All Year: all year
Area (ha): approx. 1 acre
Persons: 1 to 2
Host ID: 6828
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: March 13, 2020
We are a single family home on 3/4 of an acre in southern California, about 11 miles south of Santa Barbara. The work is variable depending on the weather. Our yard is butterfly, bird and bee friendly; so there is a lot of outdoor work. At times, a hive of bees lives in the corner of the back yard, making our home not good for people who are allergic to bees. Helpers MUST SPEAK ENGLISH FLUENTLY!
If you decide to come to help, please submit the following info two weeks prior to arrival:
**copy of passport and or drivers license
**proof of medical insurance
**If you have no previous hosts references, you must provide two references. These can be from work, school (teacher) or Landlord.
1. MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH HOUSEHOLD PETS! (both dogs and cats- if you are allergic, do not contact us) These pets are part of our family, and live inside the home. Tell us about your experience with dogs and cats.
2. Part of your daily family duties is to help take care of the pets in addition to helping cook and clean up for meals. If you do not have experience with pets, please do not contact us as we will not take you. PET DUTIES INCLUDE: Brushing, walking, feeding, and cleaning up after them.
3. Have a working cell phone for this area. We need to be able to communicate with you. Please do not arrive without at least the ability to TEXT in our area. Otherwise, we can not accept you.
4. Contact us as to potential dates and a date RANGE so we can schedule you.
5. Bring YOUR OWN COMPUTER/ tablet- we do not have a computer for your use. We do NOT want you texting/ phone calls, reading your "kindle" or otherwise being distracted while working- either on your own or alongside the hosts/ other helpers. This is both distracting and will take us longer to get the work completed. Please feel welcome to take care of these activities on your own time, not during the time we need you.
6. A MANDATORY TWO WEEK MINIMUM for helpers who have English as their second language is required, to lessen the potential for misunderstanding and increase everyone`s potentially positive experience.
7. Of the items on the list, we are looking for people willing to work outside in the garden and yard, especially clearing the area of weeds. Sometimes we need help trimming hedges as well.
8. We start early in the morning between 7:30AM and 8:00AM (this leaves the afternoon for you to explore the area). We ask that you are well rested and ready to work early. Our lights out policy in the main area of the house is at 9:30 PM. You are welcome to stay awake longer in your room as long as it does not take away from your work. You will work 5 full days after your arrival and then have the next 2 days off. Depending upon your arrival day, you will be working alongside the host or on self directed tasks.
9. Your room is in our home so you can expect to be part of our family. If you are more interested in isolating yourself from us by hanging out in your room to be on the computer/ cell phone 24/7, going out partying, we do not want you.
10. NO SMOKING - the hosts are allergic to all types of smoke!
SOME ITEMS WE NEED HELP WITH:
- Patching and Painting the laundry room
- Weeding; training tomato and blackberry plants (tying them back), harvesting (lettuce, kale garlic, herb garden, blackberries, tomatoes) cutting and drying our organic herbs, preparing the garden for winter.
- Weeding the yard and the garden
- Adding trimming in the yard to hold back the decorative rocks
- Electrical work for those who have such skills
- Hummingbirds: changing and cleaning hummingbird feeders
- Bird Bath: Cleaning and refilling with fresh water (we refill water daily, but don`t clean/ scrub it daily)
- Trimming hedges
- Replace wheels on metal garden shed doors
- Help fix up camper (make curtains, minor interior repairs)
- Power wash patios
- Washing and cleaning vehicles (cars, camper)
TRANSPORTATION/ HOW TO GET TO US:
The nearest airport is in Santa Barbara (SBA), and the Greyhound bus station in Santa Barbara.If you arrive in Santa Barbara, either by Greyhound bus or SBA (airport), you need to take the city bus #20 to Carpinteria- your stop is the 76 station - which is walking distance to our home. By train: make sure it stops in Carpinteria.The train station is walking distance from our home - only 15 minutes at the most. If you fly into another airport, Los Angeles, Burbank, or Long Beach, you can pay for arrangements with the Roadrunner shuttle service to bring you to our home, or the Santa Barbara Airbus will bring you to our town where you can catch the local bus to come to our neighborhood. Sometimes we can pick you up, depending on scheduling. But please make sure you arrive in Carpinteria, not Santa Barbara.
1. We are not able to do extra cooking in order to accommodate helpers with special diets. However, you are more than welcome to cook your own meals if your dietary considerations are different than what we will be preparing on a normal basis. We CANNOT accommodate children or pets. We have our own pets and do not want to disrupt their home environment.
2. What we have to offer you: good hospitality with great food, a quiet, beautiful relaxing room in our home; shared bathroom, mostly yours - but sometimes we use the toilet for convenience, wifi , enjoyment watching nature (birds, butterflies, caterpillars) in our yard, entertainment from our pets, all in an amazingly quiet neighborhood close to the beach and the mountains in Southern California.
3. Accommodation is up to 2 people at a time (partners or friends) in one available room. You do not always need to be with us; on your off time are highly encouraged to explore the area on your own! Please remember you are here to help. If you do not want to help around the house, please go to a hostel or hotel.
4. Our home is in a small town neighborhood on the outskirts of Santa Barbara, a short bus ride to the city center is easily accessible as the bus stop is only 1 ½ blocks away (about a 5 – 10 minute walk. Sometiems we can take you to the city of Santa Barbara. We are within a 20 minute walking distance to the beach as well. There are some wonderful hiking trails nearby - the foothills of the beautiful Los Padres national Forest is accessible from the nearby Franklin Trail.
5. Stipend is room and board only. You may be working alone at times or alongside another helper and/or the host. So being a self starter and having a good work ethic is a plus. We do ask that you be open to receiving both written and verbal instructions. PLEASE do not be offended by written notes or lists with instructions or chores needing done. It is simply an attempt to convey information and so that we do not forget what needs to be done.
6. We are looking for Non-SMOKING helpers who do not drink or use drugs, and want to use their free time doing something other than sitting around the house or watching TV - (TV is available, but we do not often have it on); You may enjoy exploring the surrounding area hiking, swimming or sightseeing.
7. Activities available include: walking on the beach, going swimming - in the ocean and the swimming pool (Carpinteria is known as the "World`s Safest Beach"), take the bus to Santa Barbara for shopping/ sightseeing, hiking in the local mountains- we can lend you our books on day hikes locally, visit the Harbor Seal Rookery (Jan to May), and visit the local farmers markets (every Thursday in downtown Carpinteria). Visting the First Friday events (first Friday of every month) and various festivals. I am always happy to offer information and suggestions as to how and where to explore the area but most likely will not be driving you around as your tour guide.
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or for more information.
We are looking forward to meeting you and hosting you here in Southern California!