All Year: Yes when projects require
Area (ha): 24 + share-farm nextdoor
Persons: 1 or a couple
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 83565
Region: Western Australia
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: September 18, 2018
SEPTEMBER 2018 LOOKING FOR:
* HANDYMAN FOR ODD JOBS eg BUILDING YARD FENCE
* EXPERIENCED FEMALE CHILD-MINDER TO PROVIDE FUN AFTERNOON CARE FOR OUR BABY WHO IS 1 YEAR OLD. WE WILL BE AROUND.
We`d like to welcome you to our new regenerative farm, located an easy 15 minute drive from Margaret River town.
Our happy family includes 3 kids (12, 10 and 1), a mellow dog, a noisy sheep and pet poultry. We lead a busy but simple life along permaculture principles and enjoy the serenity of our stunning sunsets and evening frog chorus. We have lots of wildlife, great star-gazing and a dam for swimming.
The aim of our life/business/home/farm (it`s all the same thing to us!) is to revive healthy connections between country, animals and community. Our organic farm generates our family`s income with open-range pastured hens for eggs and high-welfare beef cattle that are moved daily using Holistic Management methods. We also run courses in sustainabililty and biological farming.
Ideally you`ll have your own car to have the freedom to explore and make the most of your experience! Reasons we love living here include clean beaches, tranquil rivers, majestic forests, awesome surf, walking tracks, mountain bike trails, incredible caves and of course the world-class wineries, breweries and restaurants on our doorstep. And we will gladly introduce you to our fabulous vibrant local community with a variety of art, wellness and music happenings.
What we can offer you:
* basic accommodation in a caravan (or BYO van) with shared facilities.
* simple healthy wholefoods on a shared and self-catering basis (ethically sourced mixed diet).
* knowledge exchange - we are happy to share our learnings and experience with you and will include you in any courses we are running at the time of your stay.
* our farm has full Telstra mobile signal so you can buy pay-as-you-go mobile data for your phone & internet (we find the best deals are with Boost, who sell sim cards for $2).
* if you don't have a car, we'll help you with lifts where possible, but we cannot always be available as a taxi service! There are other families living on our farm though, so there's often someone going into town!
* initial stay 1 week, longer stays negotiable.
What we ask in return:
* 4 hours work each day (flexible on time of work if you`d prefer days off)
* we look forward to hosting reliable, open-minded, enthusiastic and healthy non-smokers. We relish cultural exchange and love to try making food from your country! For your own safety, good English language skills are important.
Farming, trades or childcare skills are appreciated. Activities vary according to your skills and the season. Projects may include: construction, landscaping, tree planting, vege gardening, animal feeding, egg collecting, compost making, revegetation of creek, general farm maintenance, chopping wood, painting, baby entertaining, harvesting / processing food (including meat), house cleaning and maintenance.
You`re welcome to check us out on Facebook / Instagram `Margaret River Organic Farmer` to see more about us. Although we`re new to HelpX, Lawson has years of experience as a WWOOF & Couch Surfing host and Laura has spent a couple of years travelling as a WWOOFer so can appreciate the experience from your point of view!
Here`s what our helper Andrea from Germany said about us in 2017: `I`ve stayed with Laura, Lawson and their marvellous two kids (back then it were just two) for about 8 weeks. I had such an amazing time. I`ve found a side of myself that I haven`t explored yet on that little family farm business. If you are interested in organic and healthy lifestyle, this is the right place to be for you. Explore new interests, overstep some of your own borders even though you didn`t know they existed until you reach them.
I always felt welcome and like a part of the family. The food is amazing, I got to cook for the family too, which really was fun (little tip: Lawson will be thankful forever if you make a good lasagna)
The work I had to do was diversified and adventurous. Here some examples: Delivering Eggs all along the coast, collecting eggs in the Chucktruck, bottlefeeding the little baby calf, Preparing the babys room, picking up the kids from school, building a creative wood herbshelf, building shelters for the chicks and their food, preparing food for the chicks and feeding them.
Beyond the responsibilities on the farm of course I had time for myself if i wanted. Easily got some days off. I slept in the caravan, which was really nice and gave me the space and privacy I needed.
I`m really thankful for the time and the experiences Laura and Lawson gave me and hope that I`ll able to visit in the distant future.
So donít wait to text them, you will miss something great!
We look forward to hearing from you, please ask us any questions... and in the meantime wish you happy travels!