All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 1.2
Host ID: 34247
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: July 19, 2018
We, Rene and Julie, are an active married couple offering a beautiful, tranquil and spacious homestay with high ethical standards to like-minded folks that complement our vision and offer us assistance on a range of projects in exchange for food/drinks and lodging in quality surrounds with exceptionally rich wildlife.
I, Rene, am an Architect, Photographer and Traveller at heart. I am originally from Switzerland. Julie is a dedicated and busy Chef, originally from the Philippines. We are married for 34 years and have lived in Australia for over 25 years, the past 8+ years at our current home.
Updating our listing as of 17 July 2018:
> WORK / DUTIES / HELPERS REQUIRED
We are currently looking for people that can assist us in the following projects:
> MAIN PROJECT: We are in the final process of transforming/beautifying/landscaping our amazing 12,000sqm elevated 'Paradise Gardens' bush property and that journey has progressed wonderfully since we started in January 2017.
Since we wish to complete this current project ASAP, eg no later than October 2018, we have temporarily increased the number of Helpers to up to 10 plus added accom in quality tents.
By joining us, you will gain valuable know-how in general landscaping work, sandstone terracing, gardening, and much more. You need to be physically fit and prepared for manual labour.
As there are other HelpXers here during your stay, you will be able to get to know, network plus exchange experiences and know-how with other travellers. We normally have a happy & great bunch of people here with us.
Working with us may well build a stepping stone towards paid labour (with appropriate visa), as we do assist suitable HelpXers gaining jobs in multiple ways, incl referencing.
> SECONDARY PROJECTS: As we find time and talents, as such not a high priority atm:
- Social media and general marketing: Seeking professionals assisting us to efficiently use social media and general marketing to promote our enterprises
- Drones: Experts in piloting drones
- Photo and Video editing professionals.
> General housekeeping and cooking: Your participation in these fields is encouraged and appreciated.
Note: we normally assign people to tasks that are best suited to them and in that there is work for singles as well as couples.
> ACCOMMODATION and WORK EXCHANGE
A1and2) We have two beautiful guest rooms with queen size beds (slightly larger than doubles). They exchange for 21hrs/pw/pp for couples and 25hrs/pw/pp for singles, eg only one person in the room, unless we waive the single supplement, likely to be done when we are not too busy (Nov – March).
B1) We have a comfortable backup downstairs in the extra-large 70sqm garage featuring a queen size bed. Exchange: 18hrs/pw/pp for couples and 21hrs/pw/pp for singles if using the downstairs room unless we waive the single supplement, likely to be done when we are not too busy (Nov – March).
C1 and 2) We have two fully set up and equipped comfortable and permanent tent options:
- The ‘Dual Dome’ is a triple chamber dome tent with 2 bedrooms plus a 6x3m gazebo, covering an outdoor living area, also featuring a campfire site. We provide everything: mattresses, beddings, power, internet.
Exchange: 15hrs/pw/pp for couples and 18hrs/pw/pp for singles unless we waive the single supplement, likely to be done when we are not too busy (Nov – March).
- The brand new ‘Dune’. A $1000 top of the range dual chamber tent that also features a3x3m gazebo, covering an outdoor living area.
We provide everything: mattresses, beddings, power, internet.
Exchange: 18hrs/pw/pp for couples and 21hrs/pw/pp for singles unless we waive the single supplement, likely to be done when we are not too busy (Nov – March).
The tent options of course also include access to the house for use of common areas, kitchen/dining plus shower/toilet.
Pls indicate if there is a type of accom that you find unsuitable for yourself.
Pls note that we hardly ever plan to have more than 6 helpers with us, unless work requirements demand us to do so.
April till October are ideal months for landscaping work, as such, it is our busiest time as we wish to make the best of it.
> ETHICS, STANDARDS and OTHER INFO:
- We appreciate and respect your private space as we appreciate you will honour ours.
- We appreciate mature, well-mannered, honest, clean and orderly people that are used to living in shared living arrangements. We are non-smokers and would appreciate anyone staying with us to be the same. We can cater for both, Vegetarians and Non-Vegetarians.
- We try to be flexible whenever possible of how the exchange work hours per week are structured, allowing you to plan your own stay sensibly.
- As this is a very quiet area (beyond the sounds of the wildlife), we have a 9pm lock-down arrangement that can be extended on weekends or special occasions.
- We do offer regular sightseeing trips to local and regional highlights for those that stay with us as an added bonus as well as to balance work and pleasure.
- All photos on this profile are taken at our truly wonderful abode.
- We also have a long past owning and running Restaurants and Resorts, plus owning and managing Holiday Let`s. As such, we are used being around guests and visitors.
- We are located in an elevated and forested area of the southern Gold Coast with close proximity to all amenities such as beaches, shopping centres, plus even an international airport (Gold Coast) etc.
- If you don’t have your own transport, we will make arrangements for drop-offs and pick-ups.
- We have excellent unlimited cable internet access at our home, being distributed within the premises via WIFI.
- We can assist you in purchasing a car, surfboard, et all… finding paid jobs, et all.
Thanking you and looking forward to hearing from you!
Rene and Julie Thalmann