All Year: Yes
Host ID: 17431
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: September 11, 2019
HELP OUT AT THE MOST COMFY INDEPENDENT MOVIE THEATER IN PHNOM PENH.
Are you available for a minimum of 2 weeks? Great! We'd love it if you can stay longer :-)
(Sorry, we don't recommend contacting us if you are available for less than 2 weeks)
(Please know we do not accept applications for over 2 months from now (as most volunteers that we scheduled in very far ahead mostly end up in last-minute cancellations, making us go boo-ho).)
Now let's introduce you to the fun stuff!
Our community movie theater in Phnom Penh is where local expatriates and visiting tourists escape from the bustling city, the heat or rain and to enjoy the blockbusters, film festival winners and documentaries on the big screen with air conditioned awesomeness. While sitting on comfy rattan sofas or lying on comfy cushions.
The movie venue is like movie theaters from the old-era, where it's about the customer's experience and the love for good cinema and the community feeling that comes with that.
This little movie theater is fully volunteer-run and need your help with the daily running of opening and closing, tickets, popcorn and drinks sales and starting the movies.
The movie theater (we shall not mention its name here) is a very popular, comfy setup with an air conditioned bar, outside terrace in an original Cambodian villa in the residential area of Tuol Sleng/BKK3. Its movie room seats 32 people.
The full staff of the movie theater consist of volunteers from all over the world and is managed by Ramon (originating from The Netherlands) and his 6 cats.
MINIMUM AGE: 21 - no exceptions
We need help with the theater. Are you in for:
- Helping with guests, create atmosphere, sell movie tickets, make popcorn,
- Making sure everybody feels welcome, comfortable and is having a good time
- Keeping the venues organized (the necessity of hygiene in this workplace is unquestionable)
- Watching a lot of movies and meeting many people!
In return for your help we can offer you:
- private fan rooms in the 4-bedroom volunteers apartment below movie theaters location 1, where a minimum of 3 volunteers (couples can share the beds) can stay;
- an amazing shared modern kitchen(!), shared bathroom and wi-fi;
- an awesome pool of other volunteers from all over the world, sorry no swimming pool
- free bicycles to get around town (please reconsider this job if you can NOT cycle a bike)
- free drinks, as long as you don't drink a full tray of beer per day
- flexible volunteering times (weekdays we open from 3pm until 11ish, on weekends the one location runs kids sessions from 10am - but it's never about running the bar non-stop!)
What we ask from you in return:
- an awesome, confident, sparkling, SOCIAL and open-minded personality with a sense of HUMOR and great appearance (it's a representative volunteer position!). We are here for the community so making connections should be fun.
- a PHOTO on your profile (it's representative volunteer position, right?)
- If you are very SHY, not good in speaking English or just scared to talk to people in general, this is NOT your volunteer position.
- you can make people HAPPY (not just by being present behind a bar but know how special a real conversation can be, break the ice, tell a joke, smile).
- a PERFECT level of English (customers are mostly foreign expatriates and tourists)
- AVAILABILITY for a minimum of 3 weeks >>> so let us know your available dates in your application
Please DO NOT APPLY if:
- you can't ride a bicycle;
- you prefer to party every night and sleep in until late afternoon (no fun to share a house with);
- if you are easily bored and don't know what to do in between movies...;
- if you enjoy using drugs (any drugs);
- if you are financially broke and homeless and just need a place to stay ("wow, free beer!").
In any of these cases a volunteer is not considerate to others and will not be supporting the business.
For many residents of Phnom Penh going to the movie theaters is a necessary escape from the dusty city and the work they perform. With intelligence, culture and societal happiness diminished due to a genocide that killed over 2 million people in Cambodia only 40 years ago, anything cultural opens up people's hearts, eyes and minds.
Be part of a growing community of people who enjoy going to the cinemas, who love to emerge with likewise movie lovers in a country that has seen the worst of its region in time. Like many people who went before you, you will be enjoying the atmospheres and humbled by the friendliness of the people.