All Year: yes
Area (ha): 0.55
Host ID: 29830
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: August 16, 2018
OUR PROJECT = Rehabilitation of a old stone farmhouse in the forest/ working on our vegetable garden & creating water bassins
As a family we started to change our life style to a more responsible one ( re-use of materials, less waste, vegetarian food). We are learning continuously and like to share experiences and pass a message to our kids.
We are converting a small (abandoned for over 60 yrs) farmhouse into a sustainable living accommodation. We love to share our experience with people who would like to share their experiences with us in return.
Some of our kids are regularly wooffing in other parts of the world.
We live in the South of France between Provence and Ardèche area at the border of the "Cevennes" mountains/natural park area. A beautiful natural environment, but not isolated. We have two little goats, cats and chicken and a friendly dog called 'Noek'. There is lively family atmosphere with kids from 11 to 23 years old. Mixed culture (Dutch, French) and we all speak English.
Inge has her atelier/little shop in the nearby village where she designs and create vintage style clothing and home decor, partly created with reclaimed fabrics .
A small 'family business': Our daughters are model for the photos we take of new clothing collections and they also make jewelry and objects from reclaimed materials. All photos are taken in the surroundings of our house ( http://www.ingedejonge.com ).
1. Photo’s of the project and tips for things to do and see in the surroundings you find online here : http://i4384.wix.com/cevennes-gagnieres
2. An article about our project in the Guardian was published in 2016: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/mar/27/wwoofing-volunteer-the-ardeche-france-holidays
- Main meals are shared with the family, or you can make your own. Our vegetarian meals are as much as possible prepared with the plants we grow in our garden or from the local market.
- Our vegetable garden lies on a sunny terrace where we just installed a poly tunnel, and a water collecting system. The water supply comes from our roofs and an old well in the forest.
- Accommodation for volunteers is in a camping-car or spacious bell tent and there is space for camping on the land.
- Public transportation available (you'll find a bus stop at a 5 minutes walk from our house). Mountain bikes are available to explore the surroundings.
At our place you can gain skills in organic gardening, construction, approving your French, working with reclaimed fabrics and/or learn to make nice vegetarian meals. We have made a dry toilet and are collecting rain water for our garden and created our plant filtering system for grey water.
At the moment we are working on: Repairing old shutters, painting wood walls, preparing vegetable garden, creating the solar/wood-burning water heating system, , wood cutting in the forest etc.
and Inge can always use help in her workshop where she creates home decor and clothing with reclaimed materials.
All help is welcome!
If you have skills in eco-construction, gardening and/or carpentry you could help to move the project on.
See you soon in the South of France
Jan & Inge