Olinda - Melbourne
All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 1.5 acres
Persons: 1 or 2 or more
Category: Non Organic Farmstay
Host ID: 44603
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: December 7, 2019
Hello and welcome to beautiful Olinda.
GENERAL: There are several DIY projects on the go and it is not expected that one person can do all the work. I look forward to hearing from any skilled and experienced Helpx candidates that can help develop a website, have design / drafting skills and can use AutoCad or can do tree pruning and lopping, or have a passion for gardening, repairing post and wire fences, building dry stone and bluestone walls, pathways and steps, and constructing a cabin / studio, or a wood shed or help with some bricklaying and painting projects.
I have accommodation available for a couple or two travelling friends or single male or female helpers and you are welcome to stay as long or as short as you like.
There is also outdoor power and water available and plenty of room with easy parking access for helpers who are looking for their own space with their own caravan, campervan or for campers to set up their tent and camp out.
Accommodation and three great meals plus freshly baked cakes are provided in exchange for six (6) hours of work per person, per day for five days per week, followed by two days off. Full and free laundry service provided during your days off.
*For seasonal workers or travellers working full time at nearby wholesale nurseries, berry farms or fruit orchards, temporary or short term accommodation is available. Daily payment is required. Property is located 8 minutes drive (5 KMS) to Monbulk.
Most of the work is outside, you need to be physically fit and prepared for manual labour. Currently I am also seeking assistance from an experienced arborist, or gardener or stonemason or bricklayer, plumber, skilled painter, carpenter / builder / handyperson.
1. The arborist may need to climb trees and use a chainsaw to cut trees or work from ground level and cut up logs or prune trees. Chainsaw, pruning equipment, fuel and ropes are provided.
2. The gardener is required to assist maintaining and beautifying the large garden. Garden maintenance duties include but not limited to: use a whipper snipper to tidy garden edges, drive a ride on mower to cut grass, use a leaf blower to clean paths, use an electric hedge trimmer to trim hedges. Rake leaves, hand weed garden beds, prune roses, shrubs and small trees. Collect fallen bark, branches and sticks off the ground. Gather fire wood from inside or outside property. Remove holly, blackberries, ivy, silver plant, jasmine and weeds and burn garden waste. Plant new or potted plants, spread mulch on garden beds. Soil preparation and water vegetable beds. External house clean. On rainy days, we work indoors painting or splitting firewood with a hydraulic wood splitter and stacking firewood under cover.
3. The stonemason is required to help build/ lay a pathway and build stairs with bluestone pitchers plus build a dry stone retaining wall and lay a rock path.
4. The carpenter/builder/handyman would be especially welcomed and needs to use power tools and help build a 6 x 4 metres steel shed to store fire wood. Plus help build a new cabin for use as helpers accomodation. If time and weather permits repair some post and wire fencing or work on some other projects. All tools, materials and engineering consumables are provided.
5. The bricklayer needs to assist build some brick posts for an outdoor Alfresco and steps for a verandah.
6. Require a skilled house painter to assist with indoor and outdoor house painting.
7. Also seeking someone with AutoCad skills to design working drawings for a Cabin / Studio, and a web developer to develop a website. I will write the online content and provide photos. The purpose of the website is to inform prospective Helpx about the kind of general garden maintenance and DIY projects for the skilled tradies or general handyperson.
8. The plumber needs to assist with replacing sewage pipes.
After you have completed your 30 hours of work per week, you have two free days so that you can enjoy sightseeing around the local area, or travel into Melbourne city or enjoy the time off in whatever way you choose. There are a two bicycles available for you to ride. I am also happy to negotiate longer working hours for extra days off.
Highlights of the local area: Olinda is located in the heart of the picturesque Dandenong Ranges where there are lots of beautiful nature/bush walks. The property is surrounded by cool climate Mountain Ash forest and many European deciduous trees. There is plentiful wildlife, including, wombats, wallabies, lyrebirds, Crimson Rosellas, Eastern Yellow Robins, Eastern Whipbirds, White-naped Honeyeaters, White-throated Treecreepers, Australian King-Parrots, Laughing Kookaburras and in the evening, you can enjoy a clear starlit sky. I am approximately 4.2 KMS from Monbulk and Olinda village where there are cafes, shops, local buses and just one hour away from Melbourne central.
**For International Travelers: At the airport buy a Telstra SIM card, Telstra has the best network coverage around Australia and it is the only SIM card that works in Olinda. The Telstra store at Melbourne Airport is located at shop 1.15 at the Qantas Domestic Airport Departure Level 1 First Floor, make sure the Telstra salesperson helps you to get the SIM card connected and working on the Telstra network and your mobile phone.
Note: For Helpx planning to stay two weeks or longer you are welcome to use my address to request a Tax File Number (TFN) online from the Australian Tax Office plus set up your bank account with your preferred bank. I am very happy to help you with these tasks provided that you arrive in Monbulk during weekdays and before the bank closes at 4.00pm.
*Option 1: From Melbourne/Tullamarine Airport take the Skybus cost $18.00 to Southern Cross (Spencer Street) Station and buy a Myki card to travel on Melbourne’s public transport.
*The MYKI card costs $6.00 to purchase and the local train and bus fares cost $4.40 for 2 hours travel. (Approximately total travel costs: $28.40).
*From Southern Cross Station take the train to Belgrave Station, at Belgrave take the number 663 bus to Lilydale and make sure you get off at Main Road Monbulk opposite Woolworths and Aldi and wait for me to collect you from the bus stop. (Make sure you ask the bus driver to let you off at Main Road Monbulk).
*Option 2: A much cheaper alternative with longer travel time but a more scenic drive (Approximately total travel costs: $10.40) is to take the 901 Bus from the airport to Ringwood Station and then take the train to Belgrave Station followed by the 663 bus to Monbulk and make sure you get off at Main Road Monbulk opposite Woolworths and Aldi and I will collect you from the bus stop. (Make sure you ask the bus driver to let you off at Main Road Monbulk). Route 901 is a Myki ticketed service. Myki card costs $6.00 plus travel costs from Airport to Ringwood and Monbulk is $4.40.
*Please text me on my mobile when you get on the 663 bus to Main Road Monbulk so that I can meet you at the bus stop in front of Woolworths and Aludi stores.
Thank you and happy travels..