All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 10
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 7656
Region: South Australia
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: May 18, 2013
We are looking for HelpX volunteers (couples - Male & female) to help us around our 10ha Hobby Farm.
A photograph must be provide at first contact.
Please visit at our website (see link above), for more information.
There you will see the Booking calendar for available vacancies,local sights, travel information etc.
We have things to do most of the time and would like a little help in exchange for:
* Three home cooked meals a day
* A warm bed (double bed & TV in one room, three single beds in adjoining room)
* Wood stove in kitchen
* Wood heater in lounge room
* Spare time (there will be lots) & we can go fishing ( The new boat is nearly ready for launching)
* Travel advice
* And more
In return for your help to:
**** Help weeding the front garden is now urgent ****
* Feeding animals
* Light fencing.
* Help to build & repair.
* Light gardening & lawn mowing.
* Maybe some painting.
* General housekeeping duties.
* There can be opportunities to learn to drive tractors, the farm ute and quad bike.
* We are able to sign off 2nd year visas.
If you love animals and want to see country South Australia and how Aussies live, come and stay for a while.
We offer free in-house accommodation & meals for your assistance.
This is not a paid position.
You must be able to speak some English
Be non smoker/s
We have no prejudice to race or beliefs
A commitment to a minimum of a two week stay, extended stays may be available if other persons are not here.
A little about us
* My wife & I are retired and have a little (10ha) hobby farm next to Mount Gambier and the Blue Lake
* We raise Sheep, cattle, goats (both milking & meat), Rex Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, Geese, Squab, Chickens, Guinea fowl & bees.
* We cut & bale our own hay (small bales),
* We make goat cheese & butter.
* We have our own wood lot of Blue Gum & Sugar Gum.
* We cut our own wood
* Have a small slaughter house with cool room & solar hot water system.
* We pump our own water from the bore with a windmill.
* We have three dogs.
Donna the Maremma, she takes care of protecting the animals. She is a big loving dog to everybody except foxes.
Baxter is the inside dog. A Miniature Fox Terrier/Jack Russell cross. It's the last bit that makes him a Little rascal, but he loves every one and protects them (at least he thinks he dose), we also now have Cassie, a little Chiwawa cross. This lovely affectionate dog was found abandoned and now has a lovely life on Penney Farm also. She and Baxter have become very close companions and together they enjoy every ones company
What we believe
* We don't believe farming contributes to carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
* We don't believe in governments which are now an industry and not there to serve the people
* We believe in the original teachings of Buddha