Ponte de Lima
All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 1.5
Category: Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 37787
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: August 22, 2020
Rula and I spent 10 years working for the Red Cross in the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Asia and Africa. Our boy is now 3 years old and happy to help in any gardening task. We are currently taking a break working on our small farm in the north of Portugal. Our dream is to create all the conditions to be able to host Syrian children for summer camps. We plan to grow a forest garden according to permaculture principles and build small bungalows and tree houses. Help is welcome :-)
Our farm is mostly woodland and is a 4 minute drive or 30 minute walk from the town center of Ponte de Lima where you can find many facilities, including library, big supermarkets and a lot of restaurants and cafes. We are 1 hour away from Porto and 20min from the ocean.
Offering shared bedroom and meals in exchange of 5 hours of daily work. One bicycle is available for guests. We do have Wi-Fi (usually available in the evenings).
Looking for volunteers with good physical condition, able to carry loaded wheelbarrows and moving rocks for example.
Wood splitting, electrical, construction skills or carpentry experience is highly appreciated.
Here are some tasks we always need help with:
- Cutting grass and clearing brush
- Cutting old trees and firewood
- a lot of digging and moving dirt
- Fixing stone walls
- Shopping, cooking and cleaning the house
- Taking care of the vegetable garden and feeding animals (dog, goats, chicken, pigs, ducks) all move freely around the garden
- Building a big treehouse for the kids!
- Building a new chicken coop
- Building an outdoor kitchen area with wood-fired oven - Done
- Building a russian banya by the river!
- building 4 bunk beds and compost toilet for the new volunteer accommodation (in the old mill) - done
- Building a garden shed to store firewood, tools, kayaks and bikes - done
- Installing outdoor lighting and sensors - ongoing
- Putting up fences and stone walls
- Rebuilding an old stone dam that used to divert part of the stream to the mill
- Rebuilding water wheel and mill mechanisms
You should bring working shoes and clothes. We provide gloves and gum boots if needed.
Laundry is done once a week.
Our farm is mostly woodland and is a 4 minute drive or 20 minute walk from the historical town of Ponte de Lima where you can find many facilities, including library, big supermarkets and a lot of restaurants and cafes and a canoeing club.
You can swim in the river that runs just in front of the house (it's a clean mountain river, quite cold though). A kayak is available too.
Twice a month there is a huge open air market in Ponte de Lima.
During the summer there are music festivals in Paredes de Coura and other nearby towns.
We are 1 hour drive away from Porto. There are regular bus connections to the airport and to Viana do Castelo, Porto, Braga.
One bicycle is available for guests. We do have Wi-Fi (100Mbps fiber!). On days off, we sometimes go hiking, rock climbing, canoeing, mountain biking or canyoning around the area. If you have experience and insurance you are welcome to join!
We prefer vegetarian meals, but do eat meat or fish often and raise free range animals for eggs and eventually meat.
Smoking is not allowed inside and near the house. Wine or beer is ok in moderation.