All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 13.75 ha/34 acres
Persons: Many, many
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 7327
Region: Western Australia
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: October 20, 2017
Updated October 19th, 2017
We are looking for helpers right now..., so.., if your a couple travelling around the South West in a camper van and your looking for a place to stay in the Margaret River area while you look for work - please feel welcome to visit here and check this special place out !
This small farm is on Caves Rd...., very close to Hamelin Bay and right beside the Leeuwin/Naturaliste National Park. There are many forest trails here..., plus the old railway walk trail is also right beside us.
The weather by the Indian Ocean here is really nice now and it will only get better. There's many things volunteer helpers can do to help us.., I usually give helpers a choice of things to do.
We've been quite busy lately and have a new "rainwater" solar hot water system.., plus new grid connected 5 kw solar energy system(free energy as long as the sun is shining). We've also just installed a new ceiling and lots of woollen insulation..., the ceiling is almost finished being painted.
There are many very beautiful and peaceful camping places in the Margaret River area -here and some camps have an outdoor kitchen with rain water sink set up. This is a great location to base yourself if you're wanting to sample some genuine Aussie bush camping. Visitor/helpers can have a small campfire in the evenings. I can usually find employment in our local area for helpers who stay here.
I ask for 2 or 3 hours help per day/per person in exchange for somewhere to camp, toilet and hot showers.
We are very sorry but we don't usually provide meals or wifi.
- (1) We need visitor/helpers to speak and understand English..., basic is fine - BUT, it's important we understand each other.
- (2) We prefer helpers who are interested in permaculture, organic gardening, sustainable living and looking after this environment.
- (3) We prefer visitors and helpers who are self contained with their own camper van, vehicle, tent and camping equipment - there's many really cool and private camp sites here. I can help out with tables, chairs and other outdoor kitchen stuff.
- (4) W'ere very sorry but can NOT sign for a second year visa.
- (5) We welcome any artists or creative people.
- (6) Happy and enthusiastic travellers are especially welcome.
This area is the unchanged/unspoilt part of Margaret River. Our land has a natural parkland appearance with many shady groves of Peppermint and Grass Trees..., there's also a stream winding through the middle property..., this attracts a lot of wildlife from the National Park - just yesterday there was Mature Male and Female Emu with 5 young chicks wandering around here. We're pretty lucky to have all the usual Australian native animals roaming and flying around here..., freely and safely !
Karridale Tavern, Post Office and Cafe is 5 minutes drive away, Hamelin Bay is 6km(by road), Margaret river is 20 minutes drive north..., and Augusta is 15 minutes drive to the south. Blackwood river swimming is 10 min and many tourist caves are within 10 km.
Work time - right now there's weeding in the gardens and orchard..., and making the land around our house bushfire ready - this means reducing the fuel loading by picking up sticks and branches, raking leaves, grass cutting...., maybe some house cleaning..., maybe some building work on our home. Everything by mutual agreement and negotiation.
Play time - In your free time it's possible to go surfing, bush walking and mountain bike riding in the National Park forest beside us, or relax with a book in one of the hammocks, go beach walking, swimming or snorkling at Hamelin Bay..., the list of outdoor activities is almost endless. I usually go fishing once or twice a week and weather permitting helpers are welcome to join us. I can also help visitors to find work in the local area.
There's very good 4G coverage here - pre-paid with Telstra or Optus.
(1) Where Karri trees and pasture meet.
(2) White sand beach at Boranup. A 3 km walk through quiet forest trails from my little farm.
(3) Secret crayfish holes right on the shoreline !
(4) Karri tree (Eucalyptus diversicolor).
(5) Indian ocean bounty.
(6) Private fishing hole - north end of Hamelin Bay.