All Year: Mid-April - September
Area (ha): 22
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 28723
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: May 1, 2019
We are a young Estonian-Canadian family (Iisak, Maris and our son Jaako) running a small scale organic goat farm. We live in an old farm property in the Deep South of Estonia, surrounded by forests which we share with deer, moose, wild boar, foxes and endless species of birds. We also live in an area where the ancient Seto Culture is still very much alive.
We are experimenting with permaculture and are striving to be as self-sufficient as possible. We work lots with the other young awesome families in the nearby village. We ourselves enjoy fresh eggs from our chickens, fruit and veggies from our organic garden, milk, cheese and other tasty treats from our organic milking goats and awesome rides in the forest on our Estonian horse, Kalver.
As our tiny cabin (restored with the help of volunteers) has barely enough space for the 3 of us, accommodation is in a tent or in the hay loft of the stable with the swallows. We eat and cook communally and socialize in our converted barn. Washing is in our greenhouse sauna (i.e no shower) :)
During your free time, we have bicycles for exploring the forests (including Mustoja, a protected area just 2km away), visiting lakes, caves and other swimming holes, and instruments for playing (guitar, djembe, ukelele, kannel (the Estonian national instrument) kalimba, clarinet and more). We are also rather social so you can expect to meet some of our friends while you are here too.
We have both had extensive wwoofing/helpex experience ourselves here in Estonia, in Canada, Iceland, Ecuador & Australia and are looking for ~5hrs work/day 5days/week in exchange for meals and accommodation.
We are looking for people as early as April, 2018 to:
help with GOATS
- help with the 40 or so baby goats who will be arriving in March/April
- milk and feed their 22 mothers
- complete fencing for our ever-expanding pasture land
- help make yogurt, cheese and other goat milk products.
help with BUILDING
- help with renovations of our old stone stable - people with previous experience in building are especially welcome!
- build a small shelter for our horse and baby goats
- fix the roof of our wood shed
- rework the chicken koop
help with the GARDEN and FOOD
- tend (planting, weeding, harvesting) to our organic vegetable garden
- gather wild foods (berries, mushrooms, herbs for tea and medicine)
- help with yard work (mowing, trimming etc.)
- help with brush cutting, chopping firewood, and so on
- but most of all, enjoy themselves and their time here!
In addition to shorter stays, we are now looking for a long term volunteer (or a couple) to come stay with us for a period of 2-6 months (starting from mid-April at the earliest).