All Year: Yes
Category: Backpacker Hostel
Host ID: 42756
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: March 31, 2020
Thank you for checking out our profile. Due to the "shelter in place" order placed on San Francisco and now all of California, we will be suspending our helpx listing and the ability to take on volunteers at the present time, while the world tackles flattening the curve on Covid-19. The order is in place until April 30th, 2020 and could be extended or adjusted at any time. Please do take good care of each other and follow the recommendations and guidelines specified by your countries CDC or health department.
We value our staff & community and are following CDC prevention tips to maintain hygiene in our hostel.
DO THE FIVE
Wash hands for 20 sec using soap and water
Elbow - cough into it
Face - don't touch mouth, nose or eyes
Feet - stay 6 feet away from people
Feel sick - stay home and follow guidelines for reporting symptoms to CDC or your doctor.
Stay safe and sanitized, please continue to monitor our site for any updates. We hope to see you in the very near future as a guest or volunteer!
Green Tortoise Hostel
DO YOU GO ABOVE AND BEYOND?
Then read on and apply to volunteer with us!
Our hostel in San Francisco is a full service, fun, comfortable and welcoming hostel. Located in the North Beach area (Little Italy), it is famous for entertainment, bookstores and Beat Generation history. The hostel is close to Chinatown, Fisherman’s Wharf and public transportation that can take you all over the Bay Area. Guests comment that walking into the building is like coming home!
We are looking for 1-2 Helpers to join our already diverse staff and community of travelers. We are offering work trade for the Breakfast, Housekeeping & Food runner positions. ** If all our positions are full for the time you wish to volunteer, we are a great hostel to stay at anyway with tons of value & very reasonable rates.
Responsibilities include setting up, preparing, monitoring, and cleaning up after our large free breakfast. It is managed by ONE PERSON (5.5-6 hrs per shift) and best suited to a focused & detail oriented person who is social and outgoing that can converse with guests to make their stay in the hostel and city memorable. Breakfast shifts would be a combination of 3-4 weekdays and weekends including a Friday breakfast clean up shift. We are committed to providing a quality experience and finding helpers whose attitudes are in tune with this philosophy is imperative, along with a serious work ethic. Ideally suited to the traveler that can stay for up to 3 months and has other interests to pursue in the city.
Responsibilities include cleaning, making beds and laundry duties. Prior experience in making bunk bed style dorm beds and private rooms "hotel style" is helpful, but not mandatory, so long as you are patient & willing to learn, with a keen eye & attention to detail to maintain our top standards. Days and hours vary but do include weekends.
Food rescue runner:
For the person that likes to stay fit while working and cares about Excesses, Food Waste, Landfill and The Environment. Must be responsible, organized, detailed, on-time and able to pull a cart full of food 8 city blocks and then up a hill 2-5 days a week. This position can be combined with other positions to make up the hours.
All jobs are unpaid and based on a work trade agreement. In exchange for work we are offering a bed in a shared room in our hostel, free breakfast every morning and free food on Monday’s, Wednesday’s and Friday’s. Along with this our hostel also provides free wifi, pool table & ping pong, huge Ballroom, fully equipped guest kitchen, social events and other amenities such as a dry sauna and guest laundry ($).
Work hours and days off are negotiable but the standard is:
- 23 hours a week for a week's accommodation.
- A $20 CASH refundable security/key deposit is required in $US on arrival.
- A weeks payment in advance based on the current rate (the full amount or part there of is refundable when you leave and is dependent on the number of hrs you are ahead to get the total back)
- A shared female or mixed dorm will be provided from 4-8 people. Shared bathrooms along the hall.
- Free daily breakfast, free dinner x 3 per week & food rescue food when available. (2-3 days per week)
- Ideally we are looking for someone who can stay 1 to 3 months but longer stays can be reviewed once you are here.
- We are looking for upbeat and reliable people for 2020.
Inquiries about months ahead are considered if you are planning into the future, so keep asking.
- Please be detailed about your dates, availability and arrival,
- If you are already in the United States or flying in from out of the country.
- Provide your Skype or WhatsApp info so we can contact you if all the criteria is met.
Send us your story and what you are passionate about via Helpx or by email to [email protected] with a Resume/CV and all the details requested above. The more detailed you are expedites our ability to consider your request and respond promptly.
We hope to hear from you soon and welcome you to our team even sooner. Love your work :)
Taking inquiries for: 2020
- Cleaning shifts
- Food runner extraordinaire
Available February, 2020
- Overnight/Night Auditor) - Saturday, Sunday & fill in day shifts up to 5 shifts.
- 4-5 days a week Front desk
- Paid permanent positions
- A work permit, Visa or US citizenship is required for these positions - does not include accommodation. Apply in writing by sending a resume and cover letter with work experience and accomplishments to: [email protected] - Attention: Hiring Manager. (please do not send volunteer inquiries to this email)
- Green Tortoise San Francisco
********** For inquiries about volunteering at our Green Tortoise Seattle Hostel **please email them for details at - [email protected]