All Year: Yes (summer is best)
Area (ha): 6
Host ID: 19028
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: October 28, 2019
*** We are not hosting much anymore, but can still use some help from time to time, so let us know what dates you are available and we will see if we can accommodate you or not ***
Most of the work will be helping around the house (cleaning, cooking) and helping looking after the kids, with some work in the gardens as well.
We have a small 6 hectare lifestyle block in Northland (4 hectares is regenerative native bush).
We are currently planting fruit trees and doing some remedial work around the property.
We are learning as much as we can about Permaculture and employing these techniques as we go with the long term goal of having a self-sustaining and organic block.
We have free foraging chickens,a goat and Bees. Eventually we would like to turn the existing pasture into a food forest.
Helper's chores can include:
- pulling weeds/gardening
- planting/pruning trees
- stacking firewood
- cleaning the house
- helping look after the children (ages 10, 12 & 13)
We have plenty to do so can accommodate most levels of skill and knowledge.
- 1 Bedroom (with bunk bed)
- Broadband/wireless internet (not the fastest or the most reliable, but Skype works ok most of the time)
- 30-40 minutes drive from a number of great beaches.
- 10 minutes drive to Hikurangi (nearest town) or 30 minutes drive to Whangarei (nearest city... albeit a small one)
- Electricity is off-grid (solar mainly) so we don't waste any power (and we don't have a TV).
- Female/s (that likes looking after children)
- Omnivore (so we don't have to prepare separate meals)
- Your own transport would be ideal (we are quite isolated and not always able to run people around). We only get into Whangarei once a week.
We are Athiests, but I enjoy studying Philosophy.
We speak English and my wife speaks some Finnish as well, but we welcome people from anywhere.
We ask for around 4 hours work a day for accommodation and meals, but are flexible on how it's worked.