All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 105
Category: Non Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 16693
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: July 19, 2018
Hi helpers, travellers and yogis,
For the rest of July I am looking for someone to practice yoga with. Stay at the house with seperate bedroom and share volunteer accommodation.
Also, would suit a couple or two friends who don't mind raffing it a bit in an old house that needs renovating. and who can help with carpentry work as well as cooking and other chores and see other jobs below.
The old house is a very small house with a toilet and basin and no electricity. Some windows are missing and one whole section of a wall is missing Some volunteers have stayed there in the past, but it is not for everyone. It is only for sleeping at this time and you will share living area, kitchen etc with other volunteers.
Additional work I have is to build a chicken pen, install a rain water tank, service mowers (ride-on and push mower) and do some mowing, repair dismantleable frames (welding) and assemble for cover.
We are back hosting again! Since August 2017 I was way for 3 months trip to Europe and then have not taken on helpers due to personal reasons.
Please read carefully, as we will only host certain type of people. haha cheers and enjoy Oz!
We Olly and Ethan (11 year old son) are looking for people to share our everyday life. If you are passionate or just interested about off-grid living, and self-sustainability come and experience our farm.
Way too much for me manage and hope to get help, laughs, practice yoga, make new long term friends...
Looking for outgoing fun people, who are mature, love the outdoors, getting hands dirty, easy going, active, fit, sporty, healthy, adventurous, who can look after themselves, share everyday living with people from helping, preparing meals, organising days off, be it on the farm or trips around the area for swimming, sightseeing.
There is a minimum of 1 week trial to make sure we get on and you are enjoying your stay. Special preference to longer periods and people with any of the following experience and are willing to organise sessions, yoga, pilates, fitness or physio can earn pocket money.
At this time, four areas of help:
1) Hanging out with Ethan doing activities.
2) Help me with fitness and rehab.
3) I am moving from main house as looking to rent it out, moving furniture, etc., painting, cleaning and rearranging accommodation. Built a new chicken pen.
4) Cooking, cleaning, shopping, general house duties
5) In and for our spare time; help to decide, organise social activities like trips out, play games, walks, cards etc..
6) Clerical work, scanning documents and help with legal case.
If you decide you are interested in staying with us please answer the following questions:
1) When you could start, your minimum lentgh of stay and potential length of stay if you really are enjoying your stay?
2) What sports/activities do you play/do? See our description for sport and activities that we do, and give seperate answer for Ethan, I (Olly) and in a group activity; For example football, board games, xbox and Language teaching with Ethan and cycling, yoga, training with Olly, and swimming, walking, exploring, sight seeing etc with everyone.
3) Can you cook and experience of cooking?
4) Have you done much cleaning of houses? (This is not a requirement to come and stay - no experience needed)
5) Have you done any gardening before? (This is not a requirement to come and stay - no experience needed)
6) Have you done any handyman type jobs before? (This is not a requirement to come and stay - no experience needed)
7) Especially for single volunteers; You would like to stay with other voluteers or are ok working and being on your own for periods of time?
8) What are you keen on learning on the farm and me?
9) Do you mind living in a mixed environment sharing, accommodation, bedrooms, bathrooms? I need to know this when I accommodate females and males with the limited bedrooms. It is the same as when you stay at a backpackers mixed dorm or female dorm.
10) Why do you want to stay with us? Honesty is very important. For example, I am looking for work to earn money and need a place to stay, I love yoga, I love the sound of your place, I want to experience self sufficiency living, I want to stay somewhere quiet and private, etc., etc....
Please read on:
In regards with 1) fitness help, I am focusing on rehab for my shoulder, knee and ankle. I started yoga ( 9 months), crossfit (five 5 months) and home physio exercises. I take Ethan swimming to lake Eacham every week. So my preference would be to have volunteers that are passionate about physical and mental wellbeing, healthy eating, keen and motivated with fitness to help me with my Physical goals. We can combine, yoga, cycling in the forest, walks, swimming. I can`t go jogging, but that should not stop you. haha.
For the next three to four weeks free accommodation, even if no help is required. In this case you have to supply your own food and look after yourself, keep the place clean. prepared to share with volunteers and be part of our social life.
