All Year: Now!
Area (ha): 0.0825
Persons: 1 or 2
Host ID: 33644
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: September 13, 2018
**Current project** We are looking for a couple or single person to help with general gardening and spring cleaning and helping to replace our wardrobe. Possibly occasional childcare too, but depends on whether Bea likes you ;) - basically, we need to rip out our old wardrobe to make way for a new one and we either need someone to help do it, or to mind Bea while we do it :) plus spring cleaning, gardening etc.
About us: We are a British couple with a toddler and we’ve been in New Zealand for 7 years. Our daughter, Beatrix, is 2 years old and enjoys running around, climbing on everything, going to music sessions with her buddies, chatting away and charming new people.
Our interests are: travelling, biking, hiking, skiing, board games, surfing (Paddy), sewing / dressmaking (Cam), yoga (Cam).
Our house is in Cashmere, Christchurch. We have a beautiful, friendly cat called Bertie. The house has 4 bedrooms and a lovely garden with two decks, perfect for summer BBQs. We’re about 20mins from the city centre, 10mins from the beach and only 5mins from excellent walking and mountain bike tracks in the Port Hills. There is public transport nearby (bus).
Paddy works full time (Mon - Fri) and Cam works part time.
Our evenings, particularly when Cam is working, can be pretty full on with baby wrangling! So we do expect you to help out please - washing up is usually a helper job! But when Bea's gone to bed we do enjoy a board game and a chat. We like to hang out with our helpers, but we won't be able to include you in everything.
The job: Mostly helping us maintain the garden, with other possible odd jobs (cutting wood, fruit picking, fixing something etc) or projects. And general helping around the house.
Current work project stated above.
What we want from you: about 3 hours per day of help. We will go through a plan with you so you know exactly what to do if we're not there, and one of us will be helping when we can. We would prefer you to stay for about a week. Longer can be negotiated if we have enough work for you.
• Skills we’re looking for: any knowledge of gardening and plants would be useful, or experience with childcare or manual labour. You need to be fit and not mind getting your hands dirty! If you have other useful skills, please let us know.
What you get from us: free rent in a great location in Christchurch!
• Your own room (per single / couple) with a double bed and built-in wardrobe.
• Shared use of the rest of the house, including bathroom, kitchen and BBQ, laundry, TV, board games.
• Free internet (within reason - we have a data cap).
• 1 cooked meal per day – usually evening. Please note we can accommodate vegetarian, but if you have any other diet restrictions / requirements (eg. Vegan, gluten free) we’ll need to negotiate this as our cooking repertoire isn’t that broad.
• We will also include you in any activities we have planned if you like, and we can help you plan the rest of your trip around New Zealand (we've been to most of it now). We have a small library of books on NZ to help you too!
Who we're looking for: Friendly, trustworthy people who love children and animals! Our focus is on the homestay aspect of Helpx, as you will be staying in our home. Therefore we love hosting people who are keen to hang out with us, play some board games (we'll teach you!), tell us stories of your travels, maybe go for a walk, share some recipes from your home.
Non-smokers only and you must have all your vaccinations up to date.
When you contact us, please tell us the following things: when you would arrive, how long you would like to stay, how you will arrive (bus, plane, own car), any experience you have, and any dietary requirements. We'd also like to know (because we're nosy): how long you've been travelling, how much of that is in NZ, what made you contact us, and whether you have a cat at home.