Bass Coast Shire
All Year: August to May
Area (ha): 0.15
Persons: 1 couple/1 person
Host ID: 33302
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: June 18, 2018
Hello to couples, and mature men
We have hosted many women this year, we now seek to host some men, with or without a partner. One male with a spouse of any kind - is ideal (We have a double futon bed in room with view).
[The nature of the help we need now probably suits men more than women, BUT prove me wrong ! if you are a fit woman with tools experience, please apply.]
- Start July - TWO WEEK minimum stay - longer stay is possible.
** Advice for travellers who have never been to Australia / NZ : Working English can be a challenge to learn - so, before working/volunteering it is best you become a 'tourist' in Australia for two weeks to improve your communication skills **
- Our place provides holiday / micro-retreat experience in a homestay 'microfarm' on holiday coast town of Inverloch. Please use links ABOVE and read below, to understand more of what we do at ISLL. Thankyou!
- At ISLL you can gain insights into ecological design, adaptive carpentry, permaculture design, yoga practices and more.
- Note : Two weeks minimum stay.
- Your spacious timber room has: comfy double bed : a view overlooking trees; reading light; clothes hanging space; your own stairs. Maybe can accommodate two mature friends who can sleep in same room, esp. if one person can drive and is over 25 yrs old (for car insurance)
Available for helpers:
- Bike (maybe two bikes)
- Clothes and shoes.
- Wetsuits. Surfboard from Town Library
[ Nearby Town library has wifi internet access, or Dom can make a phone hotspot ]
- Dom's library focused on sustainable home and community living, as well as health and personal health and develpment (yoga, diet)
- Sewing gear
- Gear for beach golf & beach bowls
- Fresh foods from our garden/trees - as available
> Preference is given to people who:
- Know the purpose of HelpX/WWOOF programs and volunteering :
[What are your learning goals ? ]
- Are already in Australia (unless you have been in Australia before)
- Have a solid profile of your own including photos; provide a reference of some kind - like HelpX , WWOOF, or paid workplace reference)
- Can commit to staying two weeks,or more . [ This is for your benefit as well as ours - it takes time to learn necessary routines, and special skills / use of tools - like for wood-work, tree work]
- Have vehicle driving experience
- Are not vegan or have multiple food intolerances - sorry.
What we need help with:
> Harvesting from gardens / making salads, cooking; doing guest linen washing/drying/folding; making up guest rooms. (Training provided for those committed to two weeks or more)
> Assist with carpentry / tree work / current projects, take photographs (got a good camera?)
> There are a range of interesting projects underway . . upgrading the North pond; completing the composting toilet; ceramic tile laying; working with trees in food forest; getting ready for Winter; carpentry.
(Training provided for those committed to two weeks or more)
> We have a comfortable Earth and timber home and urban retreat on the edge of a coastal town on Bass Coast, 140km from Melbourne, one hour from Wilsons Prom. Also right next to a Marine National Park and other reserves.
- Whilst September to May are our usual HelpX months, June to August is possible.
- Minimum of two weeks is normal.
3 or 4 weeks is possible.
>> 6 hrs/day for 5 days/week is how we roll.
> Preference is given to mature couples where one person has international drivers license and both have detailed WWOOFER or HelpX profile (OR a Resumé) - Photos essential - Facebook profiles are usually not enough on their own.
- Walking distance to both quiet and surf beaches, wetland reserves, the Bunurong Marine National Park.
Close to Wilson's Prom. National Park, and other National parks, weekend markets, music events.
- Please view our photos (all web links above) the reviews and educational posts at our facebook page .
- Please provide a phone number so we can speak on phone, if you are not comfortable about speaking on phone (still learning English ) don't worry it is still a useful exercise.
- Seeking people who are NOT addicted to being on the internet / smoking tobacco / drinking alcohol / believing that self-interest is always "fine" ( Randians, Libertarians, etc)
ROLES (most common)
- Renovation assistant = house-painting, carpentry, paving, tiling.
- Gardening - remaking garden beds; pruning trees, preparing firewood
- Revising signage & visitors manual (photography / writing - a high level of English and another language is needed for this task)
- Mending (repairing/sharpening) - a wide range of items (glueing, screwing, darning / sewing machine)
FIVE DAYS A WEEK - AN IDEAL DAILY SCHEDULE (Sometimes it happens !)
7 00 AM to 8 AM - surf / yoga / walk / swim / cycle
8 00 AM - Make / eat breakfast (Cleanup)
8 30 AM to 10 30 AM - Morning Session
10 30 AM -10 45 - Drink-Snack break
10 45 - 12 45 PM - Mid - day session
12 45 PM - 1 15 PM - Lunch
1 15 - 3 15 - Arvo Session
3 15 is approx finish time might be 2 30 or 3 30 depends on when we start / weather
> Do your own thing before breakfast
> Do your own thing after 3 15 PM - beaches / walk / swim / explore area use house library / town library/ Bunurong Environment Centre / tourist info centre.
> IF Helpers can do 6 full hours help per day then you have the whole weekend to yourself - make food to take for a bigger explorations of our region.
