All Year: Yes
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 23145
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: December 27, 2018
This is a learning farm that operates from Gopeng on a 200+ acre land. We are situated next to Perak Matrikulasi Kolej (Perak Matriculation College). This project was initiated by a developer about 10years ago, converting existing palm oil estate into fruit orchards and Foodscapes. To date, approximately 100+ acres have been converted to primarily durian trees, and integrated with calamansi, papaya, mangosteen, pomelo, passionfruit, ginger, jackfruit, lemons and other herbs to manage pests and as provide a food source for a future farm stay and farm to table programs. Livestock currently are on the farm are fish, chickens, geese, ducks and rabbits. We try to raise our livestock as naturally as possible and are looking at extending their enclosure and have all of them free ranging or on natural feed. Neighbors also have their herds of cows, goats and buffaloes grazing on the fields and there is a wide array of beautiful & wild birds and cranes.
Based on United Nations Development Program's 17 Sustainability Development Goals, Kebun Kaki Bukit is championing #SDG1 No Poverty #SDG2 Zero Hunger #SDG3 Good Health and Well-being for People #SDG4 Quality Education - Lifelong Learning opportunities #SDG12 Responsible Consumption and Production #SDG13 Climate Action #SDG14 Life Below Water #SDG15 Life on Land #SDG17 Partnerships for Goals.
We have hosted volunteer programs in a few projects since 2013 and has trained over 1000 volunteers and interns from all over the world on organic,natural & sustainable farming practices. We practice Zero Waste and 5Rs (Recycle, Reuse, Reduce, Refuse, Rot). Our environmental and social impacts are measurable and we aspire to produce “values-based” food that are grown using methods that are chemical-free, environmental-friendly, promoting farm-worker well-being, strengthening the local economy and educating community on origins of healthy food.
At the moment we are are looking for LONG-TERM(1-3 months) and skilled volunteers to kickstart various projects such as:
- Passionfruit trellis and planting
- Ginger and Turmeric planting
- Chicken enclosure planning and implementation
- Duck enclosure and implementation
- Agriculturists to design edible landscape and Tree surgeons for pruning fruit trees and orchard maintenance
- Construction & builders for animal enclosure , greenhouses, dehydrating houses, BSF houses
- Producing natural feed for animals
- Food technologists techniques, recipe and techniques to streamline the E2E process for downstream products from existing produce
- Cafe operations & setup experience, menu design and planning
- Setting up farm-stay, refurbishing and designing the abandoned quarters
- Digital marketing and campaigns
We have an affiliation with a local University (University Putra Malaysia) and hosted international internship programs from France and Finland on agriculture, environmental, engineering and natural construction.
We welcome volunteers who love the outdoors (which includes being out in the sun and rain) and seek experiential learning in the form of working and learning through the reflection of doing. We will provide you the platform and raw materials for you to hone your skills and exhibit your masterpiece. Please drop us a message if you feel you fit the bill. Upon interview, if we find you suitable, we will host you including food and lodging.
English, Malay, Chinese (Cantonese)
Accommodation & Facility
- Shared rooms in bungalow with ceiling fans and attached bath
- Volunteers do their own cooking and cleaning on rotation
- Mobile coverage for DIGI and UMobile is excellent, so please obtain your prepaid card before coming into farm
- This is a vegetarian farm with occasional meat to be served, so please inform us if you are fruitarian, vegan or vegetarian
- Our work schedule are Tues-Sat, off days are Sun & Mon, 8am-11am; 3pm-6pm
What else can I do in surrounding area?
cycling , jungle trekking, fishing, swimming, waterfall, hotsprings, caving, white-water rafting and many mountains/highlands in the vicinity. We are about 18 km from Ipoh the capital of the state Perak. There are many small but old townships in the state of Perak due to the history of tin-mining. Volunteers can also explore Pangkor Island or Gua Tempurung (cave) during the weekends.
Getting to the farm:
Volunteers can waze to Perak Matrikulasi Kolej if you are driving. Buses are available from KLIA/KLIA2 at RM42 with "Star Shuttle" and from Kuala Lumpur Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS) at RM20 with "Sri Maju" to Gopeng Bus Station.From Gopeng Bus Station, you can take a public bus to Kota Bahru and alight at bus-stop in front of Taman Gopeng Perdana, directly opposite SBPI and Perak Matrikulasi Kolej. Alternatively, you can take the KTM Electric Train (ETS) to Bt Gajah / or Kampar station.