All Year: Yes
Host ID: 3300
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: May 15, 2019
This is an environmental foundation, non-governmental voluntary organization founded in 1994, focusing on integrated coastal zone management. We currently manage two Special Areas of Conservation within the Natura 2000 network. These are Ghajn Tuffieha in Malta and Ramla l-Hamra in Gozo. Volunteers are generally based at the Elysium Centre at Ghajn Tuffieha, just overlooking the bays of Ghajn Tuffieha and Golden Bay. The centre has a nursery where indigenous and endemic plants and trees are propagated. We are looking for enthusiastic and dedicated people to volunteer with us and assist with site maintenance of both our locations for the period April to August.
The tasks vary seasonally and are subject to change as needs arise. However, some of the main duties include:
* Working in our specialised plant nursery for indigenous and endemic plants
* Guiding visitors around our project sites
* Helping in our organic olive grove
* Controlling invasive species
* Reporting on and surveying local species
* Assisting the Park Ranger with daily patrol
Requirements for Volunteer
* Must have experience in environmental science. Applicants with experience in report writing, ecology and GIS software and other mapping programs will be given top priority. OR Must have experience in organic farming, carpentry, plumbing or electrical work.
* Must speak and understand English at a good level
* Must be able to financially support oneself during the stay
* Minimum of one month stay to qualify for the accommodation
We have been hosting volunteers from different countries since 1996. Placements are available on both a short term (minimum 1 month stay at 30 hrs per week) and a long term basis for local or foreign volunteers on most of our projects.
Volunteers will be collected from the airport (either by a member of GAIA Staff or by taxi depending on times of arrival).
We will provide you with a 12 journey bus card and also provide you with a bicycle to get around, and to get to the site.
We provide FREE accommodation in a large 4 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment with two terraces and a well-equipped kitchen. The apartment is in Xemxija, 10-15 minute bus ride or 20-30 minute bike ride to Ghajn Tuffieha.
We provide all expenses relating to accommodation at the apartment, wifi, heating, water and electricity, but we DO NOT provide meals - volunteers cater for themselves!
Please send an email to email@example.com requesting an application form, if you think you are the right candidate for the job.