost hot water system that will provide continual hot water for all of us without the need of fire, solar or gas
* collecting and breaking down all the compost materials for our hot water system by clearing and landscaping our property, and In turn we will begin to landscape a small and simple eco friendly campsite for no more than 12 campsites
*. Extending the kitchen and giving Amber her dream kitchen. This entails stone and cob walls and creative window frames!! (The magnitude of this build can only ease Brianís mind with your presence!!!)
*. Completing a rocket stove and some much needed air flow in the main bedroom!
*. Completing Our bathroom using only stone from the property and an entire wall of glass bottles!!!!
*. Using natural timber from our property to build our children a real cool bed / wardrobe / drawer / desk / staircase structure in their room!!! Lovers of carpentry and building who do not have a fear of true Australian hard wood will really enjoy this challenge!!!!
* Finishing glass bottle and mosiac designs for all our walls and windows! (in order for us to collect enough bottles to do this, the rule in our house is you must choose your beer or wine based on it's colour of glass rather than flavour or cost!!!!!!!!!!! :). (Always an accepted problem when the budget only allows Goon!!!!!:)
* Weeding, planting, landscaping and resurrecting all garden areas. (Amber has a dream of a permaculture food forests!!!! But very little time and knowledge to make her dream a reality, so please all garden / permaculture loving peoples you are very welcome to come and get your hands dirty!!!!)
* Working on the caravan and surrounding area to create a really comfortable and self sustainable living/communal area for yourselves!
* Completing the tree house for the kids. And painting a handball court on the living room floor!!! (The kids asked us to write this!! haha!)
As you get to know us, you will see that the above list goes on and on and on and on!!!...........
We all have really full schedules with commuting to work / School, and extracurricular activities so we are not at home as often as we would like to be..... there is a HUGE element of independence that is required from you whist staying with us.
In return for daily household chores and 4 - 5 hours of help with our projects a day, we offer:
* Great company!! We seem to always get a really good group of people and try to have lots of fun, especially on a Saturday night!
* 3 substantial meals a day. Due to our schedule we will provide prepared meals when we can, or more than sufficient food supplies for you to cook for yourselves, over the years we have learnt to accomodate nearly all food preferences and allergies... plus we absolutely love vegetarian / vegan!!
* Basic accommodation - , no electricity or running water (yet!!), but great stars and camp fires!!! a decent head torch is always helpful!!. We can charge all batteries at the house!
* We wont lie our internet connection is not great! Telstra and optus work here with the right phones (4G and Blue Tick technology) We have a very limited amount of wifi that you can connect to. It would be better to have your own phone / internet especially for those who need a lot contact with the outside world!!
* No TV! But a reasonably decent collection of movies and Books -
* 1 day off for each week of helping out. But don't worry We always allow for post party nights or extra long days of help!!! We love our rest and down time as much as the next person!!!
* Help with transport whenever we can. There is no public transport or shops near our home. (So people with a car always feel a bigger sense of freedom here)
* We could keep going on and on and on!!!!........ :)
There are a few important things to consider before thinking to stay with us.
* Our house and accommodation is not even 3 star in any shape or form, but it is creative! Our house is a construction site. Nearly all the work ensures getting dirty! And even with the most thorough cleaning our house doesn't ever seem to feel super clean! ....
* Your accommodation... The caravan is comfortable enough, but very basic, It has a double bed and a separate small room with a bunk bed, outside chairs and tables, a camp fire with bnever ending wood supply and most importantly your own privacy away from the family home!!!
* To have a hot shower you need to light a fire (until we build the compost hot water system!!!) and we must always be careful with how much water we use, so showers are not too long!
* All the toilets are compost, the caravan has a simple toilet that consists of a chair, a toilet seat and a bucket!!!!! (You don't have to use it if you don't want!!!! :) The main house toilet is a throne with a view!
* Because we are using solar, we must always be sparing with the power we use, there are no toasters, electric kettles or microwaves! But do not fear!!!! We still have boiling water, toast and hot food!!! It just all takes a little longer to prepare than you may be used to !!!!
* Over the years our house has been rebuilt in a very alternative way and we are having to be extremely creative with our structures and are learning new techniques everyday!!! . (Thank you google and you tube!!! :)
* Our projects and way of living takes a little while to get used to, so we prefer helpers to stay for a minimum of 2 - 4 weeks.
If you are interested in coming out to help, please send us an email with some information about yourself and why and when you want to come and stay with us. Please also let us know how long you think you might like to stay for.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Amber, Brian, Alara, Connor and Baby Benjamin!
Ps. We are smokers so smokers and non smokers are welcome!!
P.P.P.s!!! You will see from our reviews that over the past few years we have had a lot of big groups, 8 - 10 helpers at a time, presently we are not able to accommodate so many, so things may be a little quieter and may suit couples or people that are willing to be part of a small group of four.... BUT.... if you have a campervan, a tent or a willingness to reinvent an old caravan, there is always space for a few more!
We canít wait to meet you!! Xx