I like peoples company especially travellers and people who searching for change, who are open minded and want to explore our way of living. I enjoy a good discussion, watch a movie and I want to explore the area a bit more so a good time to come and help me decide where to go and what to see. I need my own space at times too and hope you will be ok with that. I have much to do with research and writing reports of one type or another. I am currently in the middle of a legal financial separation and can not be as social as I use to be and would like to be and I do not have anywhere as time to organise, explain or train people, so task will be straight forward.
More specifically different types of help as follows:
1) For weekends and holidays 1 person to hang out with Ethan 10 year old son, Someone with summer camp experience would be excellent, but anyone who loves children and organising/doing outdoor activities.
2) Painting and fixing up the house and gardening, living chores like; cleaning, preparing meals, making a shopping list, shopping, weeding and taking care of the vegie garden and gardens. Also morning duties, feed chickens, water vegies garden, stock up firewood.
3) yoga buddy ( I want to learn and practice more advance poses) or PT, physio and Pilates intructors can earn some pocket money outside normal help hours or as part of the help.
4) Must have experience in training green horses. For experience horse person. I have 4 horses that have not been handled for a long twelve months or more. 3 are broken in. One has been riden a bit, one is was broken in two years ago with little riding completed, the third was badly treated by a trainer and when taken away to further train (subsquent trainer believes the saddle had not been put on proberly and slip whilst lunging which made her freak out, a special care is needed) and the 4th is too old.
to halter horses
If you have some breaking in training skills that would be so cool.
5) Help with farm maintenance work who could help with clearing lantana, saplings, fencing, road works, mowing and sharing the cooking and cleaning.
6) NOT AVAILABLE at this time!: 2nd year visa sign-off.
We need people who are willing to dive in to our way of living, working and doing social activities together on a daily basis; organising and planning our days. You must be energetic, fun, self motivated, keen to learn, good listeners and keen to get involved (people who like to be getting on with things and not sit around waiting). At times we all need our own space and I respect that. Once here this will be your place and want you to enjoy as if it was.
All helpers must be must be clean and tidy and happy to prepare meals (light lunches, normally left overs and salads and cooked meals in the evening).
Come and make our property your home, with your own accommodation, see the same faces for a few weeks, make friends, have fun, relax and help us for a while. Be part of our weekly routine, help us and learn about the log cabin build (on hold due to personal circumstances) and life style trying to be self sufficient, go swimming and walks, play games with Ethan (our son), playing cards and have discussions with drinks on occasions.
The property is really suited for anyone who is sporty and likes to run, cycle. We have mountain bikes, exercise bike, yoga matts, weights that you can use.
Having peoples company is very much appreciated, as otherwise I`m working mainly alone. Building a good team environment to work and live together is very important for me.
Please read for more details and hope to hear from you all. Well some of you? Anybody? ha!ha!
We are lucky to have a beautiful 260 acre farm with many of the unique Australian landscapes, trees, nature and wildlife and would be greedy not to share it, so we hope for those of you that stay with us, that you enjoy our tranquil place and gain experiences and memories that stay with you for a long long time, and become long time friends.
Myself and Ethan live in North Queensland (120klm from cairns) on a 260 acre farm surrounded by State Forest. We have horses, run around 20 head of breeding cattle.
A little about us:
Just over 2 years ago Shelley (my partner) and I decided to go our separate ways.
Ethan, Is a very chatty person, funny, has a great sense of humour, is mature, polite, helpful. He loves hanging around doing things with volunteers. He asks many questions and has a keen interest in life. Watch it, he will organise what you do when hanging around together. He likes role playing. He loves going swimming and messing around at lake Eacham and likes playing football, playing uno, go fish, board games.
I don`t like it and something I disagreed with my ex and that is I let him play xbox, wii and ipad, but try to reduce it as much as possible. Having volunteers hang out with him is a good way to reduce that time.
He lived with me up until this school year started at the end of summer. I had planned to go away travelling in South East Asia and Europe so believe it would be better for him to start a new school at the beginning of the year rather then mid way through. He now spends weekends and holidays with me. Things have not work as planned, so I am going to be here until things are sorted out. I do regret that he no longer lives with me during the school days, but that is life.
