All Year: yes
Persons: 1 to 2
Host ID: 13347
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: October 6, 2019
UPDATE October 2019: We are currently full and will not be taking helpers until further notice - most likely until 2020. Thank you
We currently require only one helper, but we will accept couples if you are willing to cover the costs of food and utilities for one person during your stay - $100 per week.
WHAT WE OFFER YOU:
• Own room in a beautiful house 12 minutes from the Melbourne CBD / central Melbourne and 15 mins from the beach by train (we live opposite the train station) and less than ten minutes’ walk from Yarraville shops, including the famous Sun cinema.
• Mostly organic food – includes all meals and snacks except ‘special treats’ and alcohol – however, if we are having a beer or a wine, we always share. We’ll pay for the food, but you’ll prepare a lot of it as part of your hours.
• Electricity, gas, water, unlimited internet, Netflix.
* be part of our family and discover Melbourne from a resident`s perspective
WHAT WE ASK OF YOU:
• At least two weeks` notice before you leave (preferably four weeks)
* An open and positive attitude
• Around 20- 25 hours of light work over the week per person. Much of the work would be things you would do as part of living in your own house anyway. Duties comprise:
o Preparing dinner Monday-Thursday (4-6 hrs pw)
o Cleaning house (5-6 hrs pw)
o Picking our younger son from school ONE day per week and look after them (1.5 hrs pw)
o Dishes, emptying bins, wiping benches and sweeping Monday-Thursday (2-3hrs pw)
o Extra jobs as needed, for example: ironing, making yoghurt, bread, pasta, freezer meals and cakes/slices for school lunches or babysitting (you won`t be asked to do all these jobs every week, just the ones that are needed and only within the hours we have agreed beforehand)
Whilst we have preferred days of the week for many of these jobs, there is some flexibility to accommodate other commitments you may have, such as study or work
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT US:
We are a family of four (Joel, Katerina, Mischa and Jasper), but we also live with a friend (Mitch) and his girlfriend, Kim often stays with her dog, Lola.
We have a very fluid household. People often drop in and we’ll invite them for dinner and we sometimes have other commitments, so whilst there is almost always somebody home, it is always a bit of a surprise how many people we will be at any one time, including at dinner time.
Joel owns his own building company, Katerina is CEO of a start-up not-for-profit that raises public awareness about climate change. Mischa is 15 and Jasper 10. They both go to school. Mitch is a jack of all trades. We have two dogs, Soot and Ruidy.
Katerina, Jasper and Kim are vegetarian, so we do not prepare much meat. If you can’t live without meat, this is NOT the house for you. Vegetarians are welcome. We don’t smoke, but Mitch does – he only smokes outside.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking for someone who will enjoy sharing meals with us, chatting by the outside fire sometimes, or playing card games with the kids, not because these are ‘duties’, but because you enjoy being part of our family.
We are looking for someone who respects our values and will do their best to live by those values too (without being puritanical about it). In general, we try to live a life that is healthy and minimises our impact on the planet whilst contributing as much as we can to the betterment of society.
We would prefer a non-smoker, but as long as you don’t smoke inside or in front of the kids, it’s really none of our business.
We want someone willing to learn and try new ways of doing things, but who is also able to take initiative when needed; someone systematic and organised, with an eye for detail, who takes pride in their work and takes the same care in keeping our home as we do, but who is also flexible and tolerant of our busy lives and fluid household.
If this sounds right for you, we`d love to hear from you!
Thank you so much.
Left to right top row -
* Mitch and Kim,
* Our house from the front,
* Kim and Jasper
Left to right bottom row -
* Our house from the back,
* Joel with the three dogs:
* Soot, Lola and Ruidy;
*Joel, Mischa and Katerina