All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 5
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 22687
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: July 15, 2018
We`re an English couple living in a cave that we have renovated from simple holes in the hill. We supply our energy from solar and turbine power, and our water comes from our well. We have 10 rescue dogs, 5 cats, a goat and chickens. We spend many enjoyable hours working on the garden or renovating the caves. We have carved this simple lifestyle that we love for ourselves, and we welcome you to come and share it with us.
Depending on your skills we need help with a number of jobs. From gardening, to painting a new cave room, or some minor construction work, to renovating furniture or making pallet wood furniture - the jobs are varied. Some previous and relevant experience is preferred. The property is remote but Baza town is only 10-15 minutes` drive away. The town is a good size with supermarkets, a wide range of shops, a hospital, health clubs, swimming pools, discos, bars and many restaurants. We go in to town 2 or 3 days a week and you are welcome to join us, or borrow a mountain bike to explore at your own pace.
* You are an animal lover - that goes without saying.
* You are conscientious - living off grid requires consideration, as does living with so many animals, so please respect and follow our rules when you stay.
* That you are fit and strong - this environment is not for the faint-hearted, and the work is sometimes tough. That said we`ve had several people in their 60s stay and they`ve been harder working than most, so don`t let your age stop you!
* We ask for about 25-30 hours of work a week depending on how physical the work actually is. 5 hours a day, for 6 days is a good guideline, although we are flexible.
* You should be considerate of the fact that this is our home.
* A good sense of humour is essential.
What you can expect in return:
* Your own comfortable and private cave room
* Use of our home and involvement in our family life whilst you are here
* 3 good wholesome meals a day, snacks and drinks.
* Peace and quiet to do what you want in your spare time, of which there is plenty.
* Stunning mountain views and a hiker`s/biker`s paradise.
* To learn new skills
* Definitely some new canine and feline friends, and some human ones too ;)
* A sense of satisfaction at a day well spent
Baza is the heart of the Altiplano of Granada, in the North of the Granada province where it is steeped in history, bountiful flora and fauna, and where they hold the slightly bizarre but celebrated Cascamorras International festival, along with dozens of other fiestas locally. It is a beautiful rugged area, a simple taste of real Spain.
We look forward to hearing from you and adding something different to your travels. We receive several enquiries a week but only accept one helper a month, so please do contact us to find out more about the caves and if there`s availability for you to come and stay.
(photos: 1-our family outside our cave, 2-an example of some of the tasks needing help with, 3-the caves nestled in the valley, 4-guest bedroom, 5-living area, 6-Mount Jabalcon at sunset from our roof :o) )