I’m Olivier (Olly) I was born in Belgium English mother and Belgian Father and from the age of 10 grew up in the UK until I moved to Australia with my ex 16 years ago. Prior to moving to Australia I worked in the city of London. in Aviation Reinsurance. I have both traveled extensively and lived and worked for short periods of time in a number of different countries. Now I mainly works on the farm. Also In 2015 year I worked on a government / Private forestry funded scheme "Caring for your Country" (improving native forests on small farms - weed control and reset thinning).
I would describe myself as understanding, caring, friendly, easy going, open minded, I love to help people, both in learning new skills and with wellbeing understanding themselves. "who you want to be is you" it is about getting there. I focus on people`s qualities and reassure them. People have so many qualities that have been undermined.
I had a serious motorbike accident when I was 17 and nearly lost my leg, where for complications. I was not expected to ever walk properly or run, but managed pretty much under my own steam and over 3 to 4 years and recover quite well. I returned to play many sports, like tenis, tough rugby to a high level and both 11 and 5 a side footbal in my thirties. I managed mixed and mens touch rugby teams for a few years, started a European social club for exploring, travelling, nights out, etc. with an average of 30 members
I love to meet people from all over the world, hearing, discussing and understanding everyone`s journey.
1) To improve farm for self sufficiency and income:
b. Forestry – main interest is carbon trading
c. Self contained cottages (on hold)
Property description: We are nestled on three sides by state forest. Our farm is 105.5 hectares (260 acres) in the drier part of the Atherton Tableland. The elevation ranges from 880m to 955m above sea level. About 75 hectares is natural forest, and consist of mainly lemon scented, blue and rose gum, blood wood, northern grey box (gum top box), iron bark, river sheoak and swamp box. We have a permanent creek meandering on our property for approximately 1.3 klm with a total fall of 21 meters. We have platypus residing here. We also have a Dam on the property with small rowing boat.
We are 100% alternate power, water self sufficient which gravity feeds many areas of the farm via 3klm pipe line system, rain water collection for drinking water, wood fire, gas and solar water heating. Continuously working on passive heating improvements. I have chickens, vegetable garden, banana plants and orchard with a variety of fruit trees. I am not sure how many people could say they live with a carbon positive footprint, but I would imagine we are close to it.
Wildlife on our property:- Our property is surrounded by natural woodland (three sides of state forest approximately 2.6klm and 1klm boundary with an uninhabited and uncleared property) and the nearest house being 3klm as the crow flies, nature is abundant. To list a few: Grey kangaroos, wallabies, bettongs (night time- small kangaroo like), iguanas who steal our chicken’s eggs!, many lizards, possums, platypus, bats, owls, king fishers, kookaburras and lots of other birds.
The environment I like to live and work in: Building a good environment to live and work together is very important for me.
Before I came to Australia I loved being involved in groups and created groups to have the environment I thrived on. Within these groups I always appreciated those that took part in the organising and create the environment.
I like to have a full on week doing and organising things for the week with people. During the week days working: cleaning the accommodation, workshop, preparing meals, lunch down the creek, keeping a shopping list. Evenings: bom fires at night, star watching, , activities such as football, table tennis, badminton, volleyball, playing cards or board games, etc and planning the weekend.
E.g. You suggest where to have lunch and we’ll do it down the creek, by the dam, on the hill). Want to have bonfire tonight or another night that we arrange it together, and so on. Want to sleep a tent or shack on Saturday then we’ll do it. Participate in organising activities and it will be so much fun.
At the weekend, going out doing touristy things (taking and preparing what we need for the day lunch, shopping list bags, etc.) , swimming, shopping, pub, outdoor movies, barbecue and large fire, having drinks, walks, etc.. and so on. Basically, if you are outgoing and enthusiastic to join in the creation of your time here we can have great a fun time feeling rewarded on what we achieve together.
NOTE: NOT AVAILABLE at this time!: 2nd year visa sign-off. Possibly in the future I will offer 21 hours (2 1/2 days) per week at minimum wage. Charges will be as follows for second year visa employment: Accommodation $210 per week ($30 per night), all unprepared meals from $150.50 per week (healthy all you can eat and includes the cost of fuel for shopping), 2 x 1/2 day sightseeing trips $120 ($60 per trip). Minimum stay 8 weeks. 2 weeks voluntry trial basis to see how we get on. If you leave within the first 8 weeks the first 5 days (the trial period) will not be include in the sign-off of days.