All Year: Yes
Area (ha): 0.5
Host ID: 81641
Note: Please login or register if you wish to see all full size photos and part reviews. You will also require to upgrade to premier membership in order to view contact details, weblinks and complete reviews.
Last Updated: July 27, 2019
We are happy to host 1 or 2 people (couples or singles - we have the space) Chris (41) and I (Nic - 37) are both car fanatics & animal lovers. Nathan (Nic’s best friend since age 14 also lives here with us). We are in the small township of Pearcedale. We are about a 5-10 minute walk from town, bus stop is nearby. and we are surrounded by farms. Pearcedale is about 50 minutes to the CBD by car (about 1 hour & 15 minutes by train). It’s nestled in a perfect location to see the sites of Mornington Peninsula, Bass Coast & Westernport Hwy, and A little further away is Phillip island and in another direction the Dandenong Ranges.
We all work busy full time jobs and also have a small home based business, so we have odd jobs to do around the house. Tasks might comprise of mowing lawns, wiper snipping weeding gardens, washing windows, washing dishes, helping with washing, picking up dog or horse poop (with a pooper scooper or shovel) and maybe a few other odd jobs such as painting fences and deck/verandah, oiling decks. Also from time to time it might include ironing, some basic machine sewing (you don’t need prior skills to do this) and some other craft type tasks. Its honestly very straight forward work.
At some point we have some planting to do in the garden and also some trees in the paddock and re-mulching of the gardens, and topping up gravel on the driveway.
We ask for up to 20 hours per week each (it may be less depending on what we have on at the time, in exchange for food and your accommodation. We are quite flexible on when the work is done, which is useful if you find any paid work nearby. Note that as we all work, most of the time we will give you a run down on tasks in the evenings or weekends, but when you do the work is up to you, we are pretty flexible like that. Breakfast and lunch are self serve, we’ll eat together at night and expect that you would help with after dinner tidy up.
Dinner we will cook & eat together, but we welcome you to cook as well sometimes. We will do our best to accommodate dietary requirements, please let us know if you have them up front so we can work out if we can make it work for you. Sorry but due to a bad experience we can no longer accommodate vegans.
Please specify dietary requirements up when you enquire.
We have 6 pets (2 friendly dogs, a young puppy and 2 cats (1 friendly, the other not so and an old retired horse). Plus we have some other family and friends dogs visit occasionally. We have 1 rooms with a queen size bed for you.
You MUST love pets as ours are super friendly and spend alot of time indoors. The cats will try sleep on your bed or come for a cuddle on the couch.
The area is very quiet and peaceful, there is a nature reserve within 1 minute walk and horse snd cattle grazing in paddocks nearby. We are a short walk into the main township and public transport is by Bus (although we are happy to offer you a ride to places where we can accommodate it)
Our house also has a fantastic outdoor area with spa, that’s perfect to relax in as well and a pool table/ air hockey / table tennis as well as an outdoor TV & sound system, a BBQ, Pizza Oven.
Unlimited internet and we have Netflix & FOXTEL as well. Thus is a big house and there is multiple comfortable spaces for you to unwind / relax.
Inside our house we have air con throughout, 2 living areas (1 main lounge and the other is more of a games room as its full of gaming consoles) Our kitchen includes a big 900mm oven, dishwasher, microwave, thermomix and pretty much all the mod cons, so if you like to cook, you are welcome to indulge yourself.
Chris & I are non smokers, but Nathan is a smoker (strictly outdoors only)
While you stay with us you will be a part of our family. We regularly have BBQ’s or Pizza nights and our friends will also make you feel like home, often inviting our house guests to their own BBQ’s and events.
Sometimes Chris and I will take our helpx guests our for dinner as well or to do some sight seeing if time permits.
Some notes about staying with us:
• We now ask for copies of ID up front (we can take a photo or you can send a copy through)
• We ask for your emergency contact details, just on the off chance something awful was to happen, at least we can get in touch with your loved ones (we hope this never happens)
• Please advise of dietary requirements when you enquire, we need to assess if we can accommodate them prior to your staying.
• Arrival to our house is Friday evenings or Saturday ./ Sunday during the day. We will consider a Thursday evening arrival, but we are not flexible any more on other day arrivals (again bad experience with previous helpx)
• We are happy if you find paid work, but if its more than 20 hours a week then we may ask for you to pay some rent, given it will be difficult for you to complete any work in exchange (again bad experience with previous helpx)
• We prefer stays of at least 2 weeks.
• You need to be committed to caring for our house and property. This means simple things like closing gates and locking doors if you go out. Also if you break something, just be up front and let us know.
• You are responsible for washing you own bed linen & towels during the stay (its provided) we do ask that you ensure the bed is left made with clean sheets when you leave (we have spare linen)
• We kindly request no food be in bedrooms. If you have lollies, these must be kept up in top shelf of wardrobe as one of our dogs is a master lolly thief and will find them otherwise.
• Our fridge and pantry are well stocks, but please supply your own alcoholic drinks and soft-drinks if you like them. We have a great coffee machine, tea and filtered water than you are welcome to use as much as little as you like.
• You will need to supply your own personal toiletries (personal soap, shampoo etc)
• Very occasionally we have family stay on a weekend and may require the spare room, in this case, you may be temporarily moved to the sofa bed in the games room – but this scenario is not very common and we will usually avoid it if we can. It just depends on who the family is that’s staying.
We have had some excellent Helpx guests over the past year, several who have been return visitors. The last 2 Christmases we have had HelpX guests be a part of our family Christmas. We just ask our guests to be considerate while staying with us and you will be rewarded with a stay in a great house, with laid back, friendly people and you will make friends with our friends during your stay if you are.