All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 5
Host ID: 22687
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: March 17, 2020
We`re an English family with a 4-month old baby who live in an off-grid cave that we have renovated. We supply our energy from solar and turbine power, and our water comes from our well. We have 7 rescue dogs, 4 cats, a goat and chickens. We spend many enjoyable hours working on the garden or renovating the caves. We have carved this simple lifestyle that we love for ourselves, and we welcome you to come and share it with us.
We prefer to host helpers for short stays of 1-2 weeks, but longer stays are available for the right people, particularly if you are staying in your own camper van or tent (for which there will be reduced working hours required, accordingly).
Depending on your skills we need help with a number of jobs. From painting to gardening, to some minor renovation work - the jobs are varied. The property is peaceful and isolated but Baza town is only 10-15 minutes` drive away. The town is a good size with supermarkets, a wide range of shops, a hospital, health clubs, swimming pools, discos, bars and many restaurants. We go in to town 2 or 3 days a week and you are welcome to join us, or borrow a mountain bike to explore at your own pace.
* You are an animal lover - that goes without saying.
* You are conscientious - living off grid requires consideration, as does living with so many animals, so please respect and follow our rules when you stay.
* We ask for about 25 hours of work a week depending on how physical the work actually is. We have to be flexible because of the heat and working in this environment.
* We're also happy to accept campers in their own van or tent, for less hours per week - we can work out terms with you.
* You should be considerate of the fact that this is our home.
* A good sense of humour is essential.
What you can expect in return:
* Your own comfortable and private cave room
* Use of our home and involvement in our family life whilst you are here
* 3 good wholesome meals a day.
* Peace and quiet to do what you want in your spare time, of which there is plenty.
* Stunning mountain views and a hiker`s/biker`s paradise.
* To learn new skills
* Definitely some new canine and feline friends, and some human ones too ;)
* A sense of satisfaction at a day well spent
Baza is the heart of the Altiplano of Granada, in the North of the Granada province where it is steeped in history, bountiful flora and fauna, and where they hold the slightly bizarre but celebrated Cascamorras International festival, along with dozens of other fiestas locally. It is a beautiful rugged area, a simple taste of real Spain.
We look forward to hearing from you and adding something different to your travels.
(photos: 1-our cave front, 2-an example of some of the tasks needing help with, 3-the caves nestled in the valley, 4-guest bedroom, 5-living area, 6-New living area/library and entrance hall :o) )