All Year: Yes
Persons: 4 to 6
Host ID: 47141
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: August 25, 2019
Would you like to experience the life on Naoshima Art Island? Are you passionate about cultural exchange? Would you like to help me realize the goal of creating a cultural culinary centre, a warm and friendly place for passengers to have a bite or drink, to show kimonos, pottery, masks, to grow vegetables in the garden, to make homemade shisojuice?
Hello, my name is Iwao and I come from Shodoshima island, one of the seven islands of the inland sea. I have long been organizing international cultural exchange programmes, where young people in particular were able to learn about different cultures and traditions. I have always many ideas to realize : eco village, cultural presentations, cooking classes..... However, all is a complex process which asks for motivated and hard – working people.
At the moment, most of my attention goes to my little restaurant and an art flea market. The final goal is to organize evening cultural activities, for which facilities need to be created. Therefore, I am looking for workers willing to work in a restaurant, as well as workers with carpentery and building skills. Although I am creative, still it is a professional environment asking for people willing to provide hard work.
- I am looking for volunteers who are able to stay for a minimum of 2 weeks.
- In July and August is busy season for the Café, so up to 5 - 6 people are welcome to help with kitchen duties and general tasks at the restaurant.
- Please confirm dates within a week so that scheduling can be done quickly.
- Vegans are very hard to cater for on this island since every dish is based on dashi (this contains fish stock). For that reason I can not accept vegans as volunteers. Vegetarians and pescatarians (people who eat fish) are ok but please inform me. In busy days we may ask you to prepare your own food.
- I will not accept anyone who did not include a profile photo of themselves.
Please check the website before applying,
and when doing so please be clear on the date you will like to start your volunteering and when you would like to end it.
Example of a message -
Country of origin:
Few lines about yourself:
Due to many applications I will try my best to answer all of you, the clearer the message the easier it will be for me to reply and accommodate you.
I ask you to work 6 hours a day in exchange for 3 meals and sleeping accommodation. One day off each week.Your arrival can be on any day except on Mondays.