> Group meal preparation is included in six hours per day schedule
and we all have one full day to roam / explore the coast or mountains, or go (to Melbourne) for Kirtan with Dom.
- for urgent web access, hotspot wireless is available from your Host's mobile phone
- reliable wireless internet is free at our town library, six days a week.
- Our place is a NO cigarette place = no tobacco smoking
- We drink alcoholic drinks in moderation.
- Place is at final stages renovations of buildings and gardens .
- Melbourne and South Gippsland are highly regarded for quality and diversity in many of the fine arts and in quality local and Organic foods (and Inverloch has two places to for excellent coffee, hand-made ice cream and much more)
- Many excellent weekend community markets in Inverloch area (local produce)
- As you see in photos, you can cycle / walk to close flat beaches / patrolled surf beach / town inlet beach / local parks ... whole estuary is open for windsurfing, kite-surfing, paddle-boarding, canoeing - walk to nearby urban orchard with cafe / beach yoga sessions with Dom G or other town teacher / local bush-walking / town exploring / wildlife everywhere.
- Access to library focused on Permaculture design and practices / sustainable living / healthy mind and body - books / magazines / CD's / animals / yoga and self-development; try a new recipe with herbs/greens from our gardens; practice your English with me or local people.
- is committed to practical design & management methods that build Natural and social capital, leading to community, household and personal sustainability.
- is called 'Inverloch Sustainable Living and Learning' and is a family friendly urban cul-de-sac in a court near edge of beautiful town
- has beaches in walking distance, warm in Winter/cool in Summer (no fossil fuels burnt to achieve this) ; lots of clean air, trees and wildlife; is an ideal place to get deeper insights into sustainable living
- We define sustainable living as:
conscious design, creation and management methods to fullfil needs of present and future generations > using safe Natural energy and safe materials > three-generations and multi-ethnic inclusiveness >home produced food and fuel, healthy eating habits - ie: less meat, more nuts, eggs, tahini, beans; fresh and preserved vegies, nuts, and soft fruits grown biologically (no industrial poisons )
; reducing desire for self-damaging and enviro damaging habits
; less packaging = re-using / recycling containers
; responsible choices in transport [we used commercial soy-diesel in the diesel wagon until the Sept-October 2015 rise in Federal excise killed access to biodiesel] bicycles; walking anywhere (will get you somewhere)
awareness of the effects of our own actions , and awareness of the thoughts that pre-cede these actions
living within Nature's means - eg using energy and water captured at the home;
a conscious use of our own own bodies (less strain & pain)
; conscious use of resources (opposite of "the throw-away society" )
; using Yoga / swimming / TaiChi type practices to stay well (and warm) in body and mind (rather than relying on Osteopath or Chiropractor )
- Assisting Dom with carpentry / paving/ painting (he will teach you what you need to know)
- Help is needed with driving sometimes
- Assist preparation for accommodation guests
- Improve your English and learn Australian lingo
- Amazing water sports available - estuary & beaches all walking distance (or use bike)
- our street basketball court, bikes, bowling balls, golf clubs, surfboards available at town Library for free hire
- other beach water activities - like stand-up paddle boarding - can be booked at Info Centre in Inverloch
PLAN AHEAD: if you plan ahead two weeks or more - it works out better for everyone :-)
- Dominic (myself) is a qualified educator for children with a two decades of experience in design and application of ecologically sustainable home and business > environmental design (site design) / green building design & construction / sustainable product design and local scale manufacturing.
We eat well and we always have fresh greens and other foods to harvest straight from garden.
Our fresh foods come from mostly from our gardens / weekend local farmers markets /a nearby urban farm
Exchanging ways of cooking/preserving and language, is a strong part of our place.
2018 - WINTER CARETAKER POSITION OPEN - 2018
Winter Caretakers are selected on the following :
- Couples or independent individuals > 25 yrs old.
- References required (University, Previous Volunteer or Paid position, HelpX references)
- Minimum four weeks stay.
- Caretakers do less hours per day than other times of year, BUT take more responsibility than other Helpers - e.g. 2-3 hrs per day of tasks, use some house foods plus supply yr own.
- Dominic or a neighbour will 'show you the ropes' and there is a Caretakers guidebook to read.
- There may be some paying guests to attend to (though not many) - use prepare rooms/make up room for next people.
- There will be some gardening, perhaps some painting.
- Caretakers have excellent communication skills and can judge who to get help from if they need it (the other owners/neighbours / myself) and can resolve issues as they arise (e.g. unblocking rain pipes or removing faulty electrical item and turning power back on after a switch is tripped) and prepare for any coming storms (check roof gutters and down-pipes for blockages, tie up plants, etc.)
Preference given to couples over 25 yrs old.
Big tips for travellers still outside Australia and never been here:
1. Pack as little as possible - two bags at most, 1 backpack or suitcase + 1 small-ish bag for on-board plane.
AVOID BRINGING HUGE SIZE BODY PRODUCTS - too heavy. Clothes are easy to find here - lots of cheap clothes in "Opportunity Shops" and shop sales; or borrow from Hosts.
2. Spend first two or three weeks exploring Australia and improving your English and Australian expressions.
3. The do volunteering / search for paid work