All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 2
Persons: 1 or 2
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 79350
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: October 10, 2017
- Planted about 1000 natives.
- Set up a veggie garden
- Install new fencing around the paddock
Active now or very soon:
- Designing and building a chicken tractor
- Planting more natives and productive trees
- Setting up an herb garden
- Building a sheep shelter
- Laying down a water supply
- Knocking back the wild ginger and other weeds
Enjoy a lovely secluded setting with lots of running water, native bush and birdlife, in exchange for a few hours work a day and a wee bit of help around the house.
The work is varied, and some of it is strenuous. You will need to be strong and healthy.
We live in a cottage nestled in a valley surrounded by native bush and streams. Over the hill is a hectare of bare land recently cleared of weed trees, with another stream running along the far end. The long term plan is to establish a permaculture food forest, with a few small animals, but we're just getting started.
We offer a private room with a comfy double bed, food (your choice of diet), unlimited wifi, and opportunities to make music if you're so inclined.
We're close to Muriwai's famous gannet colony and challenging surf, where kite surfers ply the black sandy beaches, and Goldie Hawn and Te Henga-Bethells bush walks.
You might also enjoy finding and identifying species around the property. We have heaps of fungus (mushrooms) in addition to plants and birds. Can you find where Ruru pirches?
I can collect you from a bus stop just outside the city.
- The A-frame cottage surrounded by native forest.
- Kereru and friends in a tree out front.
- Drone selfies out in the back yard. That grass must go!
- We planted 350 new natives along the stream canyon edge. Now the fence can go in.
- Two of our previous helpers.
- You tell me! Lots of interesting things to see around here.