All Year: Yes
Category: Accommodation Business
Host ID: 23478
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: November 10, 2019
Who are we?
We are an English Centre! A suburban network of teachers, volunteers and members of the local community. In 2012 we were a just small English club set up to exchange knowledge and teach English in Me Linh, suburban Hanoi. In 2013 a group of students expanded this idea and the Center was established. Now, younger generations here in the suburbs of Hanoi can access practical English lessons with English speaking volunteers from all over the world. We are an English center for education development in Vietnam.
We believe that education unlocks the door to greater potential and empowers people to make good decisions that lead to a brighter future for all of humankind. Therefore we aim to create an open and fair learning environment for all communities regardless of economic status. Everest provides low fees as well as some free English classes for all ages in rural areas of Hanoi. Our priority is to help students overcome their fear of speaking English and achieve their desires to be able to communicate with foreigners fluently. Thus, conversational English in the classes is our primary focus. This will help the students sharpen and refresh their speech, pronunciation and communication skills. We also strive to empower the local people of Me Linh through enabling them the opportunity of getting a good job in an English speaking environment. We believe that your contribution can fuel our mission and make a positive impact to our local community and society.
Here at the center we enjoy creating a social and multi-cultural environment for both volunteers and Vietnamese people. You can discover the wonderful Vietnamese culture and customs through home-cooked meals, traditional suburban landscapes, daily life and local festivals. Whatever your background we welcome you here at Everest, and hope that you will learn new skills through your experience of teaching in Suburban Vietnam.
Everest Center has English Teaching position available all year round. If you would like to make a meaningful contribution to help us further our mission we invite you to join our team of Volunteers from all around the world!
How it works…
- Ideally be able to commit to volunteer for 3 weeks or more
- Lead English lessons with the help of a Vietnamese teaching assistant, working with children and adults in the suburbs of Hanoi (Me Linh, Dong Anh, Soc Son district) and in Vinh Phuc province.
- Help to increase work capacity and teamwork skills for Vietnamese youth and students in community activities
- Prepare resources such as flashcards, audio clips, textbooks or handouts for you.
- Support you with teaching and translation during lessons
You can ask for guidance and ideas from other volunteers and teaching assistants, or if you are confident you can prepare plans by yourself. Your lesson plans may be shared so others can learn from your experience.
Maximum of 20 working hours/ week dependent upon the number of volunteers available at Everest Center. During the day, you will have a lot of free time allowing you to travel, explore and meet with friends in Hanoi or surrounding areas. Sometimes we schedule day trips or picnics that volunteers, staff and students can enjoy together. If you would like to travel somewhere in particular we are happy to help you arrange your trip.
Upon completing your volunteer work here we will award you with a certificate to recognize your teaching efforts.
We are located in the rural area of Hanoi where you can enjoy a peaceful environment with safe and relaxing vibes.
In exchange for your work we will provide:
- Free comfortable accommodation shared with other volunteers
- Shared bathrooms (with hot water)
- Kitchen with fridge and gas cooker
- Balcony with view of the fields and gardens - Free meals (Lunch and Dinner- delivered to the Center by the local cook). Breakfast is self-served.
- Free fast Wi-Fi
- Free coffee, tea, drinking pure water and hot water
- Free gym access
- Washing machine
- Pick you up from Noibai International Airport.
- Volunteer Certificate.
Please be aware in the winter months (December - February) it can get cold here, and there is no heating in the house.
A bit about Me Linh:
- There is a stadium close by where you can partake in sporting activities such as football, volleyball and running. Sometimes, there are some traditional festivals for the community to enjoy.
- There are nearby markets and supermarkets where you can buy fresh produce and daily essentials. Also there are many food stands and shops where you can try different types of local food.
- We are a short drive from the airport and a short walk to the bus station (bus 07,56,58,64) which makes it easy to travel to Hanoi center and other interesting areas around the city. In addition, you can drive a motorbike to Hanoi center in just 30 minutes.
- Volunteers are often invited to visit local families for drinks and food to learn about traditional culture.
- You can drink beer, play pool and sing karaoke in one of the many local bars.