All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 2
Persons: 1 or 2
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 79350
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: October 27, 2017
Note: Next availability will be LATE NOVEMBER 2017 at the earliest.
Active now or very soon:
- Plant the last of the flax
- Set up a large herb and veggie garden
- Design and build a chicken tractor
- Knock back the wild ginger and other weeds
You will enjoy a lovely secluded setting with lots of running water, native bush and birdlife, in exchange for a few hours work a day and a wee bit of help around the house.
The work is varied, and some of it is strenuous. You will need to be strong and healthy.
We live in a cottage nestled in a valley surrounded by native bush and streams. Over the hill is a hectare of bare land recently cleared of weed trees, with another stream running along the far end. The long term plan is to establish a permaculture food forest, with a few small animals. We are just a few months into the project. We are clearing and planting spaces, preparing to improve access routes and put down some services (water, electricity, etc.). We do not yet have any domestic animals on the property.
We offer a private room with a comfy bed, food (your choice of diet), unlimited wifi, and opportunities to make music if you're so inclined.
We're close to Muriwai's famous gannet colony and challenging surf, where kite surfers ply the black sandy beaches, and Goldie Hawn and Te Henga-Bethells bush walks.
You might also enjoy finding and identifying species around the property. We have heaps of fungus (mushrooms) in addition to plants and birds. Can you find where Ruru sleeps?
- The A-frame cottage surrounded by native forest.
- Kereru and friends in a tree out front.
- Drone selfies out in the back yard. That grass must go!
- We planted 350 new natives along the stream canyon edge.
- Two of our previous volunteers working in the grass.
- You tell me! Lots of interesting things to see around here.