Mt Barney. Rathdowney
All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 20
Persons: 2 - 4
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 6564
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: December 27, 2017
We need HELP, lots of help!!!! And in exchange we hope to give you a home, full of good food, family fun, foot tapping music and happy times in return for your blood, sweat and tears!!!!!!! (only joking about the blood!!! But Definitely no joke about the sweat and .... maybe the tears!!! ;) and some will tell you that the blood is not a joke either!!!! Eeek!!!!!!! :)
We have so many projects on the go with so many opportunities to learn, build and create something suited to your own personal creativity!
We are a fun loving and easy going family chasing the good life! We live on 50 acres, with our own little hill, two dogs, two cats, and an unfortunate turnover of chickens!!!! (Bad dogs!!! There is only 3 left!!!)
Where we live is a great spot for nature lovers, with lots of native wildlife, great scenery, lots of walks and some excellent mountains to climb!
Our place is a little different!! We are completely off the grid, self sustainable, using solar power, rain water tanks and composting toilets! Our house is a construction site!!! Literally every wall in our house is currently in the process of being rebuilt, covered / sculpted using stone off the property, cob, straw and mosaic glass bottles.
Our roof is a crazy tent design using a thick membrane plastic and is in need of fixing / replacing in certain places, so when it rains, it often rains in the house as well!!!
Luckily for you! Your accommodation is not in our house!!!! :) We have a caravan that sleeps four at a squeeze, 2 - 3 comfortably...
Of all the projects that we have on the go or begging to be started, at the moment our most important projects are:
*. Extending the kitchen, solving a rather large subsidence problem and giving Amber her dream of a new kitchen. This entails stone foundations, stone and cob walls, imaginative window frames a stone kitchen floor!!!! (The magnitude of this build can only ease Brianís mind with your presence!!!)
* Painting a 2m glass mosaic dragon!!
*. Painting a handball court on our living room floor!!
*. Completing a rocket stove and some much needed air flow in the main bedroom!
*. Completing Our bathroom using only stone from the property and an entire wall of glass bottles!!!!
*. Using natural timber from our property to build our two boys a real cool bed / wardrobe / drawer / desk / staircase structure in their room!!! Lovers of carpentry and building who do not have a fear of true Australian hard wood will really enjoy this challenge!!!!
* Finishing glass bottle and mosiac designs for all our walls and windows! (in order for us to collect enough bottles to do this, the rule in our house is you must choose your beer or wine based on it's colour of glass rather than flavour or cost!!!!!!!!!!! :). (Always an accepted time problem when the budget only allows Goon!!!!!:)
* Weeding, planting, landscaping and resurrecting all garden areas. (Amber has a dream of permaculture food forests!!!! But very little time and knowledge to make her dream a reality, so please all garden / permaculture loving peoples you are very welcome to come and get your hands dirty!!!!)
* Working on the caravan and surrounding area to create a really comfortable and self sustainable living/communal area for yourselves!
* Building a tree house for the kids. (The kids asked me to write this!! haha!)
* For the right people, childcare, Au Pair style.(This is something really important presently, so please all children loving nanny type girls and guys, you are very welcome!!! Our 10 year old girl, 9 year old boy and little 3 year old Baby Ben will be so happy to have someone different to play with!!!!)
As you get to know us, you will see that the above list goes on and on and on and on!!!...........
Brian works full time in Brisbane and commutes four hours each day and Amber works three days a week in Beaudesert half an hour away, so there is an element of independence that is required whist staying with us. Help with cooking meals and general day to day cleaning of the family home is expected and really, REALLY appreciated!! :) (anyone who loves to clear clutter and clean will have a really rewarding experience in our home!!!!!!!! :)
In return for daily chores and 4 hours help a day, we offer:
* Great company!! We seem to always get a really good group of people and try to have lots of fun, especially on a Friday night!
* 3 meals a day, Amber really enjoys cooking, But also loves it when you want to cook! :) Over the years we have overcome nearly all allergy and food preference challenges!!!! Amber LOVES vegetarian!!!
* Basic accommodation - , no electricity or running water, but great stars and camp fires!!! a decent head torch is always helpful!!. We can charge all batteries at the house and we have 3 decent bright torches.
* We wont lie our internet connection is not great! Telstra and optus work here with the right phones (4G and Blue Tick technology) We have a very limited amount of wifi that you can connect to. It would be better to have your own phone / internet especially for those who need a lot contact with the outside world!!
* No TV! But a reasonably decent collection of movies and Books -
* 1 day off for each week of helping out. But don't worry We always allow for post party nights and longer days helping build with Brian!! We love our rest and down time as much as the next person!!! (Amber probably likes even a little more than the next person!!!)
* Help with transport to and from the closest small towns, the national parks and swimming holes. Also to Brisbane or Beaudesert when possible. There is no public transport or shops near our home. (So people with a car always feel a bigger sense of freedom here)
* We could keep going on and on and on!!!!........ :)
There are a few important things to consider before thinking to stay with us.
* Our house and accommodation is not even 3 star in any shape or form, but it is creative! Our house is a construction site. Nearly all the work ensures getting dirty! And even with the most thorough cleaning our house doesn't ever seem to feel super clean! We are really proud of the fact that everything is closer to being finished and are so excited to see the moments of completion to come within the next year!!!
* The caravan is comfortable enough, but very basic, It has a double bed and a separate small room with a bunk bed. As we mentioned you will have great camp fires and excellent stars and your own privacy away from the family home!!!
* To have a hot shower you need to light a fire, and we must always be careful with how much water we use, so showers are not too long!
* All the toilets are compost, the caravan has a simple toilet that consists of a chair, a toilet seat and a bucket!!!!! (You don't have to use it if you don't want!!!! :) The main house toilet is a throne with a view!
* Because we are using solar, we must always be sparing with the power we use, there are no toasters, electric kettles or microwaves! and because of this everything takes just that little bit longer to do!!
* Our house was originally built in a very alternative way and in order for us to rebuild it, we are having to be extremely creative with our structures and are learning new ways everyday!!! builders, carpenters and mudders will need to have an open mind and creative imagination.
* Our projects and way of living takes a little while to get used to, so we prefer helpers to stay for a minimum of 2 - 4 weeks.
If you are interested in coming out to help, please send us an email with some information about yourself and why and when you want to come and stay with us. Please also let us know how long you think you might like to stay for.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Amber, Brian, Alara, Connor and Baby Ben!!!
Ps. We are smokers so smokers and non smokers are welcome!!
P.P.s. We can help with transport from Brisbane city or Beaudesert.
P.P.P.s!!! You will see from our reviews that over the past few years we have had a lot of big groups, 8 - 10 helpers at a time, presently we are not able to accommodate so many, so things are a little quieter and would suit couples or a small group that are looking for some time out somewhere different, far from the bright lights of the city! BUT.... if you have a camper can, a tent or a willingness to reinvent an old caravan, there is always space for a few more!