All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 5.25
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 22963
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: April 20, 2015
NOTE: This is for a 6+ week opportunity (no short stays). We are booked until Sept 2015.
We are a new farm in NW Indiana about a 75 minute drive from Chicago and 20 minutes to Lake Michigan and the dunes. We’re practicing organic standards and will be certified natural this year and transitioning to organic certification in 2015. We sell over 70 varieties of produce and also eggs from our hens. We sell at local farmers markets and at our onsite farmstand.
We currently utilize 2 of our 13 acres for growing crops and expanding to 3-4 next year. We have one hoop house and looking to construct another. There are currently 80 hens that live on the farm. We also have 30 meat chickens on pasture.
This opportunity is a full time position in which you'll help out on the farm 7-8 hours per day and at the farmers market. We are very interested in sustainability and small projects will arise to help us reach more efficient sustainability.
- Previous farming experience is not required; however, this position is available for those interested in sustainable agriculture or market gardening
- Ability to work in a fast paced, strenuous and dirty environment
- Comfortable working in various weather conditions
- Candidates must be flexible and have a strong work ethic
- Quick thinking and strong problem solving skills required
- Must be able to work individually and as a team
- Must be 18+ years old and hold a valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Plant propagation in the greenhouse
- Field preparation and maintenance
- Planting and cultivation
- Monitoring and tending to soil water and fertility needs
- Harvesting and processing of produce for farmers markets
- Working at the farmers markets
- Producing compost, cover cropping, crop rotations, disease and pest management
- Maintaining greenhouse and field logs
- Special projects which could include light construction, tool maintenance, water conservation projects, etc.
Everyone is responsible for making their own meals. Free food from the gardens and eggs available as needed. Bi-weekly runs to the grocery store to pick-up odds and ends.
Living quarters and amenities will be provided during the duration of your stay. Fully furnished one bedroom one bath full kitchen and is a walkout in the main house. Laundry is shared with the homeowner. Internet and cable is provided.
This is an unpaid position for the first week then $75/week for 12 weeks then $150/week going forward.
Stays usually range from 6 weeks to 7 months depending on availability. We prefer to have someone from start of season to the end of season (mid-March-mid-October). Possible year round opportunities could be available for the right candidate.
This position is available for individuals or couples without children. Pets will be determined case by case. Shared vehicles are available on days off or evenings (must have drivers license and in good